Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

replicas?

boombaxx
KVRist

218 posts since 10 Mar, 2005

Postby boombaxx; Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 pm replicas?

Whats the point of making a replica of an old synth then making it so small you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to use the bloody thing. Or you have to use a controller keyboard, why not use the soft synth version that is 1/4 the price and has more features. Because the replica is built to a price that does not include such extras. I would be a bit apprehensive using a replica on stage. Although my don't take the brown acid moment is Moog and there Minimoog for £3000. Wow instant collectors item that will never see the light of day on a stage. It seems Moog have moved into the antique business along with quite a few others. At least they stay in tune
Mr Arkadin
KVRian

1455 posts since 11 Mar, 2003

Postby Mr Arkadin; Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 am Re: replicas?

I thought this was going to be about the classic Tubeway Army album. Oh well...
Daags
KVRAF

1839 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Postby Daags; Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 am Re: replicas?

boombaxx wrote:Whats the point of making a replica of an old synth then making it so small you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to use the bloody thing.

They're marketed mainly for the bedroom producers. The smaller they are, the more you can fit in your bedroom. Treating them as a sound module isn't going to put people off, as sales figures confirm.

Anyway, there's plenty of real meaty analogue on the market at full sizes if that's what you want ... with price tags to match.
dumbledog
KVRist

473 posts since 24 Sep, 2014

Postby dumbledog; Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:57 am Re: replicas?

Perhaps there's a lovely cloud you can yell at outside?
JCJR
KVRAF

2145 posts since 17 Apr, 2005, from S.E. TN

Postby JCJR; Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:42 am Re: replicas?

boombaxx wrote:Whats the point of making a replica of an old synth then making it so small you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to use the bloody thing. Or you have to use a controller keyboard, why not use the soft synth version that is 1/4 the price and has more features.

I too have bitched about units built so amall as to cry out for a set of micro-waldoes to tweak the controls.

I don't buy much and so far nobody made a miniature reissue I just can't live without. But am not against buying one if it comes along. A few months ago got a v3 sound "vienna grand piano 3gb" that only has two knobs (volume and reverb) otherwise controlled by program change and controllers. Truly tiny, but sounds good and fun to play. Its not a reissue as such, just a better than average mid price piano box.

Am not anti-software. Before retirement, for a couple of decades the sole income was the programming of music apps.

Gven a choice of spending money on software instruments vs hardware instruments-- I'd buy neither unless theres something I like about it. Buy soft instrument I like, it will probably have copy protect hassles I can live without, and will almost certainly quit working within a few years because microsoft or apple will cut the legs out from under it with OS "improvements" and most soft devs don't have resources to keep repeatedly ressurecting from the grave, old software killed off by ms or apple.

OTOH, well done, well cared for hardware insts last "indefinitely long". Doctor says it'll kill you but he don't say when. If it comes to spending money, to me that makes hardware look like a better bargain. Assuming I like the inst and assuming the price is right.
boombaxx
KVRist

Postby boombaxx; Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:05 pm Re: replicas?

I use a microkorg it is pretty meaty i think. It was i saw some of these little replicas in a local music store. They looked so small i was going to buy the JP-08 but its size put me off. Even though it sound really good Surely there must be a market for people that want the boutique stuff but need it to be more substantial in size
tehlord
KVRAF

7629 posts since 22 Sep, 2008, from Windsor. UK

Postby tehlord; Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:25 pm Re: replicas?

dumbledog wrote:Perhaps there's a lovely cloud you can yell at outside?

:hihi:
boombaxx
KVRist

Postby boombaxx; Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 am Re: replicas?

Here's me thinking i was poking fun at companies ridiculous products oh well :dog:
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

4613 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 am Re: replicas?

boombaxx wrote:Whats the point of making a replica of an old synth then making it so small you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to use the bloody thing. Or you have to use a controller keyboard, why not use the soft synth version that is 1/4 the price and has more features. Because the replica is built to a price that does not include such extras.

I haven't figured it out either, other than maybe it strokes some hipster vibe.
I would be a bit apprehensive using a replica on stage. Although my don't take the brown acid moment is Moog and there Minimoog for £3000. Wow instant collectors item that will never see the light of day on a stage. It seems Moog have moved into the antique business along with quite a few others. At least they stay in tune

I'm not sure I agree with that. I recently moved remote, so don't go to concerts much. But, for many years up to about a year ago, I went to at least 1 or 2 concerts a month. From large to small. Sub 32s were almost everywhere. And, the occasional Model D would be there. So, I have no reason to think that people won't drag the reissue out on the road. The workstation keyboards that most guys are driving their rigs with now cost 3x that.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
foosnark
KVRAF

3963 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:32 am Re: replicas?

Yeah, we're a little spoiled here in synth land. That well-respected but "overpriced" synth is still 1/3 the price of a decent piano.

And every once in a while I think "OMG I've spent something like $4500 on my modular," I remember my friend who had to sell her oboe for $8000 after being unemployed for a while.
starthief.netmy YouTube channelmy SoundCloudmy rack on ModularGrid

Modular is the fretless bass of synths.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

4613 posts since 4 Jul, 2001, from either Northern Idaho or Southern Canada, still trying to figure out which

Postby SJ_Digriz; Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:41 am Re: replicas?

foosnark wrote:Yeah, we're a little spoiled here in synth land. That well-respected but "overpriced" synth is still 1/3 the price of a decent piano.

And every once in a while I think "OMG I've spent something like $4500 on my modular," I remember my friend who had to sell her oboe for $8000 after being unemployed for a while.

You don't want to know how much all the different types of French Horns I had to buy for my daughter as a horn major. They ran from $7k to $14K each.
The trick is to realize there is no spoon. That's when you'll know you have been truly swindled.
lfm
KVRAF

4168 posts since 22 Jan, 2005, from Sweden

Postby lfm; Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 am Re: replicas?

boombaxx wrote:I use a microkorg it is pretty meaty i think. It was i saw some of these little replicas in a local music store. They looked so small i was going to buy the JP-08 but its size put me off. Even though it sound really good Surely there must be a market for people that want the boutique stuff but need it to be more substantial in size

If they would have done all boutique superior in the way of having more patch memory and stuff - but to actually do it on I think 16 user preset locations for JP-08 is not possible. I usually have like 50 presets and going in different directions to make new sounds based on one I saved as dividing line - just changing oscillators, ADSR or similar.

On Nordlead 2X you have 400 user locations in normal patch memory and another 400 in 100 performance locations, since they are 4 separate real copies and not references to other locations. You can explore this synth in a nice manner without storing away as sysex a couple of times each hour like all the boutique stuff but D-05.

I think they did right with D-05 having 384 factory presets and 512 user locations - makes it a really useful rom module for sounds. Nobody expect you to sit and make patches on that anyway. And being compatible with sysex out there - a really smart move. Also arpeggiator and things that were not part of D-50.

Yamaha Reface DX was extended a bit from DX7 also as I recall, if it was 32 or 64 memory locations.

I get my D-05 tomorrow and soooooooo looking forward to it.
foosnark
KVRAF

3963 posts since 9 Jan, 2003, from Saint Louis MO

Postby foosnark; Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 am Re: replicas?

SJ_Digriz wrote:You don't want to know how much all the different types of French Horns I had to buy for my daughter as a horn major. They ran from $7k to $14K each.

Anyway, I appreciate Yamaha's Reface stuff being inspired by classic gear, rather than trying to be Mini-Me clones. Some of the execution is a bit lacking and the prices they started at were a bit high given the current market, but I still feel like it was a better attempt than Roland made.

It's funny how many people compared the Reface CS to the CS-80 rather than the much closer CS-1, though.
starthief.netmy YouTube channelmy SoundCloudmy rack on ModularGrid

Modular is the fretless bass of synths.
boombaxx
KVRist

Postby boombaxx; Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm Re: replicas?

SJ_Digriz wrote:
boombaxx wrote:Whats the point of making a replica of an old synth then making it so small you need tweezers and a magnifying glass to use the bloody thing. Or you have to use a controller keyboard, why not use the soft synth version that is 1/4 the price and has more features. Because the replica is built to a price that does not include such extras.

I haven't figured it out either, other than maybe it strokes some hipster vibe.
I would be a bit apprehensive using a replica on stage. Although my don't take the brown acid moment is Moog and there Minimoog for £3000. Wow instant collectors item that will never see the light of day on a stage. It seems Moog have moved into the antique business along with quite a few others. At least they stay in tune

I'm not sure I agree with that. I recently moved remote, so don't go to concerts much. But, for many years up to about a year ago, I went to at least 1 or 2 concerts a month. From large to small. Sub 32s were almost everywhere. And, the occasional Model D would be there. So, I have no reason to think that people won't drag the reissue out on the road. The workstation keyboards that most guys are driving their rigs with now cost 3x that.

I have never even seen a moog being used by anyone up my patch Only time is Glasgow when i went to see Stereolab. The singer was using one. We only get fake versions of famous bands up here. Sometimes a big band will have a wonder up here. Not often
Last edited by boombaxx on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJ_Digriz
KVRAF

Postby SJ_Digriz; Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:22 pm Re: replicas?

it's possibly a genre thing as well. I tend to do more Rock, Blues, Jazz, Fusion etc... So the folks tend to play closer to their analog roots. Lots of miced pianos, drums and stand up basses for example. I saw Chic Corea a couple years ago, and he had 2 D's and a 37. One of the keyboard players for Joe Bonamasa had a huge collection of analog stuff including a real B3, a shit load of foogers and what I'm fairly sure was 2 Model D's, but was hard to see them from where I was. I couldn't quite tell if the 2nd was a D. Anyhow, that's just two examples that is fairly representative of the shows I go to.

EDIT: lol ... I decided to use google a bit, and it looks like Chick was using a Voyager and a D. Not 2 D's. But, the point remains. These guys will take whatever gear they want on the road without a problem. They are not collectors things. If I was touring, I would too.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)