Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Automatic MIDI generator?

deastman
KVRAF
 
6382 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 am Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

ere2learn wrote:Only have a horse,might try it though

Should work with some of the newer Keith Mcmillen controllers. You can run over them with a car!
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
lnikj
KVRAF
 
1545 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

Kalamata Kid wrote:My Notes on Generative, Improvisation, Composing, Chord progression
Sorry, it it a bit chaotic.
Some items may not apply

...



Great list! I know about most of them (and have some of them) but there were some new ones there.

Nodal is a personal favourite (very much doubt that there will ever be a version 2 though) and Stochas has become my default sequencer/piano roll in Bidule.

Noatikl I have but have never loved.

There are a few new ones to look at now. Thanks.


If you want something more random, though the output is actually quite controllable and can be further teased into something more traditional with a chorder or scale plugin or device, then encoderaudio.com has some incredible and powerful M4L devices (Buchla clones on steroids):

http://www.encoderaudio.com/control.html

Another new favourite is Coldcut's Midivolve: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/midivolve/

While we're in the Ableton store, Patter is very good too: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/patter/

There are several other interesting M4L devices out there.

Lastly there is always !Epoch: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=454461

Being of no musical ability whatsoever I love this stuff :help: :lol:
starflakeprj
KVRian
 
537 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Postby starflakeprj; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:59 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?



Interesting plugin, but for me it crashes after 3 scanned instruments (same everytime). And I can't contact the developer through their website because their contact form gives me an error.
User avatar
ere2learn
KVRian
 
1310 posts since 3 May, 2014

Postby ere2learn; Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:08 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

It's still in beta,I've been testing it as insert before a vst & it works fine
simmo75
KVRist
 
417 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:37 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

starflakeprj wrote:


Interesting plugin, but for me it crashes after 3 scanned instruments (same everytime). And I can't contact the developer through their website because their contact form gives me an error.


I'm having the same crashing issues in Ableton Live 9.7 on Mac OS Sierra, looks like it will be cool though.
Steve Bolivar
KVRist
 
216 posts since 24 Aug, 2006

Postby Steve Bolivar; Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

http://reglos.de/musinum/
From the website:
"MusiNum is a free sonification program which turns numbers into generative fractal music. Everybody can create unique royalty free music for his homepage within few minutes. Interesting for mathematicans and other people who like to play. Fractal concepts, self-similarity and a new kind of symmetry are audible now!
It'sFreeware! The current version is 2.08 (Beta), released at Oct-19-1999. It will run on Windows 2.x, 3.x, 9x, ME, NTx, 2000, XP and Vista, but sadly no more on Windows 7 and Windows 8 because Microsoft dropped the support for old 16Bit software."
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
 
2849 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

lnikj wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:My Notes on Generative, Improvisation, Composing, Chord progression
Sorry, it it a bit chaotic.
Some items may not apply

...



Great list! I know about most of them (and have some of them) but there were some new ones there.

Nodal is a personal favourite (very much doubt that there will ever be a version 2 though) and Stochas has become my default sequencer/piano roll in Bidule.

Noatikl I have but have never loved.

There are a few new ones to look at now. Thanks.


If you want something more random, though the output is actually quite controllable and can be further teased into something more traditional with a chorder or scale plugin or device, then encoderaudio.com has some incredible and powerful M4L devices (Buchla clones on steroids):

http://www.encoderaudio.com/control.html

Another new favourite is Coldcut's Midivolve: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/midivolve/

While we're in the Ableton store, Patter is very good too: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/patter/

There are several other interesting M4L devices out there.

Lastly there is always !Epoch: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=454461

Being of no musical ability whatsoever I love this stuff :help: :lol:


In that case I should again look at Nodal. Not sure if there is a need for Stochas.

I had concerns about Noatikl. It seems difficult to learn. I will move that to the bottom of my list to try.

I do not have Live so will ignore the M4L plugins. Wish that Max was available for other DAW's

Epoch, could not find a link.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.
lnikj
KVRAF
 
1545 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Epoch, could not find a link.


Not released yet! Promised later this year ... and the year before ... and the year before that ... :D

That said, when it does drop, it promises to be the most advanced midi environment ever invented. If a PhD is not required to use it then it has the possibility of rendering everything else redundant.

Some early screenshots:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=341953&start=930
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=341953&start=1050
Musical Gym
KVRAF
 
4890 posts since 23 May, 2004, from square1

Postby Musical Gym; Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

stochas is $29 now
amazing tool is Cradklefield by SzcZ at fairlyconfusing.net
simmo75
KVRist
 
417 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:40 am Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

Musical Gym wrote:stochas is $29 now
amazing tool is Cradklefield by SzcZ at fairlyconfusing.net


Stochas is showing as 40 gbp for me, where are you getting that price?
Musical Gym
KVRAF
 
4890 posts since 23 May, 2004, from square1

Postby Musical Gym; Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:06 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

simmo75 wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:stochas is $29 now
amazing tool is Cradklefield by SzcZ at fairlyconfusing.net


Stochas is showing as 40 gbp for me, where are you getting that price?

My apology, I was thinking of Kamelono which is being sold for $29 instead of $59. It's still under development but is showing a lot of promise. I got stochas not too long ago and really like it also. To me, it's worth at least 40 gbp.
simmo75
KVRist
 
417 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:24 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

Musical Gym wrote:
simmo75 wrote:
Musical Gym wrote:stochas is $29 now
amazing tool is Cradklefield by SzcZ at fairlyconfusing.net


Stochas is showing as 40 gbp for me, where are you getting that price?

My apology, I was thinking of Kamelono which is being sold for $29 instead of $59. It's still under development but is showing a lot of promise. I got stochas not too long ago and really like it also. To me, it's worth at least 40 gbp.


I've been looking at Stochas as well as Wavedna liquid music. I like the way liquid music works with Ableton Live.
Is There drag and drop midi in Stochas and way to completely start a random pattern without drawing?
Musical Gym
KVRAF
 
4890 posts since 23 May, 2004, from square1

Postby Musical Gym; Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:05 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

simmo75 wrote:Is There drag and drop midi in Stochas and way to completely start a random pattern without drawing?
From my experience, drag and drop midi to Stochas didn't work. I don't see any auto-generation of random patterns. Best to download user guide and demo and watch the videos. Randomization happens after you tell Stochas what parameters within which to choose values. You may or may not feel comfortable with the workflow since it's fairly unique.
simmo75
KVRist
 
417 posts since 25 Mar, 2016, from Seattle

Postby simmo75; Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:23 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

Musical Gym wrote:
simmo75 wrote:Is There drag and drop midi in Stochas and way to completely start a random pattern without drawing?
From my experience, drag and drop midi to Stochas didn't work. I don't see any auto-generation of random patterns. Best to download user guide and demo and watch the videos. Randomization happens after you tell Stochas what parameters within which to choose values. You may or may not feel comfortable with the workflow since it's fairly unique.


Thanks for your help!
Do you have any experience with WaveDna Liquid Music or sundog?
Musical Gym
KVRAF
 
4890 posts since 23 May, 2004, from square1

Postby Musical Gym; Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:33 pm Re: Automatic MIDI generator?

You're welcome.
I have both. Sundog is great and keeps getting better; Hauke, the developer, is also great. You can download demo version.
For some reason, I don't seem to use Liquid Music much, but it's a deep tool if you have the will to learn it. It's a bit of a different animal compared to other auto-composition tools, so you may or may not take to it. It has a great song structure building system and I will go back to it at some point. I think the developer used a lot of hit tunes from the past to base the templates on, so you could get an education on how to build/rebuild songs that were successful.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects