Questions/suggestions for Evolution Rock Standard

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Love the new Evolution Rock Standard library, but is there a way one can choose the "middle" pickup position on the library? Mine only seems to go to bridge-only or neck-only.

Also, will there in the future be a tone control feature for the Evolution electric guitar libraries, or do I need to use the EQ in some way?!

We actually sampled the entire guitar twice, for the bridge pickup sound and the neck pickup sound. If I remember correctly, we recorded the Les Paul right around the time we recorded Evolution Dracus. For Dracus, I rewired the guitar to have a stereo output jack, with the bridge signal in the left channel and the neck signal in the right. Rewiring the Les Paul wasn't really an option (we were sampling a guitarist with his own Les Paul), which is why we sampled the guitar twice instead.

Since then, we now tap into the pickup signals directly to record both signals simultaneously, which is what enables you to set the blend between the pickups. This is a much less intrusive process, and doesn't require rewiring the guitar.

Tone knobs are basically just a high frequency roll-off, so if you want to get that sound, you can use the EQ module in the effects section. Would you find it useful to have a dedicated tone roll-off setting?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

It would be a little more useful to have that separate tone control feature from the EQ, actually, though setting the EQ's Gain control at a 90-degree angle and adjusting the Frequency control produces a similar effect. The gain and tone control functions Ilya Efimov Productions uses, for one example, for his LP and TC libraries are easy to use and get access to, though I don't know to what extent he goes through to model that effect. ;) :)

As I'm not a very technical person, I'm not sure what process I must use to get that dual pickup sound with Evolution Rock Standard. Do I simply have two ERS's running in the same window, one set to Bridge and the other Neck. or is there an easier way to do it? :)

Because they were recorded in separate sessions, if you mix the bridge and neck samples together, you'll get phasing/chorusing. Your best bet would be to use EQ on either the bridge or neck pickup to emulate the sound of bridge+neck. For example, using a modeling EQ (Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 can do this, and I'm sure there are other EQs that can do this as well) to imitate the sound of the other pickup signal, and then back it off 50%. It's not quite the same, since there are timbral differences, but hopefully that gets you close enough.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”