Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Dune 2 was in my shopping list (although too many synths, anyway), but this will cut in. If something could wish, in the next bigger update focus on even deeper sub-basses, on the other hand option for creating more edge for addictive lead sounds.

wagtunes wrote:For the official record, and just so you know, posting sound examples in this forum has been okay'd by the moderators. So if you have a problem with it, it's YOUR problem.
Ok thanks for the info. No, problem is something else.

Looking forward to testing the update.

sches wrote: In the meanwhile, I have collected all the reports and ready to release the first 1.0.1 update which addresses the most annoying issues.
Wow, that was fast. Thanks.

What an impressive looking update from a very responsive developer. :tu: :hail:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

aMUSEd wrote:More Thornography pls
You win the Internet for the day....... :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:What an impressive looking update from a very responsive developer. :tu: :hail:
Couldn't agree more :clap:

oi! nice update.

recursive one wrote:
Robmobius wrote:As a Diversion fan I pretty much picked this synth up instantly... I think Thorn is fantastic and very inspiring to use.
Another Diversion fan here.

Still trying to figure how much Thorn would add to Diversion sonically. Thorn has some usefull stuff like the harmonic filter, the glitch sequencer and that "boost" thing but they seem to be quite similar in the overall sound character. I will probably end up with buing Thorn before the intro price ends anyway... Maybe just to discover that I was already able to do 80% of Thorn in Diversion :?
Thorn's big plus for me is that it's not as CPU heavy as Diversion. If that helps with the decision. Or makes it even more difficult. :D

This might be one of my favorite synths of the year now that I can actually see what I'm doing. The FX are superb and that's rare for most synths, IMO. Can't quite put my finger on it but there seems to be some dirt to the sound. It's not one of those clean colorless synths that have no real character. I'm finding you can make this thing sound downright ugly if you're not careful. That's a good thing, contrary to synths that you have to bring external FX in just to get some character out of them.

On 1280x1024 resolution, intermediate screen size at 95% is absolutely perfect. Fills up the whole screen and everything is crystal clear to read.

I don't own Diversion so I can't compare the two but I can't imagine it being better than this thing.

Great job Dmitry!

great update thank you so much!!

Having a great time playing with this one. Looked pretty innocuous at first glance, but harbours so many interesting, easily-accessible twists and turns.... I still like Diversion a lot, but programming it is a bit of a chore and was never fun for me. Thorn is FUN! The sequencer is a stroke of genius, and the FX are their usual brilliant selves. With one exception: as in Tantra, I find the distortion module a bit too obvious - just switching it on colours the sound. I wish it were a bit more subtle, but hey. Sounds good, and that's what matters.

As ever, Dmitry is a class act. Fantastic (and quick) update! 8)

Please add mousewheel adjustments to Diversion and Tantra next. Feels good man :love: :pray:

After a quick demo I think this thing packs a lot of punch for the money. Nice interface design and very clear now it can be resized to personal taste. Appears to be reasonably straightforward to program and capable of a wide variety of sounds. Also like the easy-to-use and flexible FX and the glitch thing is a fun extra.

Hard to fault at the intro price! Nice work Dmitry!

For those who also own Diversion, we can save Osc files in Diversion and Load them in Thorn. (Don't know if that's mentioned in the manual). :)

I'm also able to load some of the Adventure Kid Waveforms....

bring it on!

v1.0.1 - Pitch of Noise oscillator still cant adjust finely

Return to “Instruments”