SKnote release Disto-S - A Distressor, fast and effective.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think the fact that ELI acknowledges it as a facsimile in the first place, speaks volumes here. In my mind it’s really a great nod to sknote. In the past, I have been a bit skeptical myself, enough to never have given them the benefit of the doubt. For me this situation provided some much needed legitimacy, allowing me to purchase it solely on the merits of that.

I am happy to say I was not disappointed. I look forward to what else may come from sknote in the future.

-cheers

*I should probably add, my skepticism wasn’t really about the quality of the plugins, but more about the direction of the business itself. With this fine effort, a new website etc. I am confident Sknote is headed in a direction that is worth my support.

bmanic wrote:I don't have access to Disto-S, nor am I going to purchase a license just to find out.... I will never know for sure (nor do I really care).
I wish you did give Disto-S a go and post your findings. As far as compressors go, your posts throughout the years have taught me a lot. As have some of your presets.

Mac AAX users: looks like there was a problem with the link switch, a bug was still living there :evil:

Now it has been removed, please download the files again. Fingers crossed, looks like this new Disto-S is solid as a rock in all its formats including DSP, now.
Last edited by quintosardo on Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Do you guys think Disto-S sounds as good as v2? I don't think it does. I feel like Disto-S has that typical software sound while v2 sounds analog.

Disto-S
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... isto-s.wav

Disto V2
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... sto-v2.wav

Dry
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachm ... sp-dry.wav

You are currently reading my signature.

Dj, that comparison makes no sense at all!

- you cannot match knobs. There's nothing in common between Disto v.2 and Disto-S. Really nothing: ranges, mapping curves, etc.
- with that slow attack you are getting a lot of the peak passing through the compression, then with that Hottitude setting distorting like crazy.

Disto-S is a Distressor, I suggest keeping Hot to its default value to avoid listening to saturation more than to compression.

If you are not interested in a comparison to hw, which I can understand 100%, you should aim to match the sound, NOT looking at the knobs as they are not related.

Thanks for the test, finally some audio in a thread about audio :D

Let's work on it if you want to dig more.
I hope you get my contribution as useful, Disto-S is so new and not yet documented so, while we are loading the instructions online (debugging killed short term plans) I try to help.

P.S. I'll play with the dry file myself and upload some examples and relative presets here if you allow me to :phones:
Last edited by quintosardo on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hm... another Distressor "clone"... looks like this year it was console wars, then tape wars, then back to compressor wars... well, competition is good for business, no?

OH WAIT...
[/freeze frame][/vinyl scratch]

quintosardo wrote:It is Disto, which is coming in two modules: Disto-S and Disto-R.

Today you'll get the brand new Disto-S, Disto-R will follow as an update of the old v.2.
So you continue your shenanigans and instead of fixing existing versions (see various negative commentary on GS regarding broken usability and instability - if that's even still "online" and not removed at this point), you continue to just release new ones - replacing previous plugins completely.

Who needs backwards compatibility anyway these days, am I right?!

And since both Empirical Labs/UAD and Slate beat you to the punch with actual working(!) and licensed versions of the EL-8 and FATSO, this "update" heavily looks like "riding the bandwagon" to me. DISTO as a concept didn't work out, let's split it up because "popularity", which in turn means... er... how is this in modern speech?

"Ka-ching!"

quintosardo wrote:No, I didn't hear of anybody answering to my question "are we comparing it to a hw unit", everything else is just wasting time.
Right...

You're the developer - why not prove your concept first?

Why should we users (those that actually were so crazy and bought your versions - since there is no demo!) do that for you?

EDIT - I wrote this post hours ago. Now someone did post audio comparisons, and we get this answer:
quintosardo wrote:Dj, that comparison makes no sense at all!

- you cannot match knobs. There's nothing in common between Disto v.2 and Disto-S. Really nothing: ranges, mapping curves, etc.

Disto-S is a Distressor, I suggest keeping Hot to its default value to avoid listening to saturation more than to compression.

If you are not interested to a comparison to hw, which I can understand 100%, you should aim to match the sound, NOT looking at the knobs as they are not related.
So you admit that the backwards compatibility is completely gone and you "moved on" from actually fixing DISTO in the first place. Fine - I'm sure some of your users can live with that [/sarcasm]

But let's talk about the audio demos and comparisons in general: From what I've learned from Steven Slate's posts about his(!) licenses Distressor, he didn't talk smack - he actually explained how to compare the hardware with the software (and therefore software clone with software clone, should you so desire). And I must admit, at some point, I couldn't distinguish between them anymore.

Saying "just go by ear" in terms of setting up these devices and compared them with each other is not the least bit scientific, not to mention not reproducible in terms of results. In this case, even completely impossible, as you just admitted "complete new behavior" (therefore, no backwards compatibility). And then you continue to brag about "compare it with the hardware".

Again - why should we (not me, I'm done with your company, really! It's meant as a general statement) users do comparisons for you, the developer?! You want to sell this to us users (again, general term - those people that are interested, and those users that can still acquire licenses from you).

So you should do the efforts at persuasion, and not dance around the room, acting all high and mighty being like "test it with the hardware - you'll realize how great this is".

SHOW - US - !!!

jbarish wrote:Apparently only owners of Disto-S are allowed to comment here.
How very benevolent of you.
Not the first time this happened...

There was recently an incident over on GS where a user was completely removed from a conversation asking for a refund - since there are no demo versions. And "SKnote - a word of caution" is still worth a search here on KVR as well...

murnau wrote:
bmanic wrote:Does it sound good is the only relevant measure at this point in time.. sadly without any way to demo, I will never know for sure (nor do I really care).
From SKnote Terms of service:

If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a product, send an email within seven days from purchase, asking for refund.

:tu:
That... worked out "fine" (quotation marks on purpose!) for user bgood on GearSlutz (same person I was talking about with the previous quote).

Robert Randolph wrote:If you want a near perfect Distressor emulation then FG-Stress is definitely the winner, but I'm not sure that should be the goal.
Oh... nonononononono!
You don't do that to Quinto Sardo, the MASTER OF HARDWARE CLONES... you just don't! Don't you even DARE doing that!

His devices are FLAWLESS! FLAW-LESS !!!!
We just can't APPRECIATE the presence of this outstanding developer.

There can't be ANYTHING BETTER than this creation!
This is Italian precision!

It's like... fine wine...

and popcorn...

*kudos to those that get it!*

FOOTNOTE:
I'm siding with those people being on the critical side of the fence...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hey, just wanted to make a quick bug report: the 20:1 ratio doesn't seem to work. The inf:1 ratio (limiter) may be buggy too.
A well-behaved signature.

Hi!

Uhm... a bit vague! What do you see? Format/platform? First report like this. I cannot find an email about this, either. Best way of dealing with bug reports is that one. Everybody is reporting it as rock solid now (but about somebody talking of autogain). Including DSP.
An update was uploaded today but I cannot help if I don't even know the format.
Last edited by quintosardo on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerGoertz wrote:Hey, just wanted to make a quick bug report: the 20:1 ratio doesn't seem to work. The inf:1 ratio (limiter) may be buggy too.
@JerGoertz? Any basic info? You are the only one reporting this!

quintosardo wrote:
shroom81 wrote:It's doing something odd on my win7 machine, most of the controls do nothing except for volume and gain. If I dial the mix back from 10 I hear some nasty distorted sine/square wave.
Please download it again, it was fixed! :)
Ohh, sry didn't know it had already been fixed :tu:
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

A video where I gradually match the settings between sw and hw on the fly:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqdbCLyL5Y

Please read the description in the text below the video for details.

shroom81 wrote:
quintosardo wrote:
shroom81 wrote:It's doing something odd on my win7 machine, most of the controls do nothing except for volume and gain. If I dial the mix back from 10 I hear some nasty distorted sine/square wave.
Please download it again, it was fixed! :)
Ohh, sry didn't know it had already been fixed :tu:
Yes, it was a tough weekend ;)

quintosardo wrote:Dj, that comparison makes no sense at all!

- with that slow attack you are getting a lot of the peak passing through the compression, then with that Hottitude setting distorting like crazy.

If you are not interested in a comparison to hw, which I can understand 100%, you should aim to match the sound, NOT looking at the knobs as they are not related.

Thanks for the test, finally some audio in a thread about audio :D

Let's work on it if you want to dig more.
I hope you get my contribution as useful, Disto-S is so new and not yet documented so, while we are loading the instructions online (debugging killed short term plans) I try to help.

P.S. I'll play with the dry file myself and upload some examples and relative presets here if you allow me to :phones:
I know the examples aren’t typical, but the point of them was to use more extreme settings for testing purposes. I’m using Disto for saturation as I find it to be one of the best options.
You are currently reading my signature.

for the record, I'm not even seeing the font, or any of the interface, I only see my Kore2, but when I was making my template, I found the font so offensively atrocious that I felt bad for others who will have to peer at it.

fortunately, it seems people have a wide variety of other complaints, so that's all good then. :D

quintosardo wrote:A video where I gradually match the settings between sw and hw on the fly:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqdbCLyL5Y

Please read the description in the text below the video for details.
Can that video please be re-recorded?
I'd love to see the parallel handling of the hardware in realtime as well.

Thanks in advance
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”