Adding chords in Live 9 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

DJ Warmonger wrote:To sum things up, drop-down chord menu is a feature exclusive to Fruity Loops and Ableton doesn't have it. It has many different features, though.
Exactly, including ones that can be used to replicate the needed functionality.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

created a quick, not so long, video with RapidComposer (which is a phrase/pattern based editor for quick music prototyping, can find its forum here in kvraudio) it has far the nicest method (especially with the latest version which supports borrowed chords finally) to add chords/and chord progression to any DAW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwk4SmzMRp4

LE version is more than enough if u no need the fancy features just a quick progression builder,

method is creating some phrases(ideally with some open chord structure) and previewing chords on them, easy as 1-2-3 (ofc. it needs some music theory background not enough just dropping random chords after each other :D )
Last edited by xbitz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

antic604 wrote:
tooneba wrote:
antic604 wrote:
tooneba wrote:Ableton have been appealing to laptop users for having famous single-window approach. Then encouraging users to get hardware to achieve things other software is doing w/o it. That's some nice business strategy going on there.
How is that relevant to the topic at hand?

You obviously can enter chords using the laptop keyboard, also by pressing all keys at once. And you can buy several good MIDI keyboards for the price of Push 1/2, so I'm not sure how Ableton would encourage anyone to buy them if there weren't extra features there, like full Live integration with clip launching, recording & looping, mixer & device control, sequencer and - yes - clever note input. Are you jealous that someone who doesn't play piano is finally able to play correct chords and melodies? Or that people can do music on laptops and it doesn't require huge and expensive studios?
Unlike you I'm not interested in deciding which DAW is superior, so I have no motivation to be jealous of Daw X because of not having it. And also I'm riding the bandwagon who wants this tool to be in Live, additionally I'm having both softwares. Only the reality that I'm having this exact software motivate me to comment. So I have no clue where you came up with that.
What? You started it, by somehow connecting lack of explicit chord support in Live to their alleged, ridiculous plot to prioritize laptop users and push - pun intended - their own controller upon them to compensate for the "omission". And for you information, I own Live 9 Suite, Studio One 3.5 and Bitwig 2 and actually Live is the least favourite of mine, so I have no clue where you got that "deciding which DAW is superior" bit... I was just pointing out how ridiculous your first post was, but your new one beat it.
Because your accusations were all false, lacking the context and sound odd to me. So I replied with far fetched assumption like you did. All people (maybe except you) came here for being interested in Chord helper in pianoroll in Live, and they are answering, posting comments about it or craving for better solution in future version.

You found a person in the internet forum being jealous of playing chord with one button?.... Cool story bro.

tooneba wrote:Because your accusations were all false, lacking the context and sound odd to me. So I replied with far fetched assumption like you did. All people (maybe except you) came here for being interested in Chord helper in pianoroll in Live, and they are answering, posting comments about it or craving for better solution in future version.

You found a person in the internet forum being jealous of playing chord with one button?.... Cool story bro.
Don't be absurd - just take a look at 2nd reply to OP, where I exactly told him what tools he have in Ableton to achieve the desired functionality. Your post was actually the first to be completely off-topic, ranting about how Ableton crippled their DAW so they could sell dedicated controller. Which might be true, but it's not what OP was asking for.

Over and out.
Music tech enthusiast

you can use some max4live to generate chords

Not sure if mentionnend already but you can also step record notes/chords in piano roll.

Enable the headphone icon in Piano roll, click where you want a note to start, press and maintain one or more notes on your keyboard (velocity is recorded) then use right arrow key. You can use note + left arrow key to erase existing notes, or adjust their length

antic604 wrote:
tooneba wrote:Because your accusations were all false, lacking the context and sound odd to me. So I replied with far fetched assumption like you did. All people (maybe except you) came here for being interested in Chord helper in pianoroll in Live, and they are answering, posting comments about it or craving for better solution in future version.

Don't be absurd - just take a look at 2nd reply to OP, where I exactly told him what tools he have in Ableton to achieve the desired functionality. Your post was actually the first to be completely off-topic, ranting about how Ableton crippled their DAW so they could sell dedicated controller. Which might be true, but it's not what OP was asking for.

Over and out.
That's not exactly what OP is asking, and you knew or intentionally ignored it to justify your claiming that your answer stalled the momentum of thread going to crave for exact same solution OP wanted.
OP wrote:adding chords in the piano roll is pretty easy
Every users in this forum are entitled to say any opinion as long as it is related to the topic. Push is clearly related to the DAW we are talking about and it was already mentioned in the context. I have no interest in arguing whether his/her opinion is right or wrong. All I said was your assumption was totally opposite to the reality and clearly false-accusation.

tooneba wrote:That's not exactly what OP is asking, and you knew or intentionally ignored it to justify your claiming that your answer stalled the momentum of thread going to crave for exact same solution OP wanted.
No? He specifically asked how he can easily input chords in Live, so that they're visible in piano roll. I'm not familiar with FL, but - from his description - it sounds like you just push a button and you get a chord inserted there. My first reply was a suggestion of how he can do it, using Chords & Scales devices and recording of MIDI data to other track.
tooneba wrote:Every users in this forum are entitled to say any opinion as long as it is related to the topic. Push is clearly related to the DAW we are talking about and it was already mentioned in the context. I have no interest in arguing whether his/her opinion is right or wrong. All I said was your assumption was totally opposite to the reality and clearly false-accusation.
Oh, I fully agree that Push is relevant to the discussion and it was actually brought up - as a solution to OP's problem - by other poster. But then you chimed in with your 'theory' how Ableton stripped down Live to fit on one screen and to subsequently sell Push to compensate for the missing features. How is that helping the OP? What part of his question were you addressing with this comment?!

I rest my case, got better things to do.
Music tech enthusiast

Thinking Ableton is "crippling" live for Push sales is just silly, the HW was designed with some functionality in mind to make composing with it faster.

As pointed before Live can do this chord stuff in various ways, not just directly in the piano roll. The most efficient way for me is using some M4L device, there are a few. (but I find even more easy to learn theory to make more sense of it).
dedication to flying

i bought this for such a purpose

http://fabriziopoce.com/progressive.html
it's very good if i am lacking inspiration.
you can also make life easier if you learn to play some chords on keyboard.
it's probably not a good idea to depend on some software doing the work for you.
just my opinion..

antic604 wrote:
tooneba wrote:That's not exactly what OP is asking, and you knew or intentionally ignored it to justify your claiming that your answer stalled the momentum of thread going to crave for exact same solution OP wanted.
No? He specifically asked how he can easily input chords in Live, so that they're visible in piano roll. I'm not familiar with FL, but - from his description - it sounds like you just push a button and you get a chord inserted there. My first reply was a suggestion of how he can do it, using Chords & Scales devices and recording of MIDI data to other track.
This is where your motivation comes, to try to settle the discussion, judge other people's comment totally "off-topic" and speculate someone is jealous of something. You didn't clearly know what OP is talking about.
antic604 wrote:
tooneba wrote:Every users in this forum are entitled to say any opinion as long as it is related to the topic. Push is clearly related to the DAW we are talking about and it was already mentioned in the context. I have no interest in arguing whether his/her opinion is right or wrong. All I said was your assumption was totally opposite to the reality and clearly false-accusation.
Oh, I fully agree that Push is relevant to the discussion and it was actually brought up - as a solution to OP's problem - by other poster. But then you chimed in with your 'theory' how Ableton stripped down Live to fit on one screen and to subsequently sell Push to compensate for the missing features. How is that helping the OP? What part of his question were you addressing with this comment?!

I rest my case, got better things to do.
Everyone knows there are some helpful work-around posted by users, and even though they aren't exactly what he asked people who visited KVR may appreciate. No one were personally attacking each other. It is just there was an opinion posted by whom wants same function in Live too. Stop being triggered by anything snowflake.

Assuming the FL chord menu always places the chord in root position and doesn't contain some advanced voice leading magic, the inserted chord contains the same shape and same order of intervals anyway, no matter what the root note is.

In other words, when working in Live, once you have placed one such chord in the MIDI editor and are editing the MIDI clip further, one natural editing routine for placing another similar chord in this manner is to select the previous chord of that shape, hold Ctrl/Cmd and drag a copy of it in the desired place :). Say you have a F major chord and you want a C major chord down the line, then just select the F major and drag it where you want, on the C note. In practice this is pretty much just as fast as opening a dropdown menu and selecting the chord there. If you don't know how to form chords in the first place, to place the first one of its kind, I suggest learning that in any case :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”