Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Yeah, there's definitely something going on... running a LP into a HP yields shitty results.
I think there's some major-ish bug going down, the filter resonance is kinda sus too, just weird.

Thanks, at least I am not alone in this!

cb8rwh wrote:Have any of you tried using the filters in serial. I can't seem to get it to work as expected. I select a BP filter for F1, select a LP for filter 2. Engage the F1 input button next to F2, turn the cutoff all the way down and it seems to have little effect on the sound. I would have expected it to completely filter the sound out.

All the OSCs are sent initially to F1.

Anyone had the same experience? Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

ALso I have just found that if you use the default preset and just engage the serial filter mode, the volume seems to increase. I would have thought the level would stay the same? Perhaps I am misunderstanding serial filters!
If you want to use the filters in serial and you only want to hear the output of filter 2, you need to turn the volume of filter 1 all the way down.

aaaaaah :dog:
RTFM

Ah ok. Thanks for that. I did look at the manual, but it doesn't say turn the volume down. Perhaps this is a standard thing across synths?

Cheers

no generally, if Filter 2 accepts input from Filter 1, there is no separate output to the amp, unless there's a clear parallel mode, must just be serial with Filter 1 vol down, and parallel with the vol up?... oki doki, feel a bit stupid for not trying this earlier... back to the demo asap, hope this is the case anyway

thejonsolo wrote:
skyscape wrote:Superb synth. Will buy. Most of my concerns other people have addressed:

The polyphony really seems too low, especially if you're doing lots of pads/chords with long releases. This synth is already being marketed as an EDM machine, but obviously that's just marketing - it's versatile and so much more than that.
I think this is the second time I have read this here. What on earth are you talking about? If it were 4, or even 8 I would probably agree with you. But 16 voices for a powerful synth like this should be enough. Especially when stacking pad sounds it can break your CPU, heh.

16 voices is just fine for a synth like this.
So it is.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PietW. wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:
skyscape wrote:Superb synth. Will buy. Most of my concerns other people have addressed:

The polyphony really seems too low, especially if you're doing lots of pads/chords with long releases. This synth is already being marketed as an EDM machine, but obviously that's just marketing - it's versatile and so much more than that.
I think this is the second time I have read this here. What on earth are you talking about? If it were 4, or even 8 I would probably agree with you. But 16 voices for a powerful synth like this should be enough. Especially when stacking pad sounds it can break your CPU, heh.

So it is.
It really depends on what kind of sounds you're making and what you're doing with it. Jamming live it can be pretty noticeable but agree in a production it probably won't be a real issue. Most modern synths seem to at least have an option for 32 voice polyphony. I don't know anything about developing softsynths but if extending the polyphony was as simple as tweaking a few variables I don't see what the harm would be (it's probably not).

At any rate, it's far from a dealbreaker - already purchase and very happy with it.

skyscape wrote:
PietW. wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:

So it is.
It really depends on what kind of sounds you're making and what you're doing with it. Jamming live it can be pretty noticeable but agree in a production it probably won't be a real issue. Most modern synths seem to at least have an option for 32 voice polyphony. I don't know anything about developing softsynths but if extending the polyphony was as simple as tweaking a few variables I don't see what the harm would be (it's probably not).

At any rate, it's far from a dealbreaker - already purchase and very happy with it.
Look at Loom2. The can only get 8 votes.

Vortifex wrote:I'm noticing the chorus is causing crackles in FL Studio, anyone else?

Edit: as ever, enabling 'Use fixed size buffers' sorted it.

Double edit: how do I stop the resonance from 'closing off' on a long release? I've made a pad with high resonance, and when I release the keys the resonance reduces as if I've got the ENV release down low but it's set to maximum.

Here's the preset for anyone interested https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7ws2 ... TM0aEowRXM

And is the EQ meant to be spelled EQALIZER?
I hear a violent scratching when moving the knob of Harmonicfilters.

I'm definitely getting some crackling, not sure what it's from yet. but I'm working at 24/96... the CPU meter is only around 20-30% though... nothing else in the project other than Thorn... OSX 10.9.5 x64 , upping buffer size doesn't seem to reduce the crackling.

I wish it showed more live information on current signal and modulation. Just knobs is an outdated concept. Having Serum and VPS Avenger in mind.

if it affects CPU consumption, i'd rather not. but would be cool :)
I'm hoping there will be optimisations that bring the CPU tax down even further.
I dig the visualisation on Cytomic The Drop, comes to mind...

Could someone download this preset please and check if the sample I imported into the Noise OSC is still there? I am just wondering whether the sample gets embedded into the preset or not. I think it does, as I moved the sample after creating the preset and it still worked, but would like a definitive answer :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B57O1l ... sp=sharing

Cheers

Return to “Instruments”