Roli Lightpad M and Noise 3.0

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some significant updates from Roli:

https://roli.com/products/software/noise

https://roli.com/products/blocks/lightpad-m

Updated version of the Noise app with some improved UI things (and two new sound packs powered by SWAM) and looks like works as an AUv3 now.

And the Lightpad M seems to be a significant improvement over the original Lightpad with a more responsive surface and brighter lights.

Being able to use Noise sound packs as AU in GarageBand etc is great, though drums don't appear to work.
Instant human just add coffee

Just how editable and user customisable is Noise ? ... or are you basically stuck with Soundpacks ?

Some of them have been updated to allow you to tweak them but essentially you are limited to the samples

That said there are some excellent sampled instruments

It's also worth noting that not all of them work as AU, notably I'm told the SWAM ones don't but there seems to be no way to distinguish between them.
Instant human just add coffee

Anybody jumped on this? If so, I'm particularly curious how good both the hardware and software is to use it as e.g. a keyswitch-oriented controller. That is, set the MIDI note range of the lightpad M to probably start at C0, have another controller (Rise, whatever) for actual playing, and use the block to trigger keyswitches.

I know that using it for just keyswitches doesn't take advantage of its expressiveness, and I'd intend to use it more expressively as well, but I very much like gear that can serve multiple purposes in the name of efficiency/space/etc. So I'm hoping that it can be fairly easily set to do something like the above (and preferably from MacOS, not just iOS).

I haven't read anyone mentioning that he already got the Lightpad Block M. Seems they haven't yet shipped the first units.
That said, I own the 1st generation Lightpad. Using it as a key switch controller, hmmm. Would be hard to do without looking at it, you can't feel the keys as on a normal keyboard. If that is not an issue for you, then it would be possible. By standard it is running in MPE mode, but that can be changed with the Roli dashboard software which comes with it. This is the controller software for the Blocks and it runs on Mac or PC, there is no version for iOS, at least as of today.
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

Question for those of you using Noise: are you required to connect the Lightpad via MIDI bluetooth? Is there any way to hardwire it? I don't see that option.

Never thought of connecting it to Noise other than BT, but as it works via cable on a Mac, I suspect it should work also via cable on IOS. Its class compliant...
Though Noise itself could be crippled, (never really caught me). I can't play the Noise sounds with my LinnStrument. I should have kept the old version...

Tj Shredder wrote:Never thought of connecting it to Noise other than BT, but as it works via cable on a Mac, I suspect it should work also via cable on IOS. Its class compliant...
Noise app is iOS only. There is no OSX version.

But the Block works on a Mac...

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”