Do all DAWs suck?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All DAWs are great when they do what you want them to do, and they all suck when they don't.

That said, I remember marveling that we could record MIDI notes and play them back. Then audio. I think we're kind of spoiled.

agreed. most daw do NOT suck. it's all subjective to the user.
you can do things now which were inconceivable ten years ago.

jonljacobi wrote:All DAWs are great when they do what you want them to do, and they all suck when they don't.
Don't think i agree. I would rather correct it like this:
All DAW's can be great when you know what you're doing, and they all suck when you don't.
I have experience with: Studio One, Cubase, Ableton Live, Reaper, and Bitwig Studio. They all do the job really, and they all concentrate on a certain workflow, or, even, target audience, like Live, and, to a degree, Bitwig. I don't know why any of those would "suck" by default. And, for certain members of this, or other forums, it seems like a cheap excuse for the own incapability, or unwill to finish, or even start something. Not that i ever finished much, but, at least i don't complain too much. :P

You want your daw not to suck live.... Don't use it live.
Use a host like cantabile. Doesn't record does play back tracks and still can host vst's.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Reaper sucks, all the rest are great .. well except Live, Bitwig, Studio One, Logic, PT, Sonar, Cubendo, Reason, Traktor, Mixbus, DP and bunch of others I'm too lazy to list that suck too. Bars & Pipes was the only DAW that didn't suck.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

tapper mike wrote:You want your daw not to suck live.... Don't use it live.
Use a host like cantabile. Doesn't record does play back tracks and still can host vst's.
Actually, Cantabile does record FYI.

They introduced an auto record feature in version 3.

I don't fantasize features that I have never used, like some people appear to do. I'm simple like that. So, all I've really used was Cubase and it usually doesn't suck and when it does I have pushed the numbers-crunching capacity of my machine to the extent of a crash or my machine is failing to be good at real-time. My latency has always kind of sucked but when other users' is good, it's probably my machine, which when the problem was its worse spec'd out just dandy.

I work around issues, there aren't many, and get on with my life. which sucks.
I must have a simple workflow.

jancivil wrote:I don't fantasize features that I have never used, like some people appear to do. I'm simple like that. So, all I've really used was Cubase and it usually doesn't suck and when it does I have pushed the numbers-crunching capacity of my machine to the extent of a crash or my machine is failing to be good at real-time. My latency has always kind of sucked but when other users' is good, it's probably my machine, which when the problem was its worse spec'd out just dandy.

Chasing latency problems with a Windows is annoying, for sure. I did this with a previous machine to find out that it was actually some hardware failure on the motherboard. A frustrating process for sure, but I learned a lot along the way.

The question should be: Do some DAWs suck? Because some really do. Rare ones. But maybe the question should be: Do all DAW users suck? That's more like it... :hihi:

The thing is, many people these days have found themselves wanting to be making tunes and found that it's not something you do over breakfast. It involves loads of knowledge and persistence. Not necessarily in that order. And when they realise that, then things start to suck. :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Backsnack wrote:
jancivil wrote:I don't fantasize features that I have never used, like some people appear to do. I'm simple like that. So, all I've really used was Cubase and it usually doesn't suck and when it does I have pushed the numbers-crunching capacity of my machine to the extent of a crash or my machine is failing to be good at real-time. My latency has always kind of sucked but when other users' is good, it's probably my machine, which when the problem was its worse spec'd out just dandy.

Chasing latency problems with a Windows is annoying, for sure. I did this with a previous machine to find out that it was actually some hardware failure on the motherboard. A frustrating process for sure, but I learned a lot along the way.
This was suckage on the other platform. AFAIC, it's a dark art, real-time performance. I'm not too swift apparently. ;)

hollyWorse wrote:I'm still looking for reasonable answers.
Answer is that it's problem with you not with DAW. Somehow thousand of producers and musicians have no problem to work with and make music on DAW's. But people are divided into those who can only complain and those who actually do the job.

pixel85 wrote:
Answer is that it's problem with you not with DAW. Somehow thousand of producers and musicians have no problem to work with and make music on DAW's. But people are divided into those who can only complain and those who actually do the job.
But, is it a coincidence that all DAWs suck as well as the vast majority of the music created during the era of DAWs? :lol:

SJ_Digriz wrote:
pixel85 wrote:
But, is it a coincidence that all DAWs suck as well as the vast majority of the music created during the era of DAWs? :lol:
Definitely not majority of music that I'm listen to :wink:

the vast majority of all music created with any tools of any age sucks

jancivil wrote:the vast majority of all music created with any tools of any age sucks
Absolutely true, however the ability to create and distribute was not the same so the quantity vs quality graph is greatly skewed. Plus it was far harder for absolute shite to become a meme that then proliferates said crap (artists thinks "wow I have talent", audience thinks "yeah, you're hilarious for thinking you have talent"). Although I guess unintentional comedy is a sort of entertainment ... like a football to the nuts.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”