Do I need Kontakt?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I've started experimenting with samples in my music making (ambient/downtempo). So far I use exs24 (plain and simple, nasty gui), Alchemy (fantastic built-in effects) and tx16wx (inexpensive, I like its workflow). I don't use commercial libraries, only my own samples, which I layer and mangle with filters and effects.
So, the question is: do I need Kontakt? Does it offer some unique features for my needs? Are there any alternatives to consider?
Regards,
Adam

Probably not. Kontakt is good for multitude of third party goodies, not necessary 'libraries'. If you want to build stuff yourself, it's great, but you need to learn scripting, which is... not for everyone. You might rather need Reaktor.

have you tried hise
is kinda similar to kontakt in which you can make your own skin

http://hise.audio/
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

HALion is now a "proper" sampler.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/v ... alion.html
HALion is the most comprehensive virtual sampling and sound design system available today and excels the present creative process for producers and sound designers in all areas.

It covers the complete creative workflow from recording and sample editing to programming advanced synthesis and modulation setups. With HALion, create customized user interfaces and export ready-to-release instrument libraries with every step streamlined to the greatest extent.

The powerful set of oscillators for seamless sample playback as well as the next-generation synthesis make HALion a versatile creative tool in simply every situation. Its broad library includes thousands of high-class and deep-sampled instruments and cutting-edge synthesizer sounds for all kinds of musical genres.

I never use Kontakt as a sampler.

I only ever use it for its third-party instruments, which can be quite fantastic.

So in your case, no, you really don't. But I do recommend looking into the various third-party instruments made for it, because you might find something really great and useful for your work.

TAL Sampler. It will do most of what you want.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

For your genre I would have thought you would be better off with Falcon (on sale at the moment). You say you're not interested in commercial libraries so you can do without Kontakt's vast market in these and concentrate on manipulating your own. Falcon beats Kontakt hands down in this (IMHO).

Thank you for all replies. I guess I will stick to what I have (exs24 for plain sample playback and Alchemy for mangling).

I've tried TAL, but is does not offer anything more than I can do now (exs24/Alchemy + D16 Decimort2).

Halion and Falcon look great, but these are quite expensive (even when on sale). Also, Falcon requires iLok (a huge no-no for me). Also, they are somewhat similar to Alchemy, for which I think I explored only a tiny fragment of its capacities. But I will put them on my future list.

Hise requires to much work. I'd rather use spend this time on learning Reaktor/SC/Csound.

As you have used and like TX16Wx, what further needs do you have?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:As you have used and like TX16Wx, what further needs do you have?
More effects, for example. I've seen some Kontakt tutorials and found that there are many built-in effects that TX16Wx is lacking. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined towards getting Kontakt in the future. Alchemy is great for mangling samples, but I think that for creating complex sampled instruments Kontakt might be better for me.

Just get Kontakt Player and try it out, it will give you the best answer.

AdamWysokinski wrote:Hi,
I've started experimenting with samples in my music making (ambient/downtempo). So far I use exs24 (plain and simple, nasty gui), Alchemy (fantastic built-in effects) and tx16wx (inexpensive, I like its workflow). I don't use commercial libraries, only my own samples, which I layer and mangle with filters and effects.
So, the question is: do I need Kontakt? Does it offer some unique features for my needs? Are there any alternatives to consider?
Regards,
Adam
If you're looking for reasons to buy it you probably don't need it.

Kontakt is good for the pre-made libraries, as a mangling tool there's a lot better elsewhere (Falcon for instance, which is complex yet intuitive).

IMHO you should take a long, hard look at Falcon, not Kontakt. Falcon's effects are better than Kontakt's and there's more of them, and modulation is crazy good, much better than Kontakt's. It's a sound designer's wet dream.

I've seen Falcon only on YouTube previews and tutorials, impressive indeed. Wish there was a demo.. Meanwhile I think I'll stick to Alchemy, which is, to a certain degree, similar (although probably not as complex) to Falcon.

You'll love it, it's a way of life
(Kontakt)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”