Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

kmonkey wrote:
D-Fusion wrote:
starflakeprj wrote:
xamido wrote:I'm demoing reason right now and am i right to assume that you cannot use mouse wheel to control fader and knob?

That's a dealbreaker for me.
The deal breaker for me is that Reason can't be started maximized. I hate when I need to maximize the window every time I start Reason.

Joking aside, a bit picky if the deal breaker is that you cannot use the mouse wheel to control faders and knobs, don't you think? There are many other things that must be worse?
Create a template which is maximized then save it and use it as default startup template.
Works as it should here when i do that.
I was about to write same thing. Works fine every time.

Hehe gotta wonder where this world goes in what kind of direction if maximizing window is a "deal breaker" for people. One can solve this easily by defining it's own personal start up template but still you have dudes which are expressing deal breaker parole. OMG. Like i said in the post above about dog which blatantly barked at me. Now humming bird just shitted on me so i must hang myself cuz it's a deal breaker.
You realize I was joking, right? I even wrote "joking aside..." :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I saw yesterday a lot of videos popping up labelled "Reason 10 challenge" so apparently beta is undergoing.

So, any changes to the GUI and/or workflow on top of the new instruments & samples?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Its a contest to get the upgrade free, for beta testers.

*I will say Grain is really nice, quite different from most
other granular implementations. If you like granular stuff
you'll like Grain very likely.

pekbro wrote:*I will say Grain is really nice, quite different from most
other granular implementations. If you like granular stuff
you'll like Grain very likely.
Oh, this I'm sure of! Actually, because of not being a Reason user, all their instruments - Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor - look very appealing and the new ones are like a (huge!) cherry on top. But I keep reading about the outdated workflow and sequencer, while my own experiences with the GUI were not very encouraging at all: rack & mixer in particular are small and pixelated on small, high-DPI screens.

I'm assuming - since nothing was announced - that those things won't change in v10, so I was hoping that beta participants could shed some light on this. Obviously if there's some sort of NDA involved, I don't want anyone to get into trouble :)
Music tech enthusiast

Theres no NDA (again), they're just touchy about that, and very likely to descend
upon us, if we go spouting on about stuff before they're ready.

-Cheers

antic604 wrote:I keep reading about the outdated workflow and sequencer, while my own experiences with the GUI were not very encouraging at all: rack & mixer in particular are small and pixelated on small, high-DPI screens.
Reason’s lack of high definition zoom in the rack and mixer has long been a sticking point (this is not addressed in v10), but it’s workflow is literally its USP. If you don’t “get” Reason’s current workflow, then using it will be lost on most. Still, the new instruments are fantastic. If Reason is your primary DAW, they add great value. Even if it’s your secondary DAW, they’re pretty sweet. Grain is probably the smartest implementation of granular synthesis in a long time.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:Reason’s lack of high definition zoom in the rack and mixer has long been a sticking point (this is not addressed in v10), but it’s workflow is literally its USP. If you don’t “get” Reason’s current workflow, then using it will be lost on most.
As I said, I'm not a current user and just echoing what I've read in this very thread or on Facebook. However, having watched some tutorials from Quanta (BTW, awesome music!) I start to doubt in legitimacy of some of those concerns regarding workflow: all I've seen about sequencer, clip editing, automation, etc. look like a proper, sometimes even ingenious (comping!) implementation of industry standards. Sure, some things are missing, like alias clips or track grouping, but they're not a huge deal, e.g. Ableton doesn't have the former and there's only one level for the latter...

So it seems, my main gripe right now is with the UI.

On a small screen this is obviously not really usable:

Whereas this - while being much better! - still wastes a lot of space for Mixer & Rack handle bars, or the Sequencer's toolbar and Transport that could well be half the height. It looks like this UI was designed when 4:3 monitors were still the standard, so vertical space wasn't that important.

I won't even mention that apparently one can't go full screen and loose the top and bottom Windows bars:

Music tech enthusiast

To full screen: Window - Enter Full Screen. That does what you are looking for.
On the Mixer and Rack handle bars, the arrow far right detaches and removes them.
Hope that helps!

As you say, people talk a lot of nonsense about Reason - most of the supposed gripes are user errors.

antic604 wrote: So it seems, my main gripe right now is with the UI.

On a small screen this is obviously not really usable:

Whereas this - while being much better! - still wastes a lot of space for Mixer & Rack handle bars, or the Sequencer's toolbar and Transport that could well be half the height. It looks like this UI was designed when 4:3 monitors were still the standard, so vertical space wasn't that important.

I won't even mention that apparently one can't go full screen and loose the top and bottom Windows bars:

F5, F6, and F7 are your friends. It allows you to quickly switch between views, full-screen, and get work done. F3 allows you to show and use the browser from any of those views. Yeah, there will always be a little bar at the top, but this allows you to drag each view and resize between the others if you really need to see multiple views at the same time. The transport can be hidden by going to Window => hide/show transport.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:F5, F6, and F7 are your friends. It allows you to quickly switch between views, full-screen, and get work done. F3 allows you to show and use the browser from any of those views. Yeah, there will always be a little bar at the top, but this allows you to drag each view and resize between the others if you really need to see multiple views at the same time. The transport can be hidden by going to Window => hide/show transport.
headquest wrote:To full screen: Window - Enter Full Screen. That does what you are looking for.
On the Mixer and Rack handle bars, the arrow far right detaches and removes them.
Hope that helps!
Thanks guys, will check those tips out in the evening.

God dammit! I get that 'new DAW' excitement, even if I don't really have any time to work in the other 3 I own (Bitwig 2, Live 9 Suite & Studio One 3 Pro)... What's the equivalent of GAS for software? :D

EDIT: WTF?!? The manual for Reason 9.5 is almost 1.2k pages :o
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:EDIT: WTF?!? The manual for Reason 9.5 is almost 1.2k pages :o
Lol! Yeah, it's a meaty read - but extremely thorough. Probably one of the most thorough manuals for a DAW ever written. That said, one of the guys who started the company used to write technical manuals, so it doesn't surprise me.

There’s quite a lot of pictures though ...

antic604 wrote:
So, any changes to the GUI and/or workflow on top of the new instruments & samples?
Nope, none at all.

My first steps with Reason10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq4Flf7f0ZM

headquest wrote:To full screen: Window - Enter Full Screen. That does what you are looking for.
What are you talking about here? There is no such option under Windoze anyway.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”