Feedback - MOTU MIDI Express XT

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
About to invest in a MOTU MIDI Express XT for my midi patchbay to replace a troublesome to say the least, MIO10 unit. Just seeing if anyone's had any bad experiences with this particular unit on Windows 10 so I don't run into any issues..

Thanks
Don't Tech No for an Answer

how are you planning on using it in windows 10? My midi express xt has parallel and serial ports so hookup might be very problematic.
I understand that there are parallel/serial to usb gender changers but don't know how well they work and interface .

had to get a midi express 128 (USB interface) and they work well.

thanks for that - the unit I'm getting is this one;

MOTU MIDI Express XT 8x8 USB MIDI Interface

https://www.storedj.com.au/motu-midi-ex ... -interface

I have had one for the past year or so. I bought it used off of Reverb, and it was in very good condition. I have run it successfully under Windows 10 with very little issue. I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Make sure you update the firmware (if applicable) on the unit when you get it. The Clockworks software is seemingly old, but works well.

My ONLY issue is there is a repeatable crash when I "rename" one of the routings. Clockworks crashes, but the change is saved.

Outside of that, no issues at all under multiple flavors of Windows 10. Currently running 1703.

emcee wrote:About to invest in a MOTU MIDI Express XT for my midi patchbay to replace a troublesome to say the least, MIO10 unit.
Hi emcee. I was recently reading about the current crop of midi interfaces / patchbays and the MIO10 looked pretty good and I saw a few positive user reviews.

Would you mind describing details of what you don't like about the MIO10? I probably won't be buying any multi-port interface for awhile but am curious about them.

I personally wouldn't be fearful of getting a MIDI Express XT or MIDI Express 128. Had good luck with MOTU hardware. The MIO10 just looked a little better "in theory" but dunno about in practice.

I think maybe if the MIO10 has issues, if I can't stand it anymore would get a MOTU 128. The 128 is completely useless as a standalone router/mapper, but less expensive than the XT and (for my purposes) has equivalent capability as an 8 x 8 port midi interface. The 128 would only be useful with the computer running, not standalone. But with the computer running the 128 would work about as good as the XT for sequencing and routing/mapping via computer software.

In an earlier thread, I wished MOTU still made a modern USB2 equivalent of the old MIDI TIme Piece II or MIDI TIme Piece AV. Those had as many / more features than the XT, and you could program most features from the front panel in addition to programming with a computer editor. I mean, once the computer is running then just a dumb 8 X 8 interface is fine because the DAW can do all the routing. Kind of a bummer to have a "standalone capable" interface but the only way to edit it is with the computer! :)

However, so far as I know the only current-for-sale 8+ port midi patchers that can work with the computer turned off are the MIO and the XT. Limited choices.

The MIO10 for the most part is a good unit. From a build and hardware level it's solid, reliable and looks impressive. Unfortunately though let down by poor software, and poor support.
As you touched on, it said clearly in the marketing that it works without a computer. Well, yes it does - but so did my 8Port-SE back in 1994. If you need to change anything, even basic routing, you need a computer or an iphone/ipad. And that's where their crap software came in to play - it hung. It took up to 10 seconds for something as simple as to change a route like Midi In Port 1 to Midi Out Port 2 (from Midi out port 3). One of my use cases was playing live, and wanting for one tune to say, have my Novation SLII 61 play direct to the Integra-7, then the next to the Receptor 2. I was kind of spoilt with my old Edirol UM-880 that it had buttons on the front to do this on the fly, but it lacked full Windows 10 support so sold it to fund the MIO.

That's where the MOTU looks good - It has buttons for presets so if I want to do a gig without lugging a laptop around I can set up a few presets and reach over and tap once (or twice) and bingo. Then when I get back home and want to do studio stuff, hook it up to the PC and DAW and do my composing stuff.

I also had issues with iConnectivity support closing the majority of my support requests without resolution. The final kicker for me was when I had to upgrade my PC a few months ago, and decided to go Ryzen platform. Everything else worked, but the MIO10 would just hang. As if it wasn't plugged in. Plugged the unit into my Macbook and it worked. Ok - a bit of a tricky support request, and not completely the MIO10's fault, but to cut to the chase, it fell into their too hard basket, and the ticket was closed with "we only support Intel and AMD processors".. huh? After many heated emails they finally conceded and agreed to give me a full refund which is why I'm here now.. looking at a solid alternative that just works..

Thanks for the good info, emcee!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”