recommended editor for creating loop points?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Audition Sound Forge Pro 18 WaveLab Pro WaveRobot Wavosaur

emcee wrote:again, could be overkill but I've been using Sound Forge for over 10 years. Was Sony, now Magix.
Cool function back in the day that allowed Sample Dump Standard so could edit in Sound Forge and bump straight to the hardware sampler via midi.

http://www.magix.com/au/sound-forge/
I don't currently own Sound Forge, as it is hard to justify when I already get Audition as part of my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. But back when I did use SF, I really loved it. I still do. It isn't the prettiest GUI in the world, but the workflow just really clicked with me way better than Audition ever has, or Audacity for that matter.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Audacity? Ocenaudio?

Problem with zero-crossing snap in most of editors is that they take a fixed threshold, like -70. I'm looking for something that would let me to specify a narrower threshold for zero-crossing detection, or order found zero crossing points by how close they are to actual zero crossing. I see Sound Forge has "Zero-cross level threshold", I need to check it out. I couldn't find anything like it in Wavelab.

Do Audacity or Oceanaudio offer adjustable threshold for zero-crossing detection? Or anything like waveform scanning similar to Wavelab tune or Endless wav?

Another option is WaveRobot 5 for €69. But it seems there's no trial and no special zero-crossing threshold functionality. Here's a tutorial: https://youtu.be/cWUld4FymF8

Soundforge

Etienne1973 wrote:Another option is WaveRobot 5 for €69. But it seems there's no trial and no special zero-crossing threshold functionality.
I demoed it last year or the year before... It's rather automated process with hit and miss results, I didn't like it back then. You can purchase the demo version from their store for 0$... :dog:

So far Wavelab loop tweak does a good job finding suitable end points for a defined start, which I'm looking for manually in Waveosaur. I'd love a 'move cursor to next zero crossing' shortcut in either, but apparently there is no such. I'll demo Soundforge, though it seems a pricey solution just to look for start loop points, unless it has a better or equal waveform matching as Wavelab. Thanks everyone.

Demoed Soundforge, which required me to give up data, sign-up to stuff and register. There's is no 'loop tuner' in 'SOUND FORGE Audio Studio', zero crossing threshold setting ain't there as well. Loop tuner is supposed to be in the Pro version, 400 euro, thank you.

And there is TX16Wx sampler. The waveform editor doesn't have "Waveform search - finding closest match for waveform fragment within the whole waveform", but it has buttons back or forth for next zero crossing, adjustable crossfading and loop overlay where you can see the opposing loop point overlaying the normal sample data. You can download the manual on the site without downloading the software. The free version's wave editor section is fully functional.

Can it save loop point in wav file?

Yep

Examined TX16Wx, Adobe Audition/Cool Edit 2000, Acon Acoustica... Still the best way to find a close to zero crossings is to click through the wave at maximum zoom in Waveosaur, trying to catch a dot by eye, which is quite idiotic. Wavosaur is actually better for this as Wavelab has antialiased graphics making the dots harder to spot.
TX16W does select next zero crossing but zoom is tiny and it show no values, so no use to evaluate a crossing. The closest shot was Audition, it has a keyboard shortcut, which sets the loop start at next 'zero' crossing, it would be handy, but as you move the loop start further, the preview window does not follow, so in few clicks it just moves out of view scope... :dog: I compared it to Cool Edit demo from an old CM CD and it is the same exact feature. Overall, it's amazing how little it has changed since 2001.
Last edited by Zombie Queen on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting. I'm just trying to evaluate TX16Wx for this sort of thing myself. When you say 'zoom is tiny' do you mean it doesn't get down to sample level dots?
And 'it show no values'...those values in between the previous and next crossing arrows are sample values yes?

I meant vertical zoom. There's no scale and it doesn't zoom far. For playing back normalized sample it may be fine, but I'm looking for something that would let me find points closest to zero. Most editors have scale and display levels using dots on high zoom, so you can evaluate actual sample value. Audition and Wavelab also display the value on status bar when you roll the mouse over specific point. Thou it would much be more useful for me, if they displayed the value at cursor, not the mouse.
Here's how the zoomed bit looks like in Wavosaur.
saur.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ok, I see what you mean.
A thing I've just been noticing in TX16Wx is that if your sample waveform is asymmetric it's pretty well impossible to get a good loop just using zero points...that's where the overlay thing comes to the rescue. If you find a good overlay then crossfade, it doesn't seem to matter that the zero points don't line up exactly!
BTW, to hear a crossfade you have to click the 'execute crossfade' button after setting it. If it doesn't sound as you wish just click on the main undo button.

Wavosaur. It's free and it creates loop points.
But if you want to make the best loops ever just try the TX16Wx software sampler. Its editor is awesome.
Lots of loops per sample, wave overlaping to help matching loop points, zero crossing via arrow buttons, etc.
Best regards,
There are 10 types of people: those who do understand binary and those who do not.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”