Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Page is online. Gave the demo a shot. Good synth, good first impression, but nothing for my setup. I already have so many synths, it doesn't give me something that I cannot do with others. That doesn't mean it's nothing for other users.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

sches wrote:Thank you for the bugs found and suggestions, I carefully have read the thread and now I'm on making an update ASAP.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Sounds good, looks good, I don't get fonts complain.

But after resizing the GUI no longer fits my screen and I can't get to the size Menu, it is off limits of the GUI window, so I can't use it anymore.
dedication to flying

Making some basslines now.. Thorn is giving me the chills :D Some asia influenced bellish sounds came pretty fast too.. If I dig deeper to this synth, I'm afraid I'll come pretty fast too and mess my keyboard.

Distorted Horizon wrote:Making some basslines now.. Thorn is giving me the chills :D Some asia influenced bellish sounds came pretty fast too.. If I dig deeper to this synth, I'm afraid I'll come pretty fast too and mess my keyboard.
Eeeww ... Dude .. really :uhuhuh:

Distorted Horizon wrote:Making some basslines now.. Thorn is giving me the chills :D Some asia influenced bellish sounds came pretty fast too.. If I dig deeper to this synth, I'm afraid I'll come pretty fast too and mess my keyboard.
Your music must have a very organic sound to it!

Dmitry got back to me about the trackpad issue: he confirms it and will issue a fix soon, he said.

Mmmhhh....moving the knob for the cutoff sounds a bit steppy for me. Is there not enough resolution on the knob or is it the engine?

Cinebient wrote:Mmmhhh....moving the knob for the cutoff sounds a bit steppy for me. Is there not enough resolution on the knob or is it the engine?
Yes, it does step a small amount, some 30-40 hz increments, but it's only if you move the knob by hand. Modulation of the cutoff sounds smooth to me.

Noticed a bug though, if you hold the cutoff knob and move it, the values shown in the display will disappear after a few seconds - even though you're still moving the knob.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

And while we're at the Bugs - the Post HP and Post LP in the Distortion module appear to work even though the Mix is set to 0?
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

plexuss wrote:Your music must have a very organic sound to it!
I could almost say that some sounds are very fluid :D

That Drive in the filter section must be the best one I heard so far. Power indeed! :clap: The Glitch section is a ton of fun.
My impression is that even the smallest knob on the GUI has a huge influence on the sound, which is very cool.

A big issue for me is the .dll size (70MB): one instance uses 14% of my RAM. U-He and KV331 stuff use much less.
CPU usage: from 15% up.

+1 for an intermediate GUI size between Normal and Large.
On my 1080 screen, Normal is too small and Large too big. :dog: I had the same issue with 2CAudio...

Normal

Large

Stupid question, but... is the size of the DLL really an indicator for the RAM usage?

nvm
Last edited by murnau on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

chk071 wrote:Stupid question, but... is the size of the DLL really an indicator for the RAM usage?
No, it isn't. The best example would be Kontakt where dll files are like 40-60MB, while when you load it, it takes 400-500 MB, depending on version (K4, K5). So, if there are resources/files which plugin uses outside of dll those things will be put into RAM.

Thanks, that's what i was expecting too. :)

Return to “Instruments”