Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
generaldiomedes
KVRist

163 posts since 14 Apr, 2017

Postby generaldiomedes; Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:19 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Most patches were modified a little or a lot from factory or the free ones on U-he's site. A few were created from scratch.

This month's synth really was an embarrassment of riches, especially the dearth of FX, the MSEG and the wave building tools. I also like the fact what I learned this month can be applied to Zebra, should I choose to purchase it one day. Definitely has its own character - not an EDM machine by any stretch.

Song: Cause In Effect
Daw: Ableton
Zebra Instances: 61
Daw Effects: EQ, Delay, Reverb, Compressor, Limiter, Saturator, Auto-Filter, Auto-Pan, Utility
Plugins: u-He (Protoverb), Voxengo (OldSkoolVerb, MSED,Tempo Delay), SleepyTimeRecords (Transient), TDR (Kotelnikov), Softube (Saturation Knob), Melda (MStereoExpander), Auburn Sound (Panagement), Ignite Amps (PTEq-X)

https://soundcloud.com/user-947450193/cause-in-effect

Any feedback welcome, especially of the constructive kind :)
Last edited by generaldiomedes on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ontrackp
KVRian

542 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:32 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Jumping in at kind of the last minute. Are commercial effects allowed this month or is it only DAW? Thanks, hopefully I"ll get something done!
Taron
KVRAF

1984 posts since 17 Apr, 2010, from Croatia

Postby Taron; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:36 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

1.5 weeks left, pfff, should be fine, I imagine.
Nope, standard rules. You know where to find them! ;)
doctorbob
KVRian

851 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Postby doctorbob; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:37 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Normal rules. Only free FX ...

Looking forward to hearing your submission this time round ...

dB
ontrackp
KVRian

542 posts since 13 Jan, 2013, from United States

Postby ontrackp; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:38 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Thanks fellows. It's nice to be back after a couple of months of intense work traveling (rural Mississippi.....). By Taron standards I should be able to create a 2 hour symphony in the time that's left.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:40 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Well, it is kinda the right synth for the job! :shrug: :lol: ...you can do it! :hyper:
teilo
KVRist

31 posts since 29 Mar, 2008

Postby teilo; Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:01 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Well here we go. This is my first attempt at a public track, so be gentle. I found Zebralette to be challenging indeed. Even a little frustrating, since I have ZebraHZ, and things I took for granted (like noise) were nowhere in sight.

This is with 9 Zebralette instances, all with custom patches.

DAW: Bitwig 2.2

Effects (all DAW):
Transient Control and EQ on the kick.
EQ on the Snare with Bitwig Beat LFO modulating output level to pump it a bit.
Light Reverb on the Bass
Light Reverb and Compressor on Master.

https://soundcloud.com/teilo/fluorite-transport
Last edited by teilo on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:55 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

You should read the rules, though, at least once, you know! It will keep your head attached much more reliably! :lol:
No commercial plugins! (Those are plugins that cost money, you know, and we're all very, very poor musicians :shrug: (I don't know the whole reason, hahaha, but I assume it is so that everyone has the same chances without having to buy the "best gear", you know.))

Also, you didn't do yourself much service with the reverbs. You drowned everything in them. But you will get plenty of feedback, I'm pretty sure!

Take off Valhalla and Fabfilters and at least you should be within rules. Modulating volume is perfectly fine, though, it's a little cheating, if it creates noise, I'd assume. Fine lines...

Again: Read the rules! If you have questions, go ahead and ask. Best probably in general forum, though?!
teilo
KVRist

Postby teilo; Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:22 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Taron wrote:You should read the rules, though, at least once, you know!

Thank you for pointing this out. I did read the rules, more than once, but I missed the sub-point about effects needing to be freeware. Fixed.

Modulating volume is perfectly fine, though, it's a little cheating, if it creates noise, I'd assume. Fine lines...

The volume modulation is not creating noise. It's in time with the beat to pump the snare. Noise is coming from Zebralette and achieved via Osc effects with MSEG modulation. Snare is also two instances in an instrument later.

As to the reverb, I'm not sure what you are hearing. It's hard to drown anything with a reverb set at 0.5 sec. decay and a 15% mix. There are only two reverb instances. One on the Bass, one on the Master.

(Maybe a tad less condescending next time? :wink: ). Cheers.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:13 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

The condescending touch comes from your first time appearance without properly having read the rules. It's not like there are 100 rules.
The rest just ended up flavored that way. But, please, do what you wish. Drowning doesn't have to mean length of reverb, but depth of it. Your mix sounds washed over, because of it, but it could also just be that weird "kick?!" that has the reverb tail. This is a tip, my dear, nothing to be defensive about. Ironically, my coming entry will be VERY deep inside tons of reverb...but...uhm...well, you'll hear.

One last advice: consider being grateful first before prideful. It just isn't becoming for anyone, really.

Other than that: Welcome to the OSC! :scared: :D
Last edited by Taron on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JLucher
KVRer

1 post since 21 Oct, 2017

Postby JLucher; Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:16 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

https://soundcloud.com/houseofgaming2/c ... om-osc-104
This is my submission for the KVR One Synth Challenge. This is my first time doing the OSC so it's not that good.
I used:
17 Instances of Zebralette
Automation Clips
Limiter
Reverb
Parametric EQ
Compressor
Love Philter
Minimal use of delay
Soundgoodizer
teilo
KVRist

Postby teilo; Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:24 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Taron wrote:Your mix sounds washed over, because of it, but it could also just be that weird "kick?!" that has the reverb tail.

The kick is indeed weird, but that's straight out of Zebralette.

One last advice: consider being grateful first before prideful. It just isn't becoming for anyone, really.

I thanked you for your correction. I'm grateful for that. I'm not grateful for your manners or assumptions.

My parting line was just good advice, something I learned over the course of 44 years, marriage, and rearing 6 children. I hope you can make use of it.

I look forward to hearing your track.
Taron
KVRAF

Postby Taron; Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:08 pm Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

teilo wrote:My parting line was just good advice, something I learned over the course of 44 years, marriage, and rearing 6 children. I hope you can make use of it.

I look forward to hearing your track.

Will you look at that, only a year younger than me, but 6 children older, haha! Mazel Tov! :wink:
(A coffee and a cigarette later...)
It's all good. We'll have plenty of fun here! :tu:
Daru925
KVRist

153 posts since 20 Mar, 2015, from Nerima, Tokyo

Postby Daru925; Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:39 am Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Typhoon on a sunday afternoon is a good opportunity to work on my track efficiently. 8)

Hope i can finish it in time, zebralette really can do so much sounds that its easy to get carried away.
TrojakEW
KVRist

143 posts since 20 Mar, 2012, from Slovakia

Postby TrojakEW; Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 am Re: One Synth Challenge #104 - Zebralette by u-he (New Prizes: u-he plugin, and Synthmorph soundsets)

Here is my humble piece of something. I was planning to make mostly piano track but then it went other way. Well there are some percs here and there and some sub-boom to make you subwoofer dance but track is drums free. Zebralette is very very nice synth for a freebie.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/the-modern-prometheus
Made for KVR OSC #104
FL Studio 12.3
19 instances of Zebralette by u-he
DAW FX's:
2x Maximus
6x Fruity parametric EQ 2
1x Soundgoodizer
2x Fruity Reeverb

Other FX's:
2x Amplio 2
PreviousNext