Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Nice synth, i like the sound and features, very pretty, although i agree some fonts are a bit compressed and hard to read on my laptop screen; but its defo not a deal breaker, and maybe looked upon in the future!
Wish you success!

Maybe it would improve ergonomics if there weren't those shadows across the GUI. Reminds me of Tone2...

AndreasH wrote:@exmatproton
Check settings -> optimize polyphony
Smart way to reduce cpu usage.
It reduces with 5 to 10 % indeed.

Impodiam wrote: I run a 15 inch laptop for production and the normal UI was to small and the Next level was to big.
This is a big boy synth designed to run on modern hardware. I could complain about it not running on an ancient Atari ST but that would be just as silly.
wagtunes wrote:Of course I made a decent point. But I'm me, so I'm not allowed to.
God, how I hate this place.
No, you've simply exposed...once again....how poorly spec'd your studio system is and no I'm not talking about your CPU. If you're running an i7 desktop through a 17" monitor that's just as silly as asking it to run on an Atari ST. If you were still running a Pentium 4 would you complain about the CPU demand being too high for your system ? Of course not....no difference if your display is not up to modern standards.

You can't expect every small developer to cater to every mutant system config out there. I'd rather they spend that time on new features that actually effect the sound since the vast majority of us will find the GUI perfectly functional.

I haven't even loaded it yet and I know the Thorn GUI will be perfectly functional and readable here....because my system is properly spec'd.

You "hate this place" but you bring it on yourself. Keep using an ancient monitor and bitching about GUI's and people will continue to respond in kind. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Anyway back on topic, off to try the demo. I'm a huge fan of Dmitry's work and I'm sure Thorn will not disappoint.... :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

wagtunes wrote:
Of course I made a decent point. But I'm me, so I'm not allowed to.

When you keep coming back to something you claim to hate, it's often sign of an addiction or obsession. Nearly 3000 posts a year suggests it's one or the other.

Perhaps a long break would be a good idea.

First impressions...gorgeous GUI, great workflow, and sonically Thorn is an apt name. 8)

Teksonik wrote:
Impodiam wrote: I run a 15 inch laptop for production and the normal UI was to small and the Next level was to big.
This is a big boy synth designed to run on modern hardware. I could complain about it not running on an ancient Atari ST but that would be just as silly.
wagtunes wrote:Of course I made a decent point. But I'm me, so I'm not allowed to.
No, you've simply exposed...once again....how poorly spec'd your studio system is and no I'm not talking about your CPU. If you're running an i7 desktop through a 17" monitor that's just as silly as asking it to run on an Atari ST. If you were still running a Pentium 4 would you complain about the CPU demand being too high for your system ? Of course not....no difference if your display is not up to modern standards.

You can't expect every small developer to cater to every mutant system config out there. I'd rather they spend that time on new features that actually effect the sound since the vast majority of us will find the GUI perfectly functional.

I haven't even loaded it yet and I know the Thorn GUI will be perfectly functional and readable here....because my system is properly spec'd.

You "hate this place" but you bring it on yourself. Keep using an ancient monitor and bitching about GUI's and people will continue to respond in kind. :shrug:
I still use a really old 17" monitor (flat not crt) I dont have a problem with any GUI's

:shrug:

Teksonik wrote:
This is a big boy synth designed to run on modern hardware.
Lol "big boy synth".
Dude this is an I7 2017 laptop with 16gb of ram.
Is that not modern hardware?
Are they really expecting the average user to be using somthing different.
Especially when vast majority of modern producers are increasingly using laptops.
And me being In Collage and on the run i can't always be in my home studio and connected to my system. So this is a decently significant issue. Also every other synth I own works and looks fine on my interface. Even "Big boy synths" like falcon and serum.

Very nice synth. It has a nice wide range of possibilities, good CPU optimization, really nice interface - very well thought out with a wide tone palette. it looks pretty easy to use too. This is after 30 mins of playing with the demo, so not based on a deep dive. It's what I would expect if Dmitry Sches created Hive. I'll buy this later today because I can make good use of it.

But as per usual, I will try and play The Dev Retail Game and wait to see if it shows up on any distributor sites at a lower price... *groan*

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Impodiam wrote:Also every other synth I own works and looks fine on my interface. Even "Big boy synths" like falcon and serum.
Exactly. The other thing about 2017, aside from large LCDs being cheaper than they used to be, is that scalable, readable GUIs that support many different screen sizes, resolutions, viewing situations and clarity of user's eyesight, are the standard. There is no excuse for a hard-to-see GUI, and there's plenty of competition to turn to when anything about the interface makes the experience unpleasant.

General statement. I haven't tried the synth yet, hopefully will get a chance to tonight. But it's going to have to be incredible (and unique) in terms of sound, AND a good experience to program from scratch, AND have a friendly and usable UI to meet my standards.

Teksonik wrote:

Okay, I'm going to ask a very legitimate question and I hope you will answer me in a civil manner.

In researching another product (Bluecataudio Patchworks) I came across a video on Youtube where this person demonstrated how it can host multiple VSTs and save them as a patch. Pretty cool but not sure it's something I really need. But I digress.

The screen he was using was obviously HUGE. It was wide screen. He was using Pro Tools. He had 5 VSTs up on the screen and could have easily put 2 more up and none of them overlapped. That's how big this monitor was.

Here's the problem. Each VST literally took up a corner of the screen. The GUIs were so small I don't see how anybody can possibly see anything on them.

Now, during the course of the video, he did zoom in to each VST to show whatever changes he was making. Now, I don't know if this zoom was done with the video software (Camtasia has a zoom in feature when making videos) or with something inside Pro Tools or something else.

Point is, that huge screen isn't going to help me one bit if those GUis are all the size of pin heads.

So, here is my question. Is there an EASY way to zoom into the VST that I want to work with so that it actually becomes readable?

If so, how? I will run out today and buy a new monitor.

But I still suspect it will be several hundred dollars wasted as I do not think it is going to solve my problem. Not judging by the video I just watched.

AnX wrote:I still use a really old 17" monitor (flat not crt) I dont have a problem with any GUI's :shrug:
So what do you think is Wag's problem ? Old and blind ? But then I'm old and blind too so that's not a good excuse..... :lol:

Ok I installed the Demo on my internet computer which has a cheapo 24" Monitor running at 1920x1080 and it looks perfectly fine even at Normal size. "Large" doesn't quite fit here but it will fit perfectly on my studio computer. Simply put the GUI is a non issue and yes my eyes are shyte but I use these new high tech tools called "glasses" and find they work wonders........ :hihi:

I like the sound as well......very edgy. Despite claiming I won't buy any more synths I'll have to get Thorn especially considering the intro price. Probably won't be until November but Thorn is a no-brainer in my opinion. Well done !

:tu:

Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:I still use a really old 17" monitor (flat not crt) I dont have a problem with any GUI's :shrug:
So what do you think is Wag's problem ? Old and blind ? But then I'm old and blind too so that's not a good excuse..... :lol:
So am i...and i wear reading glasses...

Return to “Instruments”