Collective Public Beta 1.1.2 Available

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, Collective v1.1.2 is now available for beta.
Please let us know if this helps the silence issues a few of you have been reporting.
https://marketplace.tracktion.com/shop/ ... collective
V1.1.2
- Listens to all MIDI channels now
- Added some more log file output
- Fixed possible memory corruption

super job, Collective v1.1.2 crashes now all DAWs inclusive Waveform 8.2.5 ...

Waveform: All instances but one are entirely silent. One instance plays an undefined wobble sound.
Renoise: Sounds good at first but collective freezes after a few patch changes.
REAPER: Chokes out after a few bars. Only sporadic notes are played with muffled sound ever after.

Well, at least the behavior is consistent now as it doesn't work at all no matter which host I use...

Ok, I'll take this version down to avoid others downloading it and send it back over to QA to do some further tests.

If you are reporting issues here, could you please add some system info? I've personally tested Collective on macOS 10.12.6 and Ubuntu 16.04 so it would be interesting to see what systems these failures are on. And crash logs really help determine exactly where crashes are. On Mac and Windows we can see the exact line of code that's crashing from the crash log (and the associated DMP file on Windows).

Software:

Stock Kubuntu 16.4

Hardware:

Dell Precision M3800 (mine has the 1920x1080 display)
i7-4702HQ at 2.2 GHz (4 real cores + HT, 3.2 GHz Boost, Intel HD Graphics 4600)
16 GB RAM / 16 GB swap
Nvidia Quattro K1100M ( 2 GB RAM), proprietary drivers.
Samsung EVO 850 512 GB SATA SSD

All test were done with the internal sound card (Alsa and PA). It makes no difference which graphics card is used.

This seems to be a real nightmare for the developers :0
Quad Core | 16GB DDR4 | 240 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD | FLStudio ASIO | 1 GB Video | W10 x64

Funny, i ve made one test and it worked for me without any crash (i3, windows 10)! Much better than any previous time with Collective.
Test scenario:
opening waveform
insert 1 instance
creating SUPERSAW preset (PLEASE, ADD INIT PATCH!!)
create chords
insert 2nd collective
selecting preset, playing arp
insert 3rd collective
selecting preset, playing bass
inser 4th collective
selecting presets, playing drums

no problemo....

btw i ve found gui bug. Double-Click on any value label it gets into pseudo edit mode and it looks weird ;]

fwsuperhero wrote:btw i ve found gui bug. Double-Click on any value label it gets into pseudo edit mode and it looks weird ;]
Thanks for the heads up. We'll get that sorted.

i test new collective (VST2 64 bit) beta log show when i rescan VST. log show only this

"18 Oct 2017 10:29:07 *** ERROR: Plugin crashed: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Collective (64 bit).dll
18 Oct 2017 10:29:15 ----- Launched Plugin Scan Process
18 Oct 2017 10:29:24 *** ERROR: Plugin crashed: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Collective (64 bit).dll
18 Oct 2017 10:29:32 ----- Launched Plugin Scan Process"
I''ve personally tested Collective on macOS 10.12.6 and Ubuntu 16.04
and what CPU type you have ?. the user who get it working use a I3. I3 have 2 cores. maybe problem happen only when have more than 2 cores.

i know this from expert programmers. It is very usefull when you run VMware or something other to have more test installations and a win 10. due to diffrent installations can earlier coding mistakes see. and the expert developer tell me, that a developer that think that the program run on his machine he have error free written, is a bad programmer.

for other thread, because there is new collective, i send the logs when i test with newest. maybe problem is gone
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

That is a LOL attempt to fix it ;)

For devs... Have you noticed that first crash reports are coming from Germany (and its neighbors)? May be just a coincidence, but you remember with Waveform it was not.

You may have something here.

I've asked my boss several times to move our company and all employees to Hawaii but for some unknown reasons he refuses to do so. Maybe he is part of the conspiracy?

Uhotug wrote:That is a LOL attempt to fix it ;)

For devs... Have you noticed that first crash reports are coming from Germany (and its neighbors)? May be just a coincidence, but you remember with Waveform it was not.
in german windows file names are longer and also text is longer. possible that there is somewhere too few space for local variables and so buffer overflow can happen. windows use shadow directories. for example in german windows there can access the documents and settings folder with Dokumente und Einstellungen which is longer text. and it is possible that bad written code access on local variable space a address due to wrong code and find per random in english version a usefull value(maybe 0) so it work good. but because of the diffrence german text there is in german version no 0. program files folder can access with programme in german windows. when a program access filename to a special windows area, it get diffrent. i think this windows behavior bad, all filesnames should be same. i use waveform in english btw

maybe it help when waveform and collective is compile when developer code with a mem bounds checker. make it slower but maybe find some out of range access. C is a very bad language, but because there is much code to use for C, near all use it, because of easier merge code. a local or global array with dim i[20] and access with i when s=20 get trash and very hard to find things can happen
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

Is always a good idea to read the best practices documents for each platform that you develop for. MS clearly states that you have to use SHGetSpecialFolderPath() to access these locations. It also states that MAX_PATH is dangerous to use to reserve local memory for file names. System folders will usually not exceed MAX_PATH but user file names can actually have any length. Linux has the same problem but it uses by default a much larger buffer for FILENAME_MAX (4096) as Windows for MAX_PATH (260).

But activating the bounds checker is a great idea. I could run a debug version inside gdb if that helps (with NDA if needed). You could also do it in a Teamviewer session on my computer but I'm not sure that screen sharing tools can grab low level audio on Linux.

I have mentioned Germany since fixed in 8.2.5 Linux bug was with DE locale (numbers representation in text form). But let us describe our environments:
DE HD - Ubuntu 16.04, numeric - de_DE.UTF-8, language ru_RU.UTF-8
Window 10 pro DE, but I do not try to use Collective there.

Return to “Tracktion”