Audio interface that won't die

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I make music on a laptop, and I'm looking for suggestions for a reasonably inexpensive USB audio interface that I can move around a lot and not have issues long-term with cables/ports/etc.

Essentially, I've had a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (1st gen), then a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) and they've both developed issues with having to wiggle the cable around to get them to work. I've had the current one for less than a year, and it's getting harder and harder to make it work.

I need at least one XLR mic input with phantom power, a headphone jack, and ASIO drivers with decent latency so that I can process and listen to the mic input live. I don't have any immediate need for instrument inputs or MIDI. I'm using Windows 10 and Reaper.

Thanks

My Steinberg UR22, and UR12 interfaces haven't died on me yet. :D If that's of any help for you, i have both for merely a year. Seem to be pretty solid though, at least they look and feel like it.

My Mackie Spike is still going strong. I’ve travelled with it for ~10 years+, bouncing around my backpack and it still works perfectly. Even works with my iPad these days. The sound quality still stands up too, for demos, demoing and radio at least.

I can fault Mackie on many things (and have) but build quality isn’t one of them. Seems to be a Loud Tech thing as the amps I’ve got from Crate and Blackheart are similarly robust.

So I’d check out Mackie Audio Interfaces with a metal casing.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

I've had my RME Multiface for over 15 years, built like a tank, drivers still get updates
Amazon: why not use an alternative

My old Motu that I caried around a lot is still fully functionnal and drivers work on any OS or computer.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

my friend is using a rme interface(babyface i think)
rme is good but is also a bit steep in price
he is using that for 3 apprx years now
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Thanks for your suggestions, you've been very helpful.

DJ RME babyface pro (or is it bro? )

All joking aside I've loved mine for a long time now. Better latency, great sound, awesome drivers, go team RME!

incubus wrote:DJ RME babyface pro (or is it bro? )

All joking aside I've loved mine for a long time now. Better latency, great sound, awesome drivers, go team RME!
Best mini interface out there. Period.

I think it's been 2 1/2 years now. I can't believe I waited as long as I did. Of course the original BF didn't have the really low latency drivers.

My Echo MidiMia (PCI) has got to be going on 15 years. I probably should look at upgrading sometime.

Not cheap but for long life- rme.

counterparty wrote:I've had the current one for less than a year
Where did you buy it? In the EU it should still be under warranty, two years being standard and some well-known dealers offering 3 years. If it's not covered by the warranty I'd change brand AND dealer. BTW, it's possible to change USB port if that's the problem.

Honestly, I spent more on all the lesser audio interfaces before the RME I would have saved money getting the RME in the first place. It's the Boots theory of socio-economic unfairness in action.

+1 for RME. Among the big boys in the audio interfaces game their price/quality ratio is the best.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”