Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Workstation/ROMpler VST

echosystm
KVRist

62 posts since 24 Oct, 2006

Postby echosystm; Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:27 pm

daExpert wrote:This equals, "I've ruled out Nexus and HalionSonic because I can't download a cracked version."

No, it equals "I use a laptop now and I don't want bullshit hanging off my computer". I actually have a Syncrosoft dongle and a few Cubase boxes (SX3 through 5) in my cupboard.

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. You have been super helpful! I'm going to buy a bunch of the DSF libraries for Kontakt.

I'd like to buy Alchemy too, but the price is a bit steep, once I factor in the libraries I want. Do Camel Audio do special sales or are there any deals going around? I'm in no rush for this one, so I could wait 6 months or so if they have specials on now and then.
HaganeSteel
KVRian

626 posts since 25 Jun, 2013

Postby HaganeSteel; Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

echosystm wrote:Everyone else, thanks for the replies. You have been super helpful! I'm going to buy a bunch of the DSF libraries for Kontakt.

:lol: Awesome!

Asuyuka keeps telling me DSF should hire me as a salesperson because I sold her on those sounds too. :lol:

But I think Emu sounds sell themselves. :hihi: :P

But it isn't even that - there is a serious lack of good software romplers, especially since Roland and Korg only dipped their toes into the software market and never truly committed.

And so when Tim leaps in and starts selling the old Emu soundsets for $20 flippin' dollars ($40 for the P2k/V2k/etc. soundfonts, which is still cheap), those of us who need these sounds jump on them like rabid animals. :lol:

I'm not a fanboy. :x

Okay, I'm a little bit of a fanboy. :)
echosystm
KVRist

Postby echosystm; Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Do all of the DSF Kontakt libraries come with a fully scripted interface and appropriate browser categorisation, or are some of them just straight multi-samples?

There is so many to choose from, I'm not sure where to start. What would you guys recommend? I was thinking I might just get the Keyboards Dream Bundle. That seems to cover both workstations and synths. I'm a bit worried the ASR and Proteus packs may have higher quality sounds though. The demos don't really give me much to go on!
HaganeSteel
KVRian

Postby HaganeSteel; Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:18 pm

I can't tell you anything about the Kontakt libraries, since I use Dimension Pro (I'm ghetto :hihi:) but...

I hear good things about the ZR-76. I found a Youtube video demoing it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN0qlY5ignw

I am really not sure how well the Ensoniq holds up today, especially considering the Proteus 2000 is also a general purpose soundset and is more popular.

The EMAX and Vintage Pro will probably sound too dated for you, and might be redundant because you already own the M1? Someone correct me there if I'm wrong.

I would strongly urge you in the direction of the Proteus 2000. I would recommend picking up the Proteus 2000 soundset for general purpose sounds, as it'll probably sound a bit more modern compared to the ZR-76 (just my limited opinion here). The Proteus can do a lot of different things and is the quintessential rompler soundset (but it has no french horns!) You can get the ZR-76 on its own, if you really want it, but it may not be worth it. Buying a second and third expansion depending on what you want to do might be better?

The Virtuoso 2000 is the orchestral set.

Planet Earth contains all the world sounds.

The Xtreme Lead is the synthpop/electronica set.

Mo Phatt is the hip hop set.

Edit: Actually, the ZR-76 might fill in all the gaps of the Proteus 2000, and therefore might be worth getting? It does seem to have sounds the Proteus 2000 doesn't. But I'm not really sure about how good it is. I can't say.

Edit #2: The more I learn about/hear of the ZR-76, the more I like it and think you should get it. :hihi:

It sounds old to me, though. I'm not entirely sold on it based on that demo I sent you, which was evidently a demo song? So I can only imagine how good those sounds can be when you learn how to use them.

This thread has a lot of good information by Planeshifter, who actually owns the real thing: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330924

So in the end, I guess I would go ZR76 and/or Proteus 2000 and whatever else you need.

I only am kind of advocating the ZR76 because it seems to have stronger orchestral sounds. The Proteus 2000 has orchestral sounds in it, but not a lot of them, and it definitely can't get the orchestral mock-ups the ZR-76 apparently can.

I have edited this post like a gajillion times. :shrug:
Last edited by HaganeSteel on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
echosystm
KVRist

Postby echosystm; Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm

I just downloaded the Proteus pack demo files and it seems like you just get individual multi-samples, so the presets aren't automatically categorised. Considering that you get 3,000 odd sounds, that may be a deal breaker.

Perhaps I should just get VI.ONE for instruments and Alchemy for synths? I imagine I would largely miss out on the sampled-but-kinda-synthy sounds that I am after though.

Halion Sonic seems like the perfect fit, but is ruined by the dongle. God damnit Steinberg.
HaganeSteel
KVRian

Postby HaganeSteel; Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Yeah, that is one thing about the Proteus modules. They were just a bunch of random presets with no rhyme or reason to them. :lol:

I forgot about the Proteus pack. That would be a fantastic thing to get. I would imagine the different modules are in their own banks, so it shouldn't be too difficult to navigate?

The ones I use in Dimension Pro are all really nicely categorized. :shrug:

VI.ONE is definitely good too.
BBFG#
KVRAF

5208 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:58 pm

daExpert wrote:This equals, "I've ruled out Nexus and HalionSonic because I can't download a cracked version."

I have no interest in cracked versions of anything. I also have no interest in anything that requires software to run in the background such as a pace product or anything that requires demanding its own usb port. And I have little patience with any company that employs this philosophy of paranoia.
HaganeSteel
KVRian

Postby HaganeSteel; Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm

BBFG# wrote:

I have no interest in cracked versions of anything. I also have no interest in anything that requires software to run in the background such as a pace product or anything that requires demanding its own usb port. And I have little patience with any company that employs this philosophy of paranoia.

I agree, BBFG#, and just to add to what you said:

If he were looking to pirate software, he would've pirated the Hyper Canvas and Edirol Orchestral and we would've never heard from him again because those soundsets are bulletproof. :roll:

What? :hihi:

They are!

Same sounds used by Roland today!

Only hilariously enough, the Hyper Canvas has better sounds than my XP-30 (but it is also missing some sounds that my XP-30 has). It has an ocarina sound, which my XP-30 doesn't have, and its guitars are stellar and way above what my XP-30 can do. :shock:

Edirol Orchestral is just a software version of the SR-JV orchestral expansion board. It even has things my XP-30 doesn't have as well. :shrug:

As for the envelopes sounding like filters - even my XP-30 does that. That's an old Roland thing apparently. :shrug:
BBFG#
KVRAF

5208 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:15 pm

echosystm wrote:
Everyone else, thanks for the replies. You have been super helpful! I'm going to buy a bunch of the DSF libraries for Kontakt.

I'd like to buy Alchemy too, but the price is a bit steep, once I factor in the libraries I want. Do Camel Audio do special sales or are there any deals going around? I'm in no rush for this one, so I could wait 6 months or so if they have specials on now and then.

Alchemy like other companies do that value in quantities sales. So even when they have a super sale, if you plan on getting much, you end up seeing it as cheaper in the long run getting the whole thing.

Interesting thing for me was I thought I had reduced my Alchemy buying binge to the few I thought were the really necessary libraries and at that point saw that it really wasn't that much more to just get the whole thing. Some of the libraries I thought might be useless to me have become some of my favorite sounds.

Alchemy is the one 'go-for-it-all' purchase I've made that has never left me feeling I paid too much. If I had to take every softsynth off my computer but one, Alchemy is my must have.
CharlyLN
KVRist

99 posts since 17 Jan, 2017

Postby CharlyLN; Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 pm Re: Workstation/ROMpler VST

Any updates?

I still miss a similar Rompler like the CS1x or the Roland MC808.
planetearth
KVRian

1209 posts since 10 Jul, 2006, from Tampa

Postby planetearth; Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:34 pm Re: Workstation/ROMpler VST

This is a four-year-old thread, and some of the options that were available then (such as Alchemy or Proteus VX/Emulator X3) aren't available now. And you're probably looking for something different than the OP was, anyway.

What are you looking for in a ROMpler now? Some of the ones available now can be quite inexpensive (Xpand!2 can be had for $1, if you catch it on sale http://www.airmusictech.com/product/xpand2), so it depends upon how much you want to spend and what you want in the ROMpler.

Steve
Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife.
Examigan
KVRAF

4050 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from East Coast of the USA

Postby Examigan; Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:25 am Re: Workstation/ROMpler VST

One item that has changed since then is HALion Sonic 3 doesn't require a dongle anymore, and uses the software e-licenser instead.
atya
KVRist

87 posts since 17 Sep, 2014, from LPGC

Postby atya; Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 am Re: Workstation/ROMpler VST

planetearth wrote:What are you looking for in a ROMpler now? Some of the ones available now can be quite inexpensive (Xpand!2 can be had for $1, if you catch it on sale http://www.airmusictech.com/product/xpand2), so it depends upon how much you want to spend and what you want in the ROMpler.

Steve

Xpand! is free - yet again.
http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?products_id=2954

This is still my favorite rompler plug-in and can easily compete with and complement my ageing Motif ES in some departments, especially when it comes to pads and other synth patches.
I just bought another license for a friend in the marketplace some days ago but like some of you don't think Air are doing themselves a great favor promoting their stuff that way. Man, if I didn't already own it I'd happily pay them their $99.99 without thinking twice.
egbert101
KVRian

980 posts since 13 Jun, 2014

Postby egbert101; Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:50 am Re: Workstation/ROMpler VST

For a rompler, four years later, I'd recommend Togu Audio Line TAL-Sampler with the free Hallowsun Library. It's still being updated with new features, pretty amazing little thing.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments