Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Your next guitar?

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
 
9545 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:31 am Re: Your next guitar?

My favorite RG is mahogany with a maple top. It has Dimarzio pickups, a Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. My second favorite has a more traditional basswood body but with a maple fretboard. It has a Dimarzio Norton in the bridge that makes me sound like EVH. Unfortunately, the PRS Vintage Bass in the neck and stock middle pickup are terrible in that guitar, I really need to swap them out.

Most RG’s have the basswood bodies with the rosewood fretboards and I think that is what makes them so easy to play. There’s not much high-end or low-end, you just have a really solid midrange and so single note solos sound clean and accurate. It’s too dull for me but I completely get why so many high gain virtuoso players love it.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:37 am Re: Your next guitar?

Here's what is coming:

Image

Always wanted one. Perfect opportunity to check it out. Will be the most expensive guitar I've owned, not sure if it will be as amazing as people say they are.
Xiangqi
KVRAF
 
3161 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby Xiangqi; Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm Re: Your next guitar?

tight... is that a mahogany body? i like mahogany... 'basswood' seems to be rather random. i've got some 'basswood' guitars which are very light weight, but the rest of them are very heavy. generally, mahogany seems like the sweet spot for 'tone wood'... lol...not too dense, not too light... but then it seems there is 'mahogany' and there is 'MAHOGANY'... and then probably all kinds of subdivisions within those 2 broad categories... anyway, that guitar looks great...
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Xiangqi wrote:tight... is that a mahogany body? i like mahogany... 'basswood' seems to be rather random. i've got some 'basswood' guitars which are very light weight, but the rest of them are very heavy. generally, mahogany seems like the sweet spot for 'tone wood'... lol...not too dense, not too light... but then it seems there is 'mahogany' and there is 'MAHOGANY'... and then probably all kinds of subdivisions within those 2 broad categories... anyway, that guitar looks great...


Light ash and maple composite.

A pure mahogany body isn't super desirable for many. Oh my carvin I got a maple top. Otherwise I might be too dark for some people.
User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
 
9545 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Xiangqi wrote:it seems there is 'mahogany' and there is 'MAHOGANY'... and then probably all kinds of subdivisions within those 2 broad categories...


Honduran and African are the two main subdivisions. Also, the wood can sound different depending on what part of the tree it came from. The super boutique, custom builders evaluate every piece of wood by their own merits.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
Xiangqi
KVRAF
 
3161 posts since 21 Jul, 2009

Postby Xiangqi; Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:19 am Re: Your next guitar?

that's what people are saying... you can take two guitars with 'identical wood' in their bodies, but they won't necessarily sound the same.

have you guys seen the Johan Segeborn channel on youtube? he does a lot of experiments with guitars/amps.
User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
 
9545 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 am Re: Your next guitar?

We built a David Gilmour strat using a plywood Squire body and its stock trem, which is the lightest, most worthless bridge ever. Somehow, despite these shortcomings, it has a bright, lively, loud acoustic tone and sounds great with its Dimarzio FS-1 pickup (the pickup Gilmour used on the early Pink Floyd albums). It makes no sense!
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm Re: Your next guitar?

It makes PERFECT sense. Not all big-name guitars/basses are great, not all budget guitars are shit. I've spent a fortune figuring this out.
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:49 am Re: Your next guitar?

Welp, tomorrow is the big day. Most expensive guitar ever for me :scared:

Could be a turd or the best thing ever. Nervous.

Btw, y u people no buy my stuff in the marketplace? How am I supposed to pay for this thing?????? :hihi:
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:15 pm Re: Your next guitar?

This would go nice with the new Caparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vAiZKx6tWE
Daimonicon
KVRist
 
237 posts since 30 Aug, 2012, from Sweden

Postby Daimonicon; Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:44 pm Re: Your next guitar?

incubus wrote:Here's what is coming:

Image

Always wanted one. Perfect opportunity to check it out. Will be the most expensive guitar I've owned, not sure if it will be as amazing as people say they are.

Well I own a Caparision and I have if for sale. Didn't like the neck. A little too thick for my taste. It's a good guitar no doubt about that. But I my ESP Horizon is a better guitar if you ask me.
Daimonicon
KVRist
 
237 posts since 30 Aug, 2012, from Sweden

Postby Daimonicon; Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:46 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Uncle E wrote:
Xiangqi wrote:it seems there is 'mahogany' and there is 'MAHOGANY'... and then probably all kinds of subdivisions within those 2 broad categories...


Also, the wood can sound different depending on what part of the tree it came from.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Daimonicon
KVRist
 
237 posts since 30 Aug, 2012, from Sweden

Postby Daimonicon; Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Xiangqi wrote:that's what people are saying... you can take two guitars with 'identical wood' in their bodies, but they won't necessarily sound the same.

Because no identical pickups sounds the same. Has nothing to do with wood.
incubus
KVRAF
 
5811 posts since 6 May, 2015

Postby incubus; Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm Re: Your next guitar?

Daimonicon wrote:
incubus wrote:Here's what is coming:

Image

Always wanted one. Perfect opportunity to check it out. Will be the most expensive guitar I've owned, not sure if it will be as amazing as people say they are.

Well I own a Caparision and I have if for sale. Didn't like the neck. A little too thick for my taste. It's a good guitar no doubt about that. But I my ESP Horizon is a better guitar if you ask me.


I didn't :hihi:

Have absolutely no clue if I'll like it or not. As for necks, I like Fender just fine. As for looks, it's a 10 to me. I have no hesitation about sending it back if it doesn't rub my nipples correctly though :lol:

What I'm looking for is something hardtail in a 25 1/5* with a simple 3 way switch. Something I can drop tune in a pinch but is a general workhorse, and a hipshot TP. I thought about another Schecter but I think they are too expensive for a non Germ/Pol/USA/Japan guitar and 7 string doesn't really sound "fantastic" even though it's Nazgul/Sentient.

I'm sick of what TM calls "truck stop sushi" , I want something built like my Ibanez 1520a or better.
Multicellular
KVRer
 
12 posts since 16 Oct, 2017

Postby Multicellular; Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm Re: Your next guitar?

I think I might get a Reverend. I like the Wilkinson vibratos as they go, I tend to have guitars without vibrato bars at all, so this would be for some variety.
Image
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)