Best free synth to rule them all?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Synth1

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:It would have to be either Dexed or OB-Xd. Both could easily be full price paid synths. I would go with Dexed, because of the architecture and versatility of FM, if you are into that kind of synth. Stunning sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSs1-020nNY
OBxd doesn't have effects. I'm gonna have to check out Dexed, though programming FM when you're on the run from zombies seems a chore.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I would still pick Synth1 for this title. It's still the only general purpose VA that just nails the concept. So fast to program, yet has all the right features laid clearly on one page.

I wouldn't mind trying a replacement with more modern tech, but so far haven't found any.

There is no such thing as best synth.
They are too different to start in a race in the same one category.
What is best ? Apples, or oranges, or tomatoes ?

We can only have best if we make proper categories, for example:
Best free DX7 is DEXED.
Best free JX-8P is PG-8X
Best free SQ80 is SQ8L
Best free general VA that can do sounds from vintage synths like Polymoog, Minimoog, OB-X, OB-8, Jupiter 8, Synthex, etc. is Xhip.
Best "free" modular VA is Sonigen Modular.
Best free synth with drawable oscillators is Oatmeal.
Best free synth for the number of good sounding and useful presets is Synth1.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

OK maybe not exactly matching the criteria set by the OP, but my practical choice for decent quality free-ish sounds would be:

Dune BE + FX section from Diversion

What you get with this combo is one of the better VA synths, and one of the better synth FX.

AJYoung wrote:Probably the old VST version of ZynAddSubFX that everyone forgets about. Sure it's only 32-bit and the interface is disastrous, but it's THE most powerful freeware synth out there, period.
Sure is. But, what's it worth, if the synth itself is as buggy as it is, even in the version with the fancy GUI?

izonin wrote:OK maybe not exactly matching the criteria set by the OP, but my practical choice for decent quality free-ish sounds would be:

Dune BE + FX section from Diversion

What you get with this combo is one of the better VA synths, and one of the better synth FX.
I used to jam a lot with that combo. :tu: Somehow i even prefer DiversionFx to Tantra, i don't know, i simply never got warm with that one.

chk071 wrote:
AJYoung wrote:Probably the old VST version of ZynAddSubFX that everyone forgets about. Sure it's only 32-bit and the interface is disastrous, but it's THE most powerful freeware synth out there, period.
Sure is. But, what's it worth, if the synth itself is as buggy as it is, even in the version with the fancy GUI?
I haven't seem to have run into any glaring bugs in the old Jackoo VST-port, which is what I was referring to. After all, that's the only VST version of it that's free.

The new GUI version is certainly buggy. I've written up a lot of bug reports for Mark though, and things are slowly starting to get better.
Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

ZynAddSubFX was a true masterpiece indeed. Only think holding it back was the bugginess and klunkiness of its interface. Man it sounded good though.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote:ZynAddSubFX was a true masterpiece indeed. Only think holding it back was the bugginess and klunkiness of its interface. Man it sounded good though.
You guys crack me up. Yeah, the only thing bad about ZAS was it was buggy as hell, had a horrendous interface and nobody could really use it. But other than that, it was an amazing synth. LMAO.

:hihi:

wagtunes wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:ZynAddSubFX was a true masterpiece indeed. Only think holding it back was the bugginess and klunkiness of its interface. Man it sounded good though.
You guys crack me up. Yeah, the only thing bad about ZAS was it was buggy as hell, had a horrendous interface and nobody could really use it. But other than that, it was an amazing synth. LMAO.
Right LOL!

I've yet to hear it sound "great" FWIW. It's open source so it's hard to knock it too much, after all, if you don't like it, you're free to change it. I'm just having a difficult time decomposing the enthusiasm into objective analysis and the open source factor.

wagtunes wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Is there a free sampler?
Arguably the best one out there.

http://www.tx16wx.com/
This looks awesome. I don't get how I miss stuff like this. I guess this one has flown very much under the radar.

Return to “Instruments”