Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
yellowmix
KVRist
 
224 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:Modular environment such as in Bidule https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/ where can load plugins and connect them with a virtual cable. Perhaps am using the wrong terminology?

See image of Waveform modular environment:
viewtopic.php?p=6755026

If Reaper has something similar send link. If not I wish they get that and ARA soon!


The virtual cables are invisible but you can certainly do the same type of routing, save, and load it. Is your definition based on appearances or what it actually accomplishes? If the latter, then it's been possible for a very long time. I don't know what kind of link to send you. Tell me what processing it's supposed to accomplish and I can send you a track template.

I do use Waveform but as I have been using Reaper longer accomplish the same results much faster. I think with the same amount of experience it would be a wash, time-wise.
pottering
KVRist
 
471 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Postby pottering; Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:16 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

You can build a "peak filter" easily in Live, just Rack an Auto Filter set to Bandpass on a chain (that will add the "peak"), then create a parallel empty chain to pass the original unaltered audio, then you have the same mixed end result of an Peak filter boosting a frequency.

Then you can add a Limiter after that, for taming peaks and safety (since it seems NI's uses a limiter to compress the peaks), and maybe Rack it all in another Rack, for easy saving as a preset.

(NI's has a Dry/Wet, several ways of adding that to a Rack, easiest is just turning the "Peak" Chain's volume up and down.)
User avatar
antic604
KVRist
 
451 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:00 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:When did Bitwiig add the Modular environment that can host VST fx and VSTi?
Let me know and I will gladly revise my list. SI has Multi-Instruments as of v3.


Obviously you can use VST instruments & FX in Bitwig and modulate any of their parameters or output with its universal modulation system!

What Studio One 3.5 has in Multi Instruments is just the basic ability to play several instruments using the same MIDI notes, which is trivial and e.g. Live had this for decades as Instrument Racks. In Bitwig - which can obviously do that via Instrument & FX Layers as well - you can actually route your MIDI data and audio signals freely around the project, filter and alter them, have them modulating something else, etc.

Just take a look at this video, where the guy has one clip playing several instruments and generating notes out of chord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKBr2gT3nE

Or this one, where he actually created a synth out of nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GL-4YTz1xg

Or here, where he created a device that produces chords:

https://youtu.be/ndb339l81pU



I really think you a) have no idea about what other DAWs have, b) have your terminology completely mixed up: if you're looking for an example of modular thinking in Studio One, the Extended FX Chains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbotUJlsdvI

would be a much better fit, although still really limited by comparison to Bitwig.
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
xbitz
KVRAF
 
1784 posts since 3 Oct, 2013, from Budapest

Postby xbitz; Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

yepp MIDI triggering is definitely quite fun in BWS :D >> headphone pls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBl_d2mvsk
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
 
2865 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

yellowmix wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:Modular environment such as in Bidule https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/ where can load plugins and connect them with a virtual cable. Perhaps am using the wrong terminology?

See image of Waveform modular environment:
viewtopic.php?p=6755026

If Reaper has something similar send link. If not I wish they get that and ARA soon!


The virtual cables are invisible but you can certainly do the same type of routing, save, and load it. Is your definition based on appearances or what it actually accomplishes? If the latter, then it's been possible for a very long time. I don't know what kind of link to send you. Tell me what processing it's supposed to accomplish and I can send you a track template.

I do use Waveform but as I have been using Reaper longer accomplish the same results much faster. I think with the same amount of experience it would be a wash, time-wise.


I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.
User avatar
antic604
KVRist
 
451 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:46 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.


That's hilarious. You can't decide that something isn't "modular" because it doesn't have visible cables... Do those cables need to swing when you scroll the screen as well? Because that'd further limit your list of "true modular" DAWs... :D
Kalamata Kid
KVRAF
 
2865 posts since 26 Jul, 2001, from Tarpon Springs, Florida, USA

Postby Kalamata Kid; Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

antic604 wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.


That's hilarious. You can't decide that something isn't "modular" because it doesn't have visible cables... Do those cables need to swing when you scroll the screen as well? Because that'd further limit your list of "true modular" DAWs... :D


First, thanks you for the earlier lengthy post.

Please take this as a friendly criticism. Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position. Usually when I use the term modular environment I usually add "as in Bidule" to give clarity to the term and distinguish it for the others. This time I omitted Bidule but from my list on might understand what I meant by modular environment. Granted I could have have written modular environment with visible cables connecting the modules as in Bidule, Metaplugin and Mux.
23" 10-touch Monitor and iPad Air as Midi Controllers, iConnectMIDI2+, Windows 10-64bit, Xeon W36900, 12 GB RAM.
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:
antic604 wrote:Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position.


Answer: This is a forum (specifically KVR) where 2 + 2 = imilionty (or whatever anyone wants)

Anyways, I think visuals are rad. If I don't have them, that's fine too. All I care is that is works :)
yellowmix
KVRist
 
224 posts since 10 Aug, 2012

Postby yellowmix; Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.


Okay, if workflow is the metric you're going by then many DAWs would qualify as "modular". Honestly, it's an overly broad term and you're probably better served by deconstructing it to specific abilities with regards to routing audio and/or MIDI data with multiple ins/outs and what kind of control the user has over modulating them, if there is feedback routing, candy GUI, etc..
User avatar
antic604
KVRist
 
451 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:51 am Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Kalamata Kid wrote:First, thanks you for the earlier lengthy post.

Please take this as a friendly criticism. Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position. Usually when I use the term modular environment I usually add "as in Bidule" to give clarity to the term and distinguish it for the others. This time I omitted Bidule but from my list on might understand what I meant by modular environment. Granted I could have have written modular environment with visible cables connecting the modules as in Bidule, Metaplugin and Mux.


Yeah, sorry for that :) I don't think there's specific term for "modular with cables" so let's just end there. What actually triggered my response was the fact, that you've listed a lot of DAWs and authoritatively grouped them by a feature you labelled wrong. Whereas what the OP was asking for was this:

apondinthestream wrote:What does your DAW not have that you wished it did have - particularly things that are common in other DAWs?


I totally get his point! When I was purchasing Live 9 in Jan '17 I was convinced it has alias / ghost clips, since it's the go-to DAW for 'repetitive', loop-based electronic music. I've not even checked this, because it was - for me - obvious it has this feature. Imagine my shock when I learned that it doesn't, whereas all the traditional, tape-recording inspired DAWs like Cubase, Logic or Studio One have this!

So, the OP was asking exactly this - which feature, that you'd think is obvious to have in a DAW in 2017, your DAW doesn't have. Full modular environment (with cables or not) is not such a thing, because it's unique to selected few DAWs and it's among the top things always mentioned and underlined in promotional materials, reviews, etc. Almost every DAW on the market has its own 'specialty': Cubase has global chord track and unparalleled MIDI editing, Reason has the rack and cables, Live has Session View and Push, Bitwig has universal modulation system, FL Studio has patterns and ...lifetime free updates, Reaper is flexible and malleable, Pro Tools is the professional studio standard, etc. I don't think OP was asking for those things, because they're hard to miss when one is looking for new DAW - they're their selling point, the "marquee feature" so to speak.

So let's focus on this, instead of trying to list and compare several DAWs we might not know very well with respect to the features we don't know much about either.
xbitz
KVRAF
 
1784 posts since 3 Oct, 2013, from Budapest

Postby xbitz; Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:08 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

just mention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6p5ODYbsY

"Live has Session View and Push" and M4L :roll:
--
"FL Studio has patterns and" the constant developer presence on their forum is a lovely thing, makes really good to the atmosphere if a user can get help directly from the "developers" in no time
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat
tooneba
KVRian
 
910 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Postby tooneba; Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Cubase devs haven't participate their forum yet?
kokotte
KVRian
 
584 posts since 17 Sep, 2014

Postby kokotte; Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Chase midi notes in live and bws.
Reaper,Cubase, studio one, fl....have this important feature.
sample accurate automation is missing in a lot off daw too( with daw native plugin) reaper have it, live too i think.
User avatar
Guenon
KVRian
 
998 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:08 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Okay I've got a weird one.

Studio One: no classic repitch for audio items.

That is, drop in an audio clip on the timeline, you can't repitch it in the most traditional sampler/"tape" manner, where the audio data is merely played back at a different speed, resampled to the output rate (pitch down + slower, pitch up + faster). You can only repitch through a more destructive stretching and pitching algo.
tooneba
KVRian
 
910 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Postby tooneba; Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:30 pm Re: what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

kokotte wrote:Chase midi notes in live and bws.
Reaper,Cubase, studio one, fl....have this important feature.
sample accurate automation is missing in a lot off daw too( with daw native plugin) reaper have it, live too i think.

+1
It is so annoying. As far as I know FL can do it at the version released in 2011...
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)