iLok is dead, long live iLok

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amazon: why not use an alternative

Yeah, and when there's no internet you're f**ked. No, thanks. Hope they'll keep the dongle alive !

Yeah, they don't indicate if it a one time connection to authorise or if you need a permanent connection.

I imagine it will work similar to the soft iLok though not sure I understand the difference really.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

To me it sounds like everytime you fire up your DAW you would have to log in.
Its an interesting alternative, if they could say allow users to log in from
a cell phone if necessary, that could effectively eliminate the internet outage
problem. Basically, most of the primary complaints about the system would
be eliminated. Personally, I would still probably be concerned about security.

Upon launching iLok Cloud protected software, the users will be prompted to provide their username and password. That’s it—the iLok protected software is now ready for use, without any dongles or having to use
What? I hope not every time I instantiate a new plugin! :o
Also, passwords are inherently insecure. That's just screaming for malware collecting people's accounts :) hmmm...

fese wrote:
Upon launching iLok Cloud protected software, the users will be prompted to provide their username and password. That’s it—the iLok protected software is now ready for use, without any dongles or having to use
Also, passwords are inherently insecure. That's just screaming for malware collecting people's accounts :) hmmm...
It will be hacked. Just a matter of time. The problem with all kinds of protection it only makes it more difficult for the legal buyer. Warez users just download and install plugins. I wish there could be a better way for the legal buyer.

Daimonicon wrote:
fese wrote:
It will be hacked. Just a matter of time. The problem with all kinds of protection it only makes it more difficult for the legal buyer. Warez users just download and install plugins. I wish there could be a better way for the legal buyer.
Nonsense. Unless you also think leaving your car with the doors wide open is a smart thing to do, because you feel hassled by locking, or opening it every time you want to drive with it. A copy protection scheme is supposed to give SOME kind of protection, not a bullet proof protection against all kind of idiotism.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:http://www.studio-one.expert/studio-one ... 7cf6f0b3f3

Basically, they're going cloud
There giving a cloud option. Users can still choose to use the dongle, according to the second paragraph in the link. :party:

Yes. Companies decide, like with the dongle option, whether they want to provide one of the protection scheme options, two, or all. It is all possible. I sincerely hope that most will offer the cloud protection though, because it is the bestest option, IMO. I neither like additional software, nor do i like dongles blocking my USB ports.

I love their product so much I'm sure that whatever they decide to do will be great. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chk071 wrote:
Daimonicon wrote:
fese wrote:
Nonsense. Unless you also think leaving your car with the doors wide open is a smart thing to do, because you feel hassled by locking, or opening it every time you want to drive with it. A copy protection scheme is supposed to give SOME kind of protection, not a bullet proof protection against all kind of idiotism.
Not remotely the same. My prior car's barrier to entry was a key and a lock. It did not complicate the function of, or obstruct my use of my own property. It didn't require a constant (and not guaranteed) connection to some online service in order to justify my right to use my own property. Today, the car i drive just requires a key fob to be in my pocket. i push a button on the door; it's like all that's needed is my presence. No barriers, no fuss, no complications. Software copy protection isn't remotely as elegant or simple as securing a house or car with a locked door.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Of course it complicates geting into the car. Just opening the door, or even having no door at all, which would be the equivalent to no copy protection, is much easier, than getting the key out of your pocket, unlocking the door, and opening it. The next step on top of that would be an alarm system. The thing with software is also that the threshold of committing a criminal activity is much lower, when you sit at home in front of your PC, and don't have to fear instant prosecution, because you feel safe.

Anyway, maybe the comparison is wrong indeed. Software protections has completely other demands than protecting a car, because the possibility of a compromise is much higher, hence the protection must be much more solid.

In my opinion, invasive/extreme protection only hurts the legit user. I had some issues with iLok recently, had a bunch of plugins activated on two computers that broke up and I couldn't deactivate licenses from them. I had to ask for support and I was lucky enough for developers to agree on resetting them. At that moment I realized how easy would be to mess up and end up without any licenses.

On the other hand, you'll have to rely on the developer too, if you have a problem with the plugin itself. I don't really see a difference.

They are adding cloud as a 3rd option. Dongle and machine based authorization will remain in place. What is the fuss about?
Play it by ear

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”