POLL: How do you save your plugin presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

How do you save your plugin presets?

Not all (saved in the project anyway)
22%
Only as a DAW-preset
20%
Only as plugin proprietary preset
23%
Both DAW and plugin
29%
Both and I even copy the presets into the project foldet
6%

Total votes: 86

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder how you guys handle this, if at all. Do you do it systematically? Always?

At the moment, I try to think about to save them within the plugin, not as Logic preset. And then also copy the presets into the project folder. Most of the times I still forget to do it though :dog:

Most important: Why do you do it and how? What is the benefit for you?

Cheers
Murat
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

By far my preferred choice is individual patches saved as DAW presets (Logic, in my case).

I can step through sounds from MIDI assignments (ie, keys or buttons on my MIDI controller), search for them in the preset browser, and it's just more convenient, faster, and more consistent for me. I often convert out instrument's presets to the DAW format if I can.

The only ones where I don't bother to save DAW presets are for instruments that have extensive tag browsers built in (eg things like Omnisphere) or where the content is so vast it would take forever to do it (even auto-magically).

I also work mainly with Logic. But I never thought about the possibility to flick thru the presets via MIDI. That would be great. Will test that.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Easier for me to save as a DAW preset.
I have sub folders by type which is more the way I think,e.g.
-B3 organ
-Farfisa
-Evolving pad
-Simple pad
-Sequence

I'll save in both. I tend to save individual patches inside the VSTi itself. Multi-layered tracks where I may have 2 or more layered sounds on a track, I save in the DAW so I can easily recall for another time. I focus on playing live and I need to recall sounds from week to week. So glad to have Instrument Racks in Ableton.

I only save as KSD. I'm just a baller like that.

"Random mixture of the above". I guess the determining factor is how nice the inbuilt preset management is.

I use VIP with a M-Audio CTRL 49, so I try and save out multis there, and as presets in the various synths. Sometimes I'll save out presets in Reaper but not so often, that is mostly when the preset browser with the plugin isn't so hot.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Due to constantly hopping between Live and Reaper the plugin preset system is my way to go. But the point of selecting presets by Midi is indeed a good one. :tu:

Mostly now inside the DAW since i only use Logic these days as DAW and i like to layer stacked tracks with different synths, samplers, Fx, midi FX (assigned to automation parameters).
All can be saved, copied or load via on click.
But if i do a patch bank for a single synth or think a patch is worth to save it on it´s own i do it in the synth´s patch browser. But that is seldom these days too.

Selected DAW preset as that's always my choice wherever possible. I've a folder on my drive called 'presets' with subfolders for every synth. Largely so I can easily take my presets with me when/if I reinstall without having to dig through appdata or other esoteric folders in my backup.

I only use 1 DAW and I save my sounds as entire VST chains because I basically never get a sound from start to finish with a single VST as regular "patches".
I set the synth's oscillators, envelopes, filters (not always) and then add external VSTs for distortion/saturation, filters, choruses, delays, reverbs etc. often routed with external LFOs.
So I save the entire thing at once in the main DAW folder as an "FX Chain" which I usually recall with drop-down menus within the DAW or occasionally drag-and-drop as files into the track FX area from regular Windows folders.

By the way... "Both and I even copy the presets into the project folder" is a good idea, thanks :hihi:

The old school way, as fxp.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

If it's a logic plugin, I save the presets in Logic's user library (I assume it's fairly straight forward to move to a new computer). If it's a third-party plugin, I save the preset in that plugin's preset library and often save a copy to my project folder just for future computer reload considerations. I don't want to be struggling to find every 3rd-party plugin's file save location.

Sometimes I tweak a preset and forget to save the changes to a preset. I try to avoid that, though. I've moved machines and reloaded OS so many times (mostly back when I was using Windows and Sonar) that I've become a wee bit paranoid about losing content.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Both, and I never have to copy the presets into the project as Studio One does that for me. So did Live 9 and Reaper, I seem to recall. I thought all DAWs did.

Saving a synth preset in Studio One (or Dodo One, as my autocorrect seems to think), I'm presented with a dialog that asks which folder I'd like to save it in, and it only seems to allow a single level of subfolders, meaning that Hive/EDM/WhoppingGreatSupersaw is out of the question. Time for a feature request, unless another S1 aficionado knows different.

Return to “Instruments”