PaulStretch3 preview(12) release

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lxegs wrote:beta 7 is working great ! no more crashes !

thx
Great to hear! :party:

Yes, here too.

Thank you - awesome work :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

works great! thank you for this & HourGlass!

Xenakios wrote: -Shortcut key 0 restores default parameter values except main volume. (FFT size still won't .[/b])
:tu: :hug:

Nice, not crashing now. I suppose it might have been helpful to report that the app was generating an illegal instruction exception? In my experience though, that can happen for any number of less obvious reasons than an actual intentional illegal instruction.

In any case, I'm easily able to run three looping instances driving the rearoute driver. It makes for an awesome real time Paulstretch looping texture generation machine.

ghettosynth wrote:Nice, not crashing now. I suppose it might have been helpful to report that the app was generating an illegal instruction exception? In my experience though, that can happen for any number of less obvious reasons than an actual intentional illegal instruction.

In any case, I'm easily able to run three looping instances driving the rearoute driver. It makes for an awesome real time Paulstretch looping texture generation machine.
Yeah it might have been a useful clue to know it was about an illegal instruction and not the all too common access violation. Anyway, my mistake for not asking about the actual error message in more detail. I assumed it was going to be just that usual useless Microsoft access violation message... :x (OS-X crash reports can be more useful since they show the stack traces of all threads, with function names and all...)

Maybe in the not too distant future, you might not need to run several instances of the app (which I haven't tested at all anyway :cry: ) to get polyphony... :wink: (Or maybe no app needed at all...Sigh, what a thought.)

Xenakios wrote: Maybe in the not too distant future, you might not need to run several instances of the app (which I haven't tested at all anyway :cry: ) to get polyphony... :wink: (Or maybe no app needed at all...Sigh, what a thought.)
It's not just polyphony though. I thought about some feature requests but then decided better of it because it is actually more useful to process the channels externally, e.g., by using a filter plugin in lieu of the the internal filter.

Now, what would be useful would be the ability to sync/play multiple loops with the same, or at least some of the same, e.g., same loop points/stretch, settings. For what I'm doing now though, I like that they are unsynchronized and that I can feed them to different outputs for external processing.

In the last posts, loving these phrases -"illegal instruction exception" and "common access violation".
Guess Cyber punk poetry is real.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Thank you, Xenakios, for this brilliant app. Especially I want to thank you for the multi channel implementation - fantastic. beta 7 is running fine here so far on el Capitan.

dreamvoid wrote: the multi channel implementation - fantastic. beta 7 is running fine here so far on el Capitan.
Great! 8) The next version will hopefully have some improvements for the multichannel operation. It will allow up to 32 output channels. (I think JUCE's audio file writing code might blow up beyond that, but it's probably something they can fix if asked to...) Maybe something else too.

Naturally it would be nice to have the stretcher instances be a bit more independent for the multichannel operation...For example, being able to have different pitch shifts/other parameters in each one would be ace. Also allow more flexible routing for them, for example even if the output audio device will use just 4 or 5 channels, one could still use more stretchers by routing/panning them as desired...I will have to see how much I can change for something that should be a "beta". It was probably a mistake to call this initial release a beta, "preview" or "prerelease" might have been a better description. I will probably switch to using that for version 3.1 or so.

Beta 7 running fine here too, on OS 10.9.5.

Only – though perhaps I've misunderstood how it should work – when I select Harmonics and switch 'num harmonics' from 0 to 1 or more, there's no audio output at all.

I don't know if I need to input MIDI, but I can't see any setting for selecting MIDI inputs. Also, the Harmonics smooth slider can't be moved, even though it's highlighted in yellow.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: when I select Harmonics and switch 'num harmonics' from 0 to 1 or more, there's no audio output at all.

I don't know if I need to input MIDI, but I can't see any setting for selecting MIDI inputs. Also, the Harmonics smooth slider can't be moved, even though it's highlighted in yellow.
Depending on the input sound and other settings, you might need to add a lot of harmonics before you hear anything. The bandwidth should be at some moderate value, lower values easily kill the sound volume. The "MIDI note" parameter just means that the number corresponds to a MIDI semitone note number, there is no MIDI input involved. That parameter should usually be in the lower half range (around 12-48) in order for the harmonics to be able to be generated. The harmonics smooth slider has only 2 positions, on and off, so you might need to move it quite a lot before the other setting is applied. (That should obviously be a checkbox instead, but I haven't had the chance to change it to work like that.)

Xenakios wrote:
Spitfire31 wrote: when I select Harmonics and switch 'num harmonics' from 0 to 1 or more, there's no audio output at all.

Depending on the input sound and other settings, you might need to add a lot of harmonics before you hear anything. The bandwidth should be at some moderate value, lower values easily kill the sound volume. The "MIDI note" parameter just means that the number corresponds to a MIDI semitone note number, there is no MIDI input involved. That parameter should usually be in the lower half range (around 12-48) in order for the harmonics to be able to be generated. The harmonics smooth slider has only 2 positions, on and off, so you might need to move it quite a lot before the other setting is applied. (That should obviously be a checkbox instead, but I haven't had the chance to change it to work like that.)
Thank you for the instructions! Everything OK now… :oops:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

The interface feels like it is getting a little cluttered. I have no idea what the things on the bottom left are or what half of the controls do. That was a big problem with the old Paulstretch, TBH.

dangayle wrote:The interface feels like it is getting a little cluttered. I have no idea what the things on the bottom left are or what half of the controls do. That was a big problem with the old Paulstretch, TBH.
Well, there isn't much to do about the number of parameters/controls, that's what the algorithm has and there are even more available to be added. Do you think they should not be exposed to the user, then? Tooltips could maybe be added, but there isn't necessarily a lot that could be written as help for those... edit : And of course some groups of parameters could be consolidated into less or smaller controls. This GUI is just a starting point because there has to be something, not anything final.

This is for controlling the order of the additional spectral processing stages, which is a new feature compared to the original PaulStretch :

It could be made hidden by default I suppose, as it's not an essential thing. Just nice to have in order to have a bit more control over the processing.

Return to “Effects”