Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Issue: I use a mac pro with an apple trackpad. I see no way to adjust parameter mod amount. manual says right click. there is no right click on the trackpad. control-click doesn't do it. I've tried to email DS on his site but I get an error that the form submission doesn't work. Can't buy Thorn without mod amount... so... there it is, no go.

2 finger click = right click

[edit] 2 finger tap i should say...

sqigls wrote:2 finger click = right click

Yes, but it needs to be set up in System Preferences (Trackpad) first.

You can alternatively set it to have either bottom corner of the pad function as the secondary click, or even Control-click.

Furthermore, three-finger drag can be set, and that's really useful for moving windows, notes on piano rolls, and faders, knobs etc. :tu:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am not sure how DS vets his testers or if he even does beta testing. But he always seems up on fixes. Tantra had a .01 release within three weeks, and a .02 release ten days after that. Less than four months later it was at 1.1. And I have had no real issues since 1.02 (currently on 1.12).

So I expect them to chomp on this a few weeks and get things sorted for us.

P.S. Yes I am anal about my updates and despite having hundreds of plugins, I keep tight records and backups of downloads. :o

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

You can alternatively set it to have either bottom corner of the pad function as the secondary click, or even Control-click.

Furthermore, three-finger drag can be set, and that's really useful for moving windows, notes on piano rolls, and faders, knobs etc. :tu:
This is not right-click. This is secondary click. That is the Apple nomenclature. it is NOT right-click and does not work with Thorn. When you posted this did you try it or are you just hoping?

using a macbook right now, two-finger tap, opens menu for octave, modulation etc

Needs a mix control for Harmonic Filter...
workaround can modulate the Harmonic Filter Power -% via matrix, but a mix knob PLEASE Dmitry!
along with the Macbook friendly Large size ;)
Great synth!

sqigls wrote:using a macbook right now, two-finger tap, opens menu for octave, modulation etc
Exactly. That's apple's "secondary click" which is pretty much control-click. But it is not a right-click. Mac's don't have a right click. (Pretty big oversight IMHO)

plexuss wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

This is not right-click. This is secondary click. That is the Apple nomenclature. it is NOT right-click and does not work with Thorn. When you posted this did you try it or are you just hoping?
On my 2011 MBP & 2015 iMac I have the secondary click set to bottom right corner of the trackpad. I can then adjust the modulation by sliding another finger up and down. It's a bit awkward but it works.

Something wrong with your trackpad maybe ? :(

plexuss wrote:When you posted this did you try it or are you just hoping?
Hoping you weren't gonna react like a snarky, ungrateful aresehole, perhaps :shrug:

But, no! I did not get up at 5am to check whether Thorn deals in Apple's "Nomenclature". I was just adding to information someone else gave. I guess we both were wrong.

Sorry :tu:

lnikj wrote: On my 2011 MBP & 2015 iMac I have the secondary click set to bottom right corner of the trackpad. I can then adjust the modulation by sliding another finger up and down. It's a bit awkward but it works.

That doesn't work for me. I have two different trackpads and they both do the same thing: nothing. This is more likely an issue with macOS perhaps treating the trackpad differently on different macs... apple breaks this kind of thing all the time. Oh well. Until its fixed if ever I guess I'll have to pass on Thorn.

plexuss wrote:
lnikj wrote: On my 2011 MBP & 2015 iMac I have the secondary click set to bottom right corner of the trackpad. I can then adjust the modulation by sliding another finger up and down. It's a bit awkward but it works.

That doesn't work for me. I have two different trackpads and they both do the same thing: nothing. This is more likely an issue with macOS perhaps treating the trackpad differently on different macs... apple breaks this kind of thing all the time. Oh well. Until its fixed if ever I guess I'll have to pass on Thorn.
Recently Matthew Friedrich released a very revised GUI with different control interactions for his Buchla Easel 'emulation' Lyrebird. The first version relied on the same control interaction as Thorn for modulation; in the second version this had been entirely removed and he made a point of this in his release notes.

This may have been due to people just finding it awkward on trackpads, but it may have been more than that - that it was just not working at all for some.

Just speculation ... but maybe worth flagging it up with Dmitry.

This post made me curious. Never heard from Dimtry. Sadly the page is down. Anyone else reaches the site?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

stardustmedia wrote:This post made me curious. Never heard from Dimtry. Sadly the page is down. Anyone else reaches the site?
Tried a few times (fast refresh of page) then it works.. ..at least here.

UPDATE: Nope, don't work here anymore as well as i can't get rid of the 500 Internal Server Error like yesterday.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Hello guys, first of all, thank you for kind words, feedback and critique. Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible to have 100% clean release and think out all things before it hits public, but I'll try to fix everything in short time. Thank you for the bugs found and suggestions, I carefully have read the thread and now I'm on making an update ASAP.

Please post here, PM or mail me if you find anything, I'm collecting all the issues and will fix/adjust.

Thank you for your interest and support!

PS. Sorry for the website, it sometimes gets down, but quickly returns. I'm going to upgrade it to handle the load and will try to make it smooth.

Return to “Instruments”