UVI Falcon, not a great sampler ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote:If it doesn't impact on the sound it's not a biggie
if it impacts on the user editing, it's a pain in the arse. which is a biggie if he wants to do some actual sampling, a laborious enough task as it is without user interface issues.

clearly the guy is [1] proficient with samplers and sampling [2] trying to accurately position which part of the wav he is hearing at any one point in time .... so that he can continue with his editing duties.

it doesn't help to try and diminish these reports as 'not a biggie', when he's trying to improve the sampling bona fides of what is ostensibly a sampler.

Falcon doesn't sample, so that's moot. :D I certainly wouldn't want to do any sort of looping in it, for example, as it's a chore (there's even no overlapping view of loop start/end so that you can see how things loop more easily, as in Kontakt for example). As for setting startpoints, it gets you in the ballpark, but really Falcon wasn't designed to be the ultimate sample tweaking/mapping tool.

EvilDragon wrote:Falcon doesn't sample, so that's moot. :D
heh, that's a fair, though sad, point.

nevertheless, editing issues on a - ahem - sample based instrument should be taken more seriously than glib reductions to 'not a biggie'. imo.

EvilDragon wrote:Falcon wasn't designed to be the ultimate sample tweaking/mapping tool.

right ... but someone creates the sample library content though ..... a sample based instrument, at some point, someone is creating the sample libraries to load in to it. So what's the idea here, keep the editing problematic for the end user, so they buy sample libraries from UVI instead of doing something outrageous like creating their own Falcon sample libraries ?

the guy's Editing related bug report / feature request seems to me like it should be addressed with some sense of priority.

I find it very disappointing though cause creating siundscaoes etc with granular and sampling is great and a dream to do it within 1 vst! Thats why i hope avenger will have more options in the sampler.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

elassi wrote:
billzero wrote:So what is the pb? Cpu? Ram ? Ssd?
i7-4790K
That right there is probably the big difference! The i7-4790K runs up to 4.40GHz, which is twice the clock speed of the OP's system. Even with 4 cores, a single thread can only run at the max clock speed, and no faster.

I have heard that audio software developers usually design the GUI to run at a lower priority than the audio engine. So if you are getting lag on the playback head, without audio dropouts, you are probably maxing out the CPU and it is conserving the cycles for the audio performance.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Daags wrote:right ... but someone creates the sample library content though ..... a sample based instrument, at some point, someone is creating the sample libraries to load in to it. So what's the idea here, keep the editing problematic for the end user, so they buy sample libraries from UVI instead of doing something outrageous like creating their own Falcon sample libraries ?
At one point I asked Olivier from UVI how do they make their own libraries, and he said they edit and loop all the samples in a dedicated tool, not within Falcon, then they just drop the samples in and (auto)map them. So there you have it from the horse's mouth...

EvilDragon wrote: At one point I asked Olivier from UVI how do they make their own libraries, and he said they edit and loop all the samples in a dedicated tool, not within Falcon, then they just drop the samples in and (auto)map them. So there you have it from the horse's mouth...
That’s interesting, I always just kinda wondered if the touted UVI engine was just Falcon with a different name. Man, what I would give for a great, modern sample creating/editing software with a great big useable gui and all the goodies like autosampling, round robins, auto crossovers for loops, etc. Redmatica had all that until Apple bought them and stuffed a fraction of the capability into Mainstage.

EvilDragon wrote:
acYm wrote:about falcon though, am I nuts or are there no modmaps in this thing?
They do exist.
that's note mapping for modulations, it seems? I'm talking about Alchemy and Kontakt style modmaps.

acYm wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
acYm wrote:about falcon though, am I nuts or are there no modmaps in this thing?
They do exist.
that's note mapping for modulations, it seems? I'm talking about Alchemy and Kontakt style modmaps.
I'm pretty sure that what EvilDragon pointed is the curve applied to the modulation signal.

right. I found it, got mixed up by the keyboard graph, there's another tab, not shown in the image, for the Mapper Editor as they call it. turns out it's actually very thorough, more so than the others. impressive stuff. well, judging from this, definitely not not a great sampler.

Next version will feature a Zoom to start/end/loop start/loop end in the wave editor right click menu.

Try OpenGL rendering for smoother UI especially if you use a retina display.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

delete
Last edited by maximoog on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

delete
Last edited by maximoog on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

delete
Last edited by maximoog on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”