what strange things do each of the major daws miss that others have?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kalamata Kid wrote: Modular environment such as in Bidule https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/ where can load plugins and connect them with a virtual cable. Perhaps am using the wrong terminology?

See image of Waveform modular environment:
viewtopic.php?p=6755026

If Reaper has something similar send link. If not I wish they get that and ARA soon!
The virtual cables are invisible but you can certainly do the same type of routing, save, and load it. Is your definition based on appearances or what it actually accomplishes? If the latter, then it's been possible for a very long time. I don't know what kind of link to send you. Tell me what processing it's supposed to accomplish and I can send you a track template.

I do use Waveform but as I have been using Reaper longer accomplish the same results much faster. I think with the same amount of experience it would be a wash, time-wise.

You can build a "peak filter" easily in Live, just Rack an Auto Filter set to Bandpass on a chain (that will add the "peak"), then create a parallel empty chain to pass the original unaltered audio, then you have the same mixed end result of an Peak filter boosting a frequency.

Then you can add a Limiter after that, for taming peaks and safety (since it seems NI's uses a limiter to compress the peaks), and maybe Rack it all in another Rack, for easy saving as a preset.

(NI's has a Dry/Wet, several ways of adding that to a Rack, easiest is just turning the "Peak" Chain's volume up and down.)

Kalamata Kid wrote:When did Bitwiig add the Modular environment that can host VST fx and VSTi?
Let me know and I will gladly revise my list. SI has Multi-Instruments as of v3.
Obviously you can use VST instruments & FX in Bitwig and modulate any of their parameters or output with its universal modulation system!

What Studio One 3.5 has in Multi Instruments is just the basic ability to play several instruments using the same MIDI notes, which is trivial and e.g. Live had this for decades as Instrument Racks. In Bitwig - which can obviously do that via Instrument & FX Layers as well - you can actually route your MIDI data and audio signals freely around the project, filter and alter them, have them modulating something else, etc.

Just take a look at this video, where the guy has one clip playing several instruments and generating notes out of chord:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKBr2gT3nE

Or this one, where he actually created a synth out of nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GL-4YTz1xg

Or here, where he created a device that produces chords:

https://youtu.be/ndb339l81pU

I really think you a) have no idea about what other DAWs have, b) have your terminology completely mixed up: if you're looking for an example of modular thinking in Studio One, the Extended FX Chains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbotUJlsdvI

would be a much better fit, although still really limited by comparison to Bitwig.
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

yepp MIDI triggering is definitely quite fun in BWS :D >> headphone pls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBl_d2mvsk
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

yellowmix wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote: Modular environment such as in Bidule https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/ where can load plugins and connect them with a virtual cable. Perhaps am using the wrong terminology?

See image of Waveform modular environment:
viewtopic.php?p=6755026

If Reaper has something similar send link. If not I wish they get that and ARA soon!
The virtual cables are invisible but you can certainly do the same type of routing, save, and load it. Is your definition based on appearances or what it actually accomplishes? If the latter, then it's been possible for a very long time. I don't know what kind of link to send you. Tell me what processing it's supposed to accomplish and I can send you a track template.

I do use Waveform but as I have been using Reaper longer accomplish the same results much faster. I think with the same amount of experience it would be a wash, time-wise.
I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.

Kalamata Kid wrote:I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.
That's hilarious. You can't decide that something isn't "modular" because it doesn't have visible cables... Do those cables need to swing when you scroll the screen as well? Because that'd further limit your list of "true modular" DAWs... :D
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:I prefer to use a modular environment and see the virtual cables when things get complicated or am experimenting. In a simple setup I do not use Patcher or Muti-instuments or Bidule.
That's hilarious. You can't decide that something isn't "modular" because it doesn't have visible cables... Do those cables need to swing when you scroll the screen as well? Because that'd further limit your list of "true modular" DAWs... :D
First, thanks you for the earlier lengthy post.

Please take this as a friendly criticism. Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position. Usually when I use the term modular environment I usually add "as in Bidule" to give clarity to the term and distinguish it for the others. This time I omitted Bidule but from my list on might understand what I meant by modular environment. Granted I could have have written modular environment with visible cables connecting the modules as in Bidule, Metaplugin and Mux.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
antic604 wrote:Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position.
Answer: This is a forum (specifically KVR) where 2 + 2 = imilionty (or whatever anyone wants)

Anyways, I think visuals are rad. If I don't have them, that's fine too. All I care is that is works :)

Okay, if workflow is the metric you're going by then many DAWs would qualify as "modular". Honestly, it's an overly broad term and you're probably better served by deconstructing it to specific abilities with regards to routing audio and/or MIDI data with multiple ins/outs and what kind of control the user has over modulating them, if there is feedback routing, candy GUI, etc..

Kalamata Kid wrote:First, thanks you for the earlier lengthy post.

Please take this as a friendly criticism. Instead of negative why not be positive and offer a term that will more correctly describes my position. Usually when I use the term modular environment I usually add "as in Bidule" to give clarity to the term and distinguish it for the others. This time I omitted Bidule but from my list on might understand what I meant by modular environment. Granted I could have have written modular environment with visible cables connecting the modules as in Bidule, Metaplugin and Mux.
Yeah, sorry for that :) I don't think there's specific term for "modular with cables" so let's just end there. What actually triggered my response was the fact, that you've listed a lot of DAWs and authoritatively grouped them by a feature you labelled wrong. Whereas what the OP was asking for was this:
apondinthestream wrote:What does your DAW not have that you wished it did have - particularly things that are common in other DAWs?
I totally get his point! When I was purchasing Live 9 in Jan '17 I was convinced it has alias / ghost clips, since it's the go-to DAW for 'repetitive', loop-based electronic music. I've not even checked this, because it was - for me - obvious it has this feature. Imagine my shock when I learned that it doesn't, whereas all the traditional, tape-recording inspired DAWs like Cubase, Logic or Studio One have this!

So, the OP was asking exactly this - which feature, that you'd think is obvious to have in a DAW in 2017, your DAW doesn't have. Full modular environment (with cables or not) is not such a thing, because it's unique to selected few DAWs and it's among the top things always mentioned and underlined in promotional materials, reviews, etc. Almost every DAW on the market has its own 'specialty': Cubase has global chord track and unparalleled MIDI editing, Reason has the rack and cables, Live has Session View and Push, Bitwig has universal modulation system, FL Studio has patterns and ...lifetime free updates, Reaper is flexible and malleable, Pro Tools is the professional studio standard, etc. I don't think OP was asking for those things, because they're hard to miss when one is looking for new DAW - they're their selling point, the "marquee feature" so to speak.

So let's focus on this, instead of trying to list and compare several DAWs we might not know very well with respect to the features we don't know much about either.
Music tech enthusiast

just mention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q6p5ODYbsY

"Live has Session View and Push" and M4L :roll:
--
"FL Studio has patterns and" the constant developer presence on their forum is a lovely thing, makes really good to the atmosphere if a user can get help directly from the "developers" in no time
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Cubase devs haven't participate their forum yet?

Chase midi notes in live and bws.
Reaper,Cubase, studio one, fl....have this important feature.
sample accurate automation is missing in a lot off daw too( with daw native plugin) reaper have it, live too i think.

Okay I've got a weird one.

Studio One: no classic repitch for audio items.

That is, drop in an audio clip on the timeline, you can't repitch it in the most traditional sampler/"tape" manner, where the audio data is merely played back at a different speed, resampled to the output rate (pitch down + slower, pitch up + faster). You can only repitch through a more destructive stretching and pitching algo.

kokotte wrote:Chase midi notes in live and bws.
Reaper,Cubase, studio one, fl....have this important feature.
sample accurate automation is missing in a lot off daw too( with daw native plugin) reaper have it, live too i think.
+1
It is so annoying. As far as I know FL can do it at the version released in 2011...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”