Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

VCV Rack

lnikj
KVRAF

1550 posts since 23 May, 2005, from the North Cornwall coast

Postby lnikj; Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:and they don't have to be in the same DAW.

!! :hyper:
powermat
KVRian

916 posts since 20 Sep, 2013

Postby powermat; Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 am Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:Yes, I think the limit is 64 bridge modules or something ridiculous. Each corresponds to a single bridge VST/AU plugin, and they don't have to be in the same DAW.

:o

:party: :clap: :party: :clap: :party: :tu:
Taika-Kim
KVRian

622 posts since 14 May, 2002, from Finland

Postby Taika-Kim; Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 am Re: VCV Rack

Really waiting for that Phenom II support :)

Oh how fast modulations can the VST bridge support? Is it two-way? I'm thinking of Bitwig and it's amazing modulation system here...
vortico
KVRist

67 posts since 19 Jul, 2008

Postby vortico; Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 am Re: VCV Rack

Taika-Kim wrote:Really waiting for that Phenom II support :)

Oh how fast modulations can the VST bridge support? Is it two-way? I'm thinking of Bitwig and it's amazing modulation system here...

Will be fixed with Rack v0.4.0 released later today!

The VCV Bridge supports two-way audio which can be used as modulation within VCV Rack, but VST/AU automation is one-way (DAW -> Rack). As for the speed, I haven't bothered to check how high it can go when pushing automation to audio-rate frequencies, but perhaps 500Hz as a guess based on buffer sizes? I don't even know how you'd create modulation that fast with Ableton, Logic, or Cubase, but maybe Bitwig is designed for that kind of thing.
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF

4713 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:25 am Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:

The VCV Bridge supports two-way audio which can be used as modulation within VCV Rack, but VST/AU automation is one-way (DAW -> Rack). As for the speed, I haven't bothered to check how high it can go when pushing automation to audio-rate frequencies, but perhaps 500Hz as a guess based on buffer sizes? I don't even know how you'd create modulation that fast with Ableton, Logic, or Cubase, but maybe Bitwig is designed for that kind of thing.

Yes, Bitwig has audio rate modulation for factory devices, modulators and CV input/output.

Cheers,

Tom
lnikj
KVRAF

Postby lnikj; Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am Re: VCV Rack

Just a quick tip to anybody trying to get the VCV Rack to play along with their other toys (on a Mac) in advance of the bridge coming out.

I updated my computers to Sierra recently and earlier I managed to convince myself that Soundflower was no longer working. I reinstalled (you have to fiddle with Gatekeeper settings to get a kernel extension in now) and everything looked fine but no sound.

I'd just about given up when I noted in AudioMidi that the volume settings were right down on the Soundflower inputs. Moved them up to 1 (fully right) and that fixed things :dog:

Obviously you can route midi easily over the IAC bus(es), so I have Numerology driving Rack, and also from IOS, where the new and outstanding Quantum is doing the business.
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:27 pm Re: VCV Rack

Rack v0.4.0 released!

Image Image

- Cables can now stack on output ports
- Added sub-menus for each plugin, includes optional plugin metadata like URLs
- Added MIDI CC-to-CV Interface, updated MIDI-to-CV Interface
- Added new scrolling methods: middle-click-and-drag, shift-scroll, and arrow keys
- Added engine pausing in sample rate menu
- Added resizable blank to Core
- Added LEDs on plugs
- Support for AMD Phenom II processors
- Use self-contained Mac app bundle, no need for a Rack folder

- Fundamental
- - Added Lissajous mode to Scope
- - Added two LFOs and VCO-2

- Befaco
- - Added Rampage

- Audible Instruments
- - Added Keyframer/Mixer
- - Added nonlinear string and chord mode to Modal Synthesizer
lnikj
KVRAF

Postby lnikj; Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 pm Re: VCV Rack

Great !!! Many thanks. Rampage is a great addition.

Quick question: Now the mac app is not in a folder, where do I put the 3rd party plugins?

Edit: Figured it out, you've moved the plugins to ~/Documents/Rack
lnikj
KVRAF

Postby lnikj; Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:46 pm Re: VCV Rack

Hi Andrew. You participated in the discussion the other day about the difficulty in distributing a modular synth over muliple cores but I wondered (as a clueless non-programmer) if there was any mileage in distributing the graphical load of VCVrack across multiple cores.

My MacBook Pro has a discrete GPU which I have forced to be always on in System Preferences but one core of the CPU is maxed out just by adding a dozen or so modules to the rack (unconnected).

I presume this is rendering maths being offloaded to the CPU. Could this overload not be spread across the cores?

I know this is not a priority; it is just a thought.

Back on 0.4, the stackable cables are a game changer which makes it so much easier, more efficient and fun to patch.

Thanks again for a great release!
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6609 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 am Re: VCV Rack

ThomasHelzle wrote:
vortico wrote:

Yes, Bitwig has audio rate modulation for factory devices, modulators and CV input/output.

Cheers,

Tom

And there are quite a few modules for Ableton M4L made to send/receive CV

When can we expect the Bridge?
The future is yesterday
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 am Re: VCV Rack

lnikj wrote:Hi Andrew. You participated in the discussion the other day about the difficulty in distributing a modular synth over muliple cores but I wondered (as a clueless non-programmer) if there was any mileage in distributing the graphical load of VCVrack across multiple cores.

There's an easier fix: Cache all graphical elements in framebuffers. It requires about twice as much video RAM (~200-300MB instead of 100-200MB) but avoids redrawing a lot of the elements on every frame. It'll take a few months for that to be worked on though.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:When can we expect the Bridge?

Still on target for VCV Bridge to be included in Rack v1.0 around late November / early December.
prohozhii
KVRer

4 posts since 24 Aug, 2015

Postby prohozhii; Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:11 am Re: VCV Rack

Hello everybody!
I have a problem. Since the last before the version, the interface has ceased to be displayed. Just a white box without guides. All tools that have an interface with the .SVG extension are not displayed. This happens on WIN7 and WIN10. Tell me, what is missing in the system, that everything would work correctly? Thank you!
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 am Re: VCV Rack

prohozhii wrote:Hello everybody!
I have a problem. Since the last before the version, the interface has ceased to be displayed. Just a white box without guides. All tools that have an interface with the .SVG extension are not displayed. This happens on WIN7 and WIN10. Tell me, what is missing in the system, that everything would work correctly? Thank you!

About ~8 people have reported similar issues with Windows, but I haven't yet reproduced it myself so I don't know what's causing it yet.
prohozhii
KVRer

4 posts since 24 Aug, 2015

Postby prohozhii; Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:18 am Re: VCV Rack

vortico wrote:About ~8 people have reported similar issues with Windows, but I haven't yet reproduced it myself so I don't know what's causing it yet.

It seems to me that the system lacks a library. On the first versions it was all good.
vortico
KVRist

Postby vortico; Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:37 am Re: VCV Rack

What makes you think that? Did an error message suggest something like that?
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis