I am really stuck choosing midi controller or wavestation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is it a clever way to buy a quality midi controller and vst rather than buying a wavestation? are there any latency issues when you use midi controller + vst? what can't be done in this combination when compared to wavestation? CONS or PROS? I would really like the sound quality also? which one is better? %80 I am convinced with the midi + vst combo :roll:

tombikadam wrote:is it a clever way to buy a quality midi controller and vst rather than buying a wavestation? are there any latency issues when you use midi controller + vst? what can't be done in this combination when compared to wavestation? CONS or PROS? I would really like the sound quality also? which one is better? %80 I am convinced with the midi + vst combo :roll:
If you mean the Korg Wavestation, and VST versus hardware, I have never owned the hardware. I have heard the VST sounds just like it, and contains all the sound content. I have the Wavestation plugin and love it. I do wish they would improve the small GUI though.

Latency should be minimal (it is for me) with an older plugin like that, especially with a decent PC or Mac.
One of the best things about software is being able to use multiple instances of a plugin in a single project.
Last edited by Examigan on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The VST is cheaper and cleaner (=more HiFi) sounding. Plus one instance is 256-note polyphonic, and you can use multiple instances.

A real Wavestation sounds chunkier (=less hifi) but in a nice way, and you only have 32-voice polypphony (which gets eaten up quite fast). The WS is a decent MIDI controller, with a good keyboard, pitch+mod wheels and the joystick. You might find the display is whiny, which is fairly normal.

I have both the software and the hardware version - these days I only really use the software version for sounds.

Forgot to mention that Korg usually has a sale around the holidays: $25 for each legacy plugin.
Compare that to the hardware price.

what is the best controller out there then? I must use it with ipad

Totally depends on your needs, that's like asking "what's the best guitar?"

Do you play piano? How much space do you have? Do you need to carry it to gigs? Do you want controller knobs? Would you use aftertouch? Do you want drum pads?

In my experience the Novation X-Station works ok with iPad using the Camera Connection Kit USB adaptor, has nice keys and provides some proper audio I/O at the same time. Out of production, though.

yes I play piano and yes I have to carry it also hate to carry heavy things, for me, the controller must be in good quality and the latency also must be very low, I have a8 amd cpu with 16gb RAM but no audio interface

tombikadam wrote:what is the best controller out there then? I must use it with ipad
Then you also could get the iWavestation app which has more features and a better GUI than the desktop plug-in. Actually the iOS version is the most advanced Wavestation :D
Last edited by Cinebient on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

...double...uups.

tombikadam wrote:yes I play piano and yes I have to carry it also hate to carry heavy things, for me, the controller must be in good quality and the latency also must be very low, I have a8 amd cpu with 16gb RAM but no audio interface
You have an iPad but you haven't an audio interface? Probably no MIDI interface either. :dog:

How would you think you'd be using the hardware Wavestation with your computer? And now I understand why you are so concerned with latency.

If you want to have agood keyboard controller and low latency, start by buying a real audio interface, with MIDI built-in. Then you would have a way to connect ANY keyboard controller, and also low audio latency.
Fernando (FMR)

Are you using mainly an iPad? Then i would recommend you not this forum here.
Go to things like Audiobus forum f.e.
Otherwise most you get is "bitching".
There is also something on Gearslutz but it´s the most unfriendly forum ever :o

the controller must be in good quality and the latency also must be very low
All controllers communicate via USB and have no noticeable latency whatsoever, just like any other USB device such as mouse.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I got a hardware Wavestation EX since 2004 (replaced the display backlight last year) and the plugin cince it was released. I love both but still could not decide to sell the hardware...
FWIW i usually got the Wavestation EX connected to my desktop PC using anolder version of an E-Mu X-MIDI 1x1 USB to MIDI interface.

There are indeed sound diffeernces with certain sounds but the same is true with the hardwae EX keyboard (or A/D rack taht i had too for a while) and the SR rack that i had too and which sounded more "Hi-Fi". The plugin seems to be closer to the SR rack than the older Wavestations and the plugin also includes all 11 banks of the SR rack where the older hardware has much less banks. The SR rack was the only one without a built-in vector stick and without the bigger display and opposing to the others it was almost imposible to program it from the hardware.

FWIW i usually use a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 (MK I) as a Midi controller but i also like the key action of the Wavestation EX. It also has both channel aftertouch and velocity. Of course teh WS EX is also nice as a controller for the Waestation plugin and it is possible to use the vector stick for controlling the plugin.

Tony Banks from Geneis had used a Wavestation since it was released around 1990 and still used it on stage in 2007 (where he also used a Korg Oasys Keyboard which is more advanced than a WS...):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZepjETCfFQ
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I used to own an EX ten years ago - loved the keyboard, but I felt the OS was a bit sluggish to program. I'm constantly on the lookout on eBay for a good looking EX though.

The iPad version intrigues me a lot and seems to be very powerful - but I really dislike working with touch screens and music (I have tried for years).

An alternative is if you are looking for a master keyboard - Korg usually bundles their VST plugins if you buy one of their controller keyboards.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Try them in de store. Impulse would have to be #1 popularity ranking. The new Akai range dont have real pads (their touch sensitive) but impulse is same. The Roland one doesn't have aftertouch and neither does the latest Korg. The M-Audio ones tend to have loose keys and cheap build. The Impulse is light but solid construction. The rubber strip inside where the hammers strike is tough as hell which means its not prone to punctures. This is pretty important especially if you play a lot. The others can do a lot more like Kontrol, if you like to access the vsts and shit but I've seen videos on the new one and just to get the arpegiator going seemed pretty tedious, too many shift keys and rituals, id be quicker to just use the mouse in your daw! Plus there's no freaking velocity on each note. So its very basic. Also seems a little pricey.
Wish they'd invent a midi controller that has everything in front of your face, no shift keys just buttons that do exactly what they say they do, even if it meant they had to make the control area twice as big.

Return to “Instruments”