Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

antic604 wrote:Works fine in Bitwig Studio 2. I like the sound very much and will definitely be getting this. Regarding the GUI, the "normal" size is just perfect - on Surface Pro 4
Good to know the normal size fits well .. does it support multitouch?

maschinelf wrote:Good to know the normal size fits well .. does it support multitouch?
I've not tried it, but I can't see why it wouldn't? Will check it out in the evening.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks, would certainly appreciate info on this without having to demo myself. I deliberately keep my SP4 very lightweight, as it has very little space to begin with and I don't want to dig around the registry too much if I decide to uninstall stuff later.

And atleast I was initially a bit surprised about how few plugins actually do support multitouch. IIRC, only sylenth1 and falcon do support it among the ones I own. None of the NI plugins do, and I think neither do dune2 and u-he plugins. From what I've read, the d16 plugins are also multitouch capable but not much else out there apart from that.
Last edited by maschinelf on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeePok wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Speaking of presets, is anyone able to browse/audition patches by using your QWERTY keyboard up/down arrows? Or even the left/right arrows? I tried in both Studio One as well as Reason, but can't get it working. Truly irritating if Dmitry makes you click on the little arrows with your mouse to do this. :x :x :x Please tell me I'm missing something obvious!

Nope! My experience too.

And I'm also joining the choir for an Intermediate GUI size (or a bigger standard one, currently the standard one is a little uncomfortable)

And a few glitches:

- Sustain Pedal doesn't 'hold' sequences (to keep them playing)

- When playing chord seqs the velocity of ANY note controls the velocity of the WHOLE sequence (?)
ARRRRGH!!!! Is Dmitry in this thread? I can’t be arsed to scour every page. I really think he needs to fix this.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Well, if you want to save him from reading every single page of this thread, shoot him a mail. :) He's very responsive really.

I'm thinking about possible uses of that harmonic filter. It is known that oscillators of different synths may have different harmonic content, even if they are the same saw, pulse or triangle waves. E.g. here are some pics comparing the spectrum of saw waves produced by several synths.

https://synthmorph.com/blogs/news/acces ... synthmorph

Shouldn't it be possible to recreate the character of oscillators of various synths in Thorn using manually drawn harmonic filter curves?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

chk071 wrote:Well, if you want to save him from reading every single page of this thread, shoot him a mail. :) He's very responsive really.
Yeah I planned to. ;) Just thought an open/public dialog here with him might be useful.

The Avenger request I made was rejected by the dev, but I feel this is critical to Thorn. Right now, auditioning presets is archaic to the point of being broken, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

maschinelf wrote:Thanks, look forward to your reply. You'd actually be surprised how many don't support it. IIRC, only sylenth1 and falcon do support it among the ones I own. None of the NI plugins do, and I think neither does dune2 and u-he plugins. Multitouch would be great for something like Bazille in particular.
Well, I tried working in Bitwig's touch profile several times, but I just don't see it. I always end up doing something different that I intended, even despite the fact that they've come up with some clever things especially for the touch interface. Trackpad & keys work much better for me :)

Regarding Bazille (or other VSTs not supporting multi-touch) - why won't you just map selected parameters to the remote page(s)? Pretty sure it would work from there. Bazille even has a default remote page already in Bitwig.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Well for one thing, I don't even own a type cover so I'm completely reliant on the bitwig touch profile for my SP4. And that's pretty much the reason I got it, as I got it on deep discount plus an exchange with my old Dell laptop.

The other thing, which is why I mentioned Bazille in particular, is that yea I agree you can atleast replicate the ability to control multiple parameters using the remote pages or the controls that show up on the instrument panel. But in Bazille in particular (or something with drag and drop modulation like falcon), multitouch does make a difference while patching points or patching and simultaneously tweaking. I prefer actual keys and knobs on a midi controller, but sometimes it is not possible to carry one along.

skyscape wrote:Superb synth. Will buy. Most of my concerns other people have addressed:

The polyphony really seems too low, especially if you're doing lots of pads/chords with long releases. This synth is already being marketed as an EDM machine, but obviously that's just marketing - it's versatile and so much more than that.

As someone else pointed out - the release on the envelope doesn't seem to be long enough.

More visual feedback on modulations would be really nice, but not ultra important.

The granular effect from Diversion would be really nice to have included.

I LOVE the glitch effect, but worry it might become too overused/obvious - but I'll have to dive into it deeper to see how versatile it is.

While CPU is lower than diversion, it can still bring my PC to its knees with 3 oscillators, a bunch of modulations and some effects. Often that's overkill, but I wouldn't say this thing is light on cpu by a long stretch and it is in fact my only worry, that I won't get as much out of it as I'd hoped due to it choking my cpu (I love Diversion but rarely use it because of this). Don't know how hard it is to implement lower quality modes, but they'd be a godsend.

Very nice indeed, will demo some more but probably buy this weekend.
I was worried about the CPU hit at first, but not so much anymore, and that's mainly because of voice stealing within limited polyphony, which might sound like a bad thing, but in this case, I was surprised by the smoothness of voice stealing, which is often jarringly noticeable in other instruments.

So, when playing complex sounds, CPU might fly to 50%, but if I limit Thorn to 4-voice polyphony, that's pretty much as bad as it will get. Envelope release could be a bit longer, but I'm not too worried about that. The kinds of pads I design let the reverb do the talking.

EnochLight wrote:...Right now, auditioning presets is archaic to the point of being broken, IMHO.
I haven't even listened to the presets yet :P
Too busy USING it.
Really, this is the most exciting thing in ages.
I can see myself using this synth 90% of the time.
Superb!

now I'm selling Diva to buy it, as i'm a poor bitch.
$140, anyone? :D

serious

sqigls wrote:
EnochLight wrote:...Right now, auditioning presets is archaic to the point of being broken, IMHO.
I haven't even listened to the presets yet :P
Too busy USING it.
Really, this is the most exciting thing in ages.
I can see myself using this synth 90% of the time.
Superb!

now I'm selling Diva to buy it, as i'm a poor bitch.
$140, anyone? :D

serious
Auditioning presets is a pretty common practice for preset-tweakers and very much using it (hence the reason why presets are included in the first place). ;) I'm not sure why any virtual instrument in this day and age would not have this ability. It's a gross oversight in development, especially coming from such a dev that is held in such high regard, IMHO.

Hey, understood. I'm not having a go at you, i'm just saying, it's so inviting, I love starting from scratch and getting to know this puppy. As for the dev's 'oversight', I'm pretty sure he's working his ASS off. There's a few obvious omissions and such, but hey, it's v1.0, and it sounds ferkin DEADLY!!!!!! Now buy my Diva license somebody. I wanna get rid of this noise :P

sqigls wrote:Hey, understood. I'm not having a go at you, i'm just saying, it's so inviting, I love starting from scratch and getting to know this puppy. As for the dev's 'oversight', I'm pretty sure he's working his ASS off. There's a few obvious omissions and such, but hey, it's v1.0, and it sounds ferkin DEADLY!!!!!!
I hear ya' - it is a pretty sweet synth, gripes aside. :party:
sqigls wrote: Now buy my Diva license somebody. I wanna get rid of this noise :P
LOL! Good luck with that. Now Omnisphere, on the other hand... :hihi:

I still don't know why the oscillators sound so muffled in the lower octaves. As if you put a lowpass filter on them. Weird. Never noticed that in Diversion. Edit: Nope. Definitely not happenign in Diversion. In general, Thorn sounds a bit muffled. Is there anything on by default which could cause this?

Return to “Instruments”