First MIDI Controller - Keys

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello there :phones:

Looking for my very first MIDI Controller. Planning to use it alongside Ableton Push 2 which i'm going to purchase a little bit later, cant afford it right now but i cant wait to start playing with music in a "hardware" way. Mouse and keyboard are not my way to do it. At the moment my setup contains:

Maxbook Pro
Shure SM58
AI Scarlet Solo
Monitors
Ableton

Im just into keys and Push lacks it. Don't need more than a 49.

I loved the Arturia Essential/Keylab 49 because of the included software with solid amount of great sounds, i was already pretty sure that it is going to be my choice but then despite many positive reviews i read comments about poor key quality and how easily they break. That's why i'm here guys.

Do you have any recommendations?
My budget vary between 200-220 pounds.

If you are going to get Push later that is going to handle most control of plug ins in a easier way, so go with something with less stuff, maybe the Roland A49.

I think Roland APro line has good keys, well made, it doesnt have fancy software nevertheless.
dedication to flying

Look somewhere for ESI KeyControl 49 XT
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I would strongly advice to focus mainly on the keybed feel and quality, and less on other things such as included software and additional features. It's an instrument, not just a "note input device", and the difference between cheap keys and proper ones is just massive, and certainly enough to affect your musical results. Reliable velocity response is key. Try to get your hands on as many keyboards as you can before deciding, there's three general classes; synth-action, semi-weighted and fully weighted/hammer-action (like piano), choosing between these is a very personal preference.

If you're using Live, I recommend Novations Remote SL range. They integrate with Live straight out of the box (just select it in Live preferences). Decent semi-weighted keys with aftertouch and plenty of knobs & sliders. Or ... a second hand X-Station 49 if you can find one.

Hello guys

First of all thank you for all of the replays.

Digged the forums, read lots of reviews and finally decided to raise my budget and get solid product.

My pre selections are:

Akai Advance 49
Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2
M-Audio CTRL49

Setup still matches the one from the first post. Ableton Live user.

Do u have any personal experience with the ones listed above?
My can spend like 550 Euro tops at the moment.

Cheers

I've tried the Akai and NI, both are ok and in the decent range of controllers. The Akai felt clunkier, but that's just a personal thing. I'd add Novation SL to that range, it has a Fatar keybed like the NI.

Got Advance 49. It's awesome when it works, but it took 15 month of patching and troubleshooting before it actually worked as advertised :P Certainly the highest quality keyboard I ever touched, though I'm not a pianist or anything.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2 is supplied with the nicest software.

Got Advance 49. It's awesome when it works
:lol: :lol: Ain't that the truth!! I'd rephrase it though - "It's awesome if it works" :lol:

I usually recommend Korg Taktile...a board which slipped under the radar for most but is quite good. Imo it has a better keybed than the Advance. It pales in comparison with instruments made for people with playing skills like the DX7 and V-synth in keybed quality but that's only to be expected. Get the Triton Taktile version and you get 572 patches from the Korg Triton too. They maybe dated in some ways but there's a great line of worthwhile patches as well. Only problem is...you cannot save the edited Triton patches. Comes in 25 and 49 key versions.
I've tried the Keylab 88 and the keys (although weighted) are extremely noisy and just feel wrong. If they're anything to go by, I fear the 49 is dreadful.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”