Steinberg built-in synths (Spector, Mystic, etc)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Retrologue 2 and Padshop sound great. Spector and Mystic aren't so hot but they can still be useful because they're capable of some sounds that aren't easily achievable with other synths. Prologue is made pretty much obsolete by Retrologue.

Romantique Tp wrote:Retrologue 2 and Padshop sound great. Spector and Mystic aren't so hot but they can still be useful because they're capable of some sounds that aren't easily achievable with other synths. Prologue is made pretty much obsolete by Retrologue.
Agreed. I can see that if they were all that you had that they'd seem pretty limiting, but as certain kinds of flavors they (Mystic and Spectre) are interesting.

Thanks for the vids and articles linked.

As to the quality of the synths... that kind falls outside the scope of the thread, but obviously it's a free err.. country? Internet? I certainly have no shortage of "better" synths, but it's about trying to learn to use something different. Most instruments have some purpose, and what sounds good can have more to do with what you do with it than what it sounds like on its own in a vacuum (figuratively, of course... it wouldn't actually sound like anything in a vacuum). Like I said, debate away, but I quickly see this becoming another typical KVR gladiator match of egos and opinions.

i like the waveforms you can choose in prologue but other than that i use retrologue

spector and mystic are ok but i think theyre not fun to use with how you draw the impulse if you could just click without dragging the mouse they would be better to use

anyone have any suggestions on alternatives to spector and mystic

Sg1122 wrote:i like the waveforms you can choose in prologue but other than that i use retrologue

spector and mystic are ok but i think theyre not fun to use with how you draw the impulse if you could just click without dragging the mouse they would be better to use

I haven't seen too many spectral synths out there - there are probably a few I don't know about, but the ones that come to mind that might get you similar sounding things although a much different architecture or work flow are:

Alchemy (if you use a sample as the "spectral" option instead of the usual granular, at which point you can use the primitive drawing tools to erase or add harmonic material - although this probably isn't a great option because you can't buy it anymore, but if you have Logic I think a much better version is now built in to that)

Izotope's Iris2, which I have not used but looks pretty cool

Spectral by LinPlug but I have not used it

Zebra2 also has some spectral capability

If you have Windows, then try out Spectrobits which is free (again, have not used it).

Similar to Iris2 is this software ANS emulation which I am going to try as soon as I get home http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/ans/

This one also looks like it might be kinda cool if a bit simple: https://www.oscillicious.com/sodasynth/

Someone else can probably come up with things that are closer to Spector and Mystic, but these are what I can think of or was able to find just thinking spectral synthesis in general.

goldenhelix wrote:
Sg1122 wrote:i like the waveforms you can choose in prologue but other than that i use retrologue

I haven't seen too many spectral synths out there - there are probably a few I don't know about, but the ones that come to mind that might get you similar sounding things although a much different architecture or work flow are:

I really like Iris2, but I would say that it's quite a bit different to use in practice than either spector or mystic. There's another synth that's in the same vein, I think that it's an MFL creation though, I can't remember at the moment, but if you search Iris2 and Max For Live, and/or Ableton, it might who up in the threads.

ghettosynth wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:

I really like Iris2, but I would say that it's quite a bit different to use in practice than either spector or mystic. There's another synth that's in the same vein, I think that it's an MFL creation though, I can't remember at the moment, but if you search Iris2 and Max For Live, and/or Ableton, it might who up in the threads.
Yeah, I honestly can't think of a synth that looks like it has a similar interface, etc. to Spector or Mystic. I mainly just tried to provide some ideas of ones that might give you that "spectral" sound, although Iris2 seems certainly capable of much more, it seems like it might be able to give you similar tones if that's what you're looking for. In terms of spectral and formant type sounds, I guess Zebra2 is probably the closest one that I have personally used to getting similar tones, but that is just a small part of it overall.

goldenhelix wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:

Yeah, I honestly can't think of a synth that looks like it has a similar interface, etc. to Spector or Mystic. I mainly just tried to provide some ideas of ones that might give you that "spectral" sound, although Iris2 seems certainly capable of much more, it seems like it might be able to give you similar tones if that's what you're looking for. In terms of spectral and formant type sounds, I guess Zebra2 is probably the closest one that I have personally used to getting similar tones, but that is just a small part of it overall.
I already told you so: These are extracted from TERA. So, get TERA, and you'll get these, and other things too. OTOH, TERA development seems like to have been frozen :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Steinberg should put all their DAW plugins into a VST package for other DAWs to buy, my 2 cents.

fmr wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:

I already told you so: These are extracted from TERA. So, get TERA, and you'll get these, and other things too. OTOH, TERA development seems like to have been frozen :shrug:
I'm not the one that wanted this so.... :shrug:

Hanz Meyzer wrote:Steinberg should put all their DAW plugins into a VST package for other DAWs to buy, my 2 cents.
They kind of do that: https://www.steinberg.net/de/products/v ... start.html

thanks for the suggestions i will demo them soon

chk071 wrote:
Hanz Meyzer wrote:Steinberg should put all their DAW plugins into a VST package for other DAWs to buy, my 2 cents.
They kind of do that: https://www.steinberg.net/de/products/v ... start.html
That has nothing to do with what we have been talking about (even because the synths that we were discussing are NOT from Steinberg). That collection only has HALion, HALion libraries (including The Grand and HALion Orchestra), Groove Agent and Groove Agent libraries, Padshop and Retrologue.
Fernando (FMR)

What happened to A1 ?

Numanoid wrote:What happened to A1 ?

It was licensed from Waldorf, and programmed by Wolfram Franke. Since Wolfram isn't even with Waldorf anymore, I guess that answers your question :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”