!Epoch, for the next 4 years

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks a lot Colin!

Would those shared resources also work in a host like Bitwig where each instance optionally runs in it's own sandbox (which works best for me)?
I run an older 6 core i7 @4.1 GHz from 2013 with 64 GB RAM and two GPUs (mainly doing 3D graphics), so hopefully !Epoch will run smoothly.

If you don't have it up in the next couple of months, I'll probably look into writing my own Midi VSTs. Could be even fun :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

colin@loomer wrote: The result of all this: it's very fast.
Its "release time" parameter actually seems to be on the slower side. :lol:
j/k, eagerly anticipating.

ThomasHelzle wrote:What's the current status?
Still not gonna be released in 2017.

AUv3 on IOS supports MIDI out now, just saying :)
Duh

ThomasHelzle wrote: Would those shared resources also work in a host like Bitwig where each instance optionally runs in it's own sandbox (which works best for me)?
It all depends on how Bitwig sandboxes instances. Shared static data only works when two or more instances live in the same process; if Bitwig uses a separate process for each instance, then unfortunately they cannot share resource data (although in that case you have access to the full memory space per instance anyway, so you'll have oodles of per-process memory to spare.)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: Would those shared resources also work in a host like Bitwig where each instance optionally runs in it's own sandbox (which works best for me)?
It all depends on how Bitwig sandboxes instances. Shared static data only works when two or more instances live in the same process; if Bitwig uses a separate process for each instance, then unfortunately they cannot share resource data (although in that case you have access to the full memory space per instance anyway, so you'll have oodles of per-process memory to spare.)
Bitwig has three different settings for this: one does completely isolate each instance/plugin, one does separate 32 and 64 bit plugins and the last is more like traditional DAWs where all plugins that have the same bit depth as the host run inside the audio engine directly, all plugins with a different bit depth run in one separate thread.
Interestingly, with higher core-counts, the per-instance variant is the fastest.
And I'm not concerned with memory as such, it's just that loading can be slow in some cases, depending on how the plugin loads it's resources.

Until then: Can anybody recommend a framework for simple Midi plugins? Would be cool if it already handles some of the gruntwork...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ThomasHelzle wrote:Until then: Can anybody recommend a framework for simple Midi plugins?
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... ugNScript/

atukao wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Until then: Can anybody recommend a framework for simple Midi plugins?
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... ugNScript/
Thanks atukao!
I somehow forgot about this one. Could be a nice middle ground between something like !Epoch and full C++ coding.

I'll give it a try!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Colin, I'm sorry to ask this in here but that's because there doesn't seem to be another thread dedicated to the development of Aspect.

Are you still working on Aspect v2, with perhaps a new GUI and will it possibly get an onboard delay module and a lovely dedicated arp/sequencer (I assume there's more than enough code/experience for that now) ? If so, should I be so bold to ask about an ETA? :)

I love Aspect! :love:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Thanks Nielzie. Yes, Aspect 2 is underway (new GUI, better modulation options, etc), but it's been relegated to low priority whilst I finish of this beast. With the technical wizardry I've employed doing this, I could probably code Aspect 2 blindfolded, underwater, on a ZX Spectrum.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Ahh yes, wouldn't it be a great feelling to be able to finish lots of smaller projects within (probably) a few months after being occuppied by this beast for years.. Hopefully you'll be able to finish this product soon :tu:

!Epoch will be huge though I'm a little afraid that it has become somewhat too complex for my simple little brain. :scared: I'm more of a simple ARP/Seqencer person. Maybe a "light version" would be better for my poor soul. :hihi:

colin@loomer wrote:Thanks Nielzie. Yes, Aspect 2 is underway (new GUI, better modulation options, etc), but it's been relegated to low priority whilst I finish of this beast. With the technical wizardry I've employed doing this, I could probably code Aspect 2 blindfolded, underwater, on a ZX Spectrum.
Inexplicably the IT community is shocked at the sudden interest in the second hand market for ZX Spectrums
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Colin, will something like this be possible:

"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

What is that?

Nielzie wrote:What is that?
In case you mean the shape that is formed by connecting the turquoise dots I would guess it's a stag.
If not... dunno...

:hihi:

Return to “Loomer”