Midi clip recording help

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!! If anyone would be so kind?

Would need some explanations please on 3 issues below:

1- Midi recording between markers : Is it possible to force quantize the first note of a manual pass on record in between markers? Almost everytime it's a bit early i need to manually realign with mouse after the fact otherwise it will be ghosted on playback..

2- Stretching a clip : Is it possible to stretch a midi clip without the automatic looping feature? It's driving me nuts..

3- Markers inside a midi clip : Sometimes the project markers are not the same as the ones inside a clip I am confused. Any tips please? I move the project markets but the ones inside the clip do or do not depending.. I can't get my head around this..

Thanks in advance!

These may well be covered in the tutorial videos... But anyway :)

Can't answer point 1, I'm afraid.

2 - Yes, you can turn it off.
- Start MuLab using the factory New template (that gives you a track targeting a rack with an instrument to be triggered by events)
- Set the composer loop points to the start of the project and to the start of bar 17
- Draw in a four bar part from the start of the project to the start of bar 5: it will be created as a sequence part and create a new sequence
- Double-click to open the sequence editor for the part and add a note at the start of bar 1 and the start of bar 4, just to keep track of things
- Whilst we're here - right-click (always your friend) on the time line at the top of the editor -- you'll see there three options (Set Part Start, Set Loop Start, Set Loop End) but ignore them
- Notice whilst looking at the time line that there's a loop end marker. You can right-click that, too, to edit it or remove it.
- OK, exit the editor back to the composer
- Stretch the part so it now ends at the start of bar nine. Because of that loop marker we saw above, the sequence was looped. Entering the editor by double-clicking between bars 5 and 9 shows a four bar loop.
- If you now remove the loop end marker and then click the [o] resizer at the lower right corner of the editor, you'll see you now have an eight bar sequence rather than a looped four bar one.

I'm not sure if there's a preference for this when drawing in (or otherwise creating) the part in the first place. I think there may be.

3 - I guess by "project marker" you mean "Composer Loop Points" mentioned up above? The ones you can edit by right-click on the project time line? These are where play back of the project will loop and have no relationship with the content of a part (whether audio or sequence) - they just control the "play head". Let's say you move the project loop start to the start of bar four (yep, not five) now. Your track will play the two notes we added above then play on through bar sixteen rather more quietly. Once it gets to the loop end, assuming looped play is on, the play head returns to the start of bar four and plays that last note again.

Hey thanks so much! I am still working through your example although I think I figured out the loop points inside a clip can be right-clicked and managed.

I think this might be just what I need.

More to come and thanks again for the detailed explanations much appreciated!

yul wrote:1- Midi recording between markers : Is it possible to force quantize the first note of a manual pass on record in between markers? Almost everytime it's a bit early i need to manually realign with mouse after the fact otherwise it will be ghosted on playback..
You can set a quantizing grid for MIDI recordings via right-click on the record button or via Project menu -> Edit Recording Setup.
Is it possible to stretch a midi clip without the automatic looping feature?
Cfr pljones: You can delete the loop marker in the sequence.
Also see the preference "Auto Loop New Sequences".

Return to “MUTOOLS”