Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
Aloysius
KVRAF

20875 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from a computer

Postby Aloysius; Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:33 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Hi Rolf!
raymondwave
KVRist

194 posts since 2 May, 2014

Postby raymondwave; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:02 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Soo.. I had a go with Largo again, trying the LFO's which last time gave me a hard time.

Can someone confirm/explain the LFO behavior to me:
1. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <free> – Note starts at random LFO phase, but plays correctly as long as note is on (so not free, but random)
2. Clock off / Sync on / Phase <any value> - Basically a free running lfo (but can't be tempo synced)
3. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <any value other than free> - LFO starts at phase value for each note/DAW play (works correct IMO)
4. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <free> - LFO starts at random phase value for each note/DAW play
5. Clock on / Sync on / Phase <any value> - LFO starts at DAW play, Phase value makes no difference

I'm confused here, should it work that way or? IMO only 3. works as it should? Or maybe I just don't understand the logic. (I did read the manual).
Doc Brown
KVRist

388 posts since 13 May, 2012, from Minnesota

Postby Doc Brown; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

raymondwave wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:
raymondwave wrote:Give them another 5 years - bugs like that are not easy to resolve! You in a hurry? :roll:

I wonder if I've ever even used PPG Wave 3.v in any song, Largo I've used in a few, it seems a bit less buggy.

Just had another go with PPG Wave 3.v. Started with the preset "PPG Wave 000 A", made some tweaks, saved project, closed and re-opened. The plugin loaded with "PPG Wave 032 B" preset selected.

Back to other synths I guess, see you PPG in another 2,5 years.

I hear you loud and clear. I made the greatest sounding wavetable patch that I have ever done in Largo and saved it. Next time I opened the project it was reverted back to the first factory preset and my saved one was gone! I tried recreating it and it is close but doesn't have the magic of the original. It was like the holy grail of my personal patches and their wonky, jacked up preset system messed it up!

I haven't touched a Waldorf synth since. I tried contacting them via their support and the replies were zero over the course of a year. Worst customer support of any developer by far for me.

I'm done with Waldorf which is a shame because I love their distinct sound. :uhuhuh:
chk071
KVRAF

13879 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

raymondwave wrote:Soo.. I had a go with Largo again, trying the LFO's which last time gave me a hard time.

Can someone confirm/explain the LFO behavior to me:
1. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <free> – Note starts at random LFO phase, but plays correctly as long as note is on (so not free, but random)
2. Clock off / Sync on / Phase <any value> - Basically a free running lfo (but can't be tempo synced)
3. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <any value other than free> - LFO starts at phase value for each note/DAW play (works correct IMO)
4. Clock on / Sync off / Phase <free> - LFO starts at random phase value for each note/DAW play
5. Clock on / Sync on / Phase <any value> - LFO starts at DAW play, Phase value makes no difference

I'm confused here, should it work that way or? IMO only 3. works as it should? Or maybe I just don't understand the logic. (I did read the manual).

I can only comment on number #1, but, as far as i can tell, neither the oscillators, nor the LFO's in Largo (or many, many other soft synths) are really free running, but, rather start at a random phase, triggered by a note on event (or, rather, a signal). Some plugins, like Spire, or u-he's stuff, for example, feature "real" free running oscillators and LFO's, because, obviously, they also do processing, when there is no signal. IMO, they should rather call it "random" than "free" in Largo, and other synths, which behave the same way. In Spire, you can even set the oscillators to either be free running, or start with a random phase, triggered by incoming notes, using the "ANA" control in the osc section.

What i wonder is why the LFO would be free running, when you set a constant phase value. I'll have to check that out. The oscillators definitely start at the phase you set them too.

Edit: OK, so, your number #2 works perfectly fine for me. You set the LFO to a phase value, it starts at this phase value. No free running LFO here.

#4 works fine for me too, CONSIDERING what i wrote about the "free" running LFO being none, but, rather a LFO starting at random phase, triggered by signal/incoming notes.

For #5, i guess, the start phase should be determined by the playback position, triggered by the DAW, if it set to anything but "free"? Not sure about that one.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
raymondwave
KVRist

Postby raymondwave; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:31 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

I haven't ran into a "random running" LFO before, but I don't maybe use LFO's that much in every soft synth. Largo would be crazy good for atmospheric evolving pads and arps, but the LFO's need to be consistent for that. I prefer LFO to act exactly the same on each run for proper DAW work.

It makes no sense to me why an arpeggio with 4 bar tempo synced LFO going to filter freq doesn't nicely follow the LFO, but rather each note is a random phase on the LFO.

Edit. what setup are you using chk071? mac or pc, which daw and au or vst? I need to read through your reply later with better time and see if it matches my experience or not.
chk071
KVRAF

13879 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

I just tried in Studio One 3 Pro on PC. Interestingly, #5 also worked without any playback going, at least the second time, after i hit start and stop in the DAW. I think it didn't work, before i started playback one time in the DAW. LFO simply didn't trigger then.
Good synths don't have a sweet spot. They ARE the sweet spot.
Ingonator
KVRAF

11593 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Besides multiple updates for the Waldorf plugins currently being work in progress (including multiple bug fixes for PPG Wave 3.V...) Waldorf recently (last week) posted at Facebook about currently not using MacOS High Sierra with their plugins:
https://www.facebook.com/WaldorfMusic

A quote from the Facebook page:
Dear Waldorf customer,

MacOS High Sierra is currently not supported by Waldorf software VSTi's or plug-ins. We highly recommend NOT to update at present and wait for the result of our compatibility check. Thank you for understanding.

Your Waldorf Music Team.

This would not be the first time that an OSX update makes updating the plugins necessary...

Personally i am using Windows 10 64-bit and do not own a Mac so i do not see OS specific issues here. Those people that work directly at the Waldorf office usually got a Mac as their main computer.
Ingo Weidner
HW: Blofeld, Pulse 2, UltraNova, Bass Station 2
SW: PPG 3.V, Largo, Nave, Icarus, Avenger, Serum, Legend, Saurus 2, Diva, Repro-5, VC 6, Komplete 10, many more
i5-3350P / Win 10 x64 / Live 9 / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Bitwig 2 / Studio One 3
jdavis3
KVRist

55 posts since 27 Jun, 2012

Postby jdavis3; Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:05 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

I have emailed Waldorf support a few times over the last couple of months requesting help with getting a link put in my account for Waldorf Edition 2 but I have never received a response.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can reach them to have this done?

Thanks
raymondwave
KVRist

Postby raymondwave; Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

There seems to have been an update to Largo and PPG Wave v3.

I can now save and load Studio One projects without the sound changing, but still to my ears some patches don't load correctly. This is related to 2.V banks and I don't have 2.V installed anymore, so I can't be sure tho.
PietW.
KVRian

724 posts since 6 May, 2010, from Munich, Germany

Postby PietW.; Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:17 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

What's new for Largo and PPG V.3?
raymondwave
KVRist

Postby raymondwave; Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Bug fixes I think. Can't remember anymore. You can see the version history only when you launch the installer, convenient isn't it :).
raymondwave
KVRist

Postby raymondwave; Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:11 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Updated my Waldorf Edition to v2 with the sales now making it only 7.50€.

I tried to load a few presets from both PPG Wave 3.V and 2.V and still 3.V loads some presets wrong. It's unbelievable.
telecharge
KVRist

280 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Postby telecharge; Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:26 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

raymondwave wrote:Updated my Waldorf Edition to v2 with the sales now making it only 7.50€.

Nice deal. Is this reproducible?
raymondwave
KVRist

Postby raymondwave; Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:24 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Is the deal reproducible? Today probably, they have a 50 % off until today on all synths.

I got the edition 1 -> 2 upgrade as i have the old v1, which I wasn't able install anymore.
Caine123
KVRAF

4762 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 am Re: Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

Guess imma pass on waldorf then :D

Such crao support wont get my money. Hope this will be spreaded so others know it too.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments