Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

zentatonic
KVRist

131 posts since 16 Mar, 2004

Postby zentatonic; Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 pm Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

For a Soul to Squeeze or Under the Bridge style clean strat in the mix, obviously this is only occasionally doubled in the mix...would you record that single guitar in mono or stereo?

Any ideas or links to anything related?
an-electric-heart
KVRian

1426 posts since 13 Jun, 2008, from Napier,New Zealand

Postby an-electric-heart; Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

I've heard the stems of the Californication album, it's mostly just one guitar dead it middle, the mix is nearly mono. They seem to use quite a fat (deliberately) distorted drum sound to fill the mix out.
zentatonic
KVRist

Postby zentatonic; Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

Nice thanks!! I found an interview with Jim Scott where he mentions tons of mono elements in Californication.

I wouldn't ever try a mono guitar right up the middle with a vocal. Not sure wtf not though lol.

This doc is pretty amazing. Nothing that answers my question, but there is a lot of studio footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0tTJ4SakE0&t=8s
BertKoor
KVRAF

10061 posts since 8 Mar, 2005, from Utrecht, Holland

Postby BertKoor; Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 pm Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

zentatonic wrote:I wouldn't ever try a mono guitar right up the middle with a vocal. Not sure wtf not though
Why not indeed, since the guitar is a prominent element in thid style and deserves the centre stage. I'd advice to have another critical listen and set it to mono now and then.

Also imho stereo is hugely overrated.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!
zentatonic
KVRist

Postby zentatonic; Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:44 am Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers guitars in mix

Hmmm...thanks Bert.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques