Spire pitchbend issue

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there,

I usually play my own vibratos with the pitch wheel, when I do that with Spire it seems to me that it sounds completely different, is there some inertia or something being applied to the pitch bend, like a max limit on how fast it can move or something? If so, can I disable that inertia somehow?

Edit 1:

Hmmm... Ok so I did some further investigation on this, since my pitchbending sounds like crap in certain instances on spire but not on other synths (when the bending becomes faster/vibrato).. I was suspecting it to be doing some intelligent snapping to semitones or something, which is probably very nice for some casual edm melodies. So I connected logic pro's midi fx "modulator" to pitchbend, and increased the speed of it, and *CRASH* spire actually crashes if you move the pitch bend to quickly... I'ts reproducable.. I couldnt see anything specific going on with naked eye though, but would be very nice to get some response from the devs on this, and maybe an option to disable if there's something intelligent going on. If it's not then maybe it's something weird going on on my end.

Edit 2:
Ok, so I decided that this was more than just a hunch, so I decided to record a short snippet of midi, and run the same midi through both Hive and Spire with an init Square Wave patch just to hear the difference. The first part is Hive, then Spire plays the same phrase. It's quite obvious that spire makes the quicker vibratos sound sour and out of tune so something fishy is going on for sure.

Here's the mp3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B59D1Y ... sp=sharing

By the way, the version I'm using is the following:

Reveal Sound Spire Plug-In.
Version: 1.1.12-x64 (build 3981)

Sounds weird indeed. You're probably best of reporting this directly to the devs BTW, they don't visit these forums every day, as far as i can tell. http://reveal-sound.com/knowledge.php?49

No pro speaking here, just a light hobbyist. But since I love Spire I thought it would be good to know about this. I tried on several patches, moving the pitchbend by hand as quickly as I could, then I set up an automation clip (using FL Studio 12.5 and same Spire version as yours, fully licensed and legal) and actually went through various different frequencies, reaching high enough that it looked like a sound clip itself, but I was never able to make it crash.

Are you using a custom patch or something factory? Tried various different patches and always get a crash?

Could it be platform specific maybe? Im on MacOS Sierra. The frequency required is high, probably way above physically possible by hand, but easy to reproduce with logics modulator.

Yeah, that high frequency is what I meant by "looked like a sound clip," the frequency of pitch bend was so high +&- that it was somewhere above 200hz or so I'm guessing. I also had the range of the bend pretty high, like 12 notes +/-. So possibly either OS- or DAW-related (or the even more insidious "both").

Oh but about the other issue: It does seem like Spire has some kind of minimum rate of glide on its bends, which is what would be causing your "sour" notes on quick bends. At least I can't find a way to make it instantaneous. (Again, just a hobbyist though.)

If you figure this one out please keep us updated!

I think its gonna be up to the devs to provide an option to turn that off somewhere, until then spire is kinda broken for me.

mrj1nx wrote:The frequency required is high, probably way above physically possible by hand
I'm currently on my way home as I'm writing this, so I'll have to test it later. The Nord Lead has a very interesting pitch bender, which can produce a kind of vibrato if you pull it to its maximum and then suddenly release it. I know it doesn't help anyone :D but I find it interesting to see, if it is fast enough to cause this behaviour, as it still counts as a physical pitchbend and could actually be recorded...

Update: I have now sent some midi and project file to Reveal Sound, I'll let you know once I hear from them :)

Return to “Reveal Sound”