Can you recommend a music forum?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will check these. Thanks.

You will gain much more progress, knowledge and inspiration by choosing a specified path rather than a generalized one.

First define your goals. What do you want to do most acquire, record, perform, analyze, compose? Remove those things that are 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on the list. Next focus on a style.

Never confuse theory with ability. Or think that one trumps the other. If you don't have the ability to apply a theory then you'll never be able to internalize it. If all you can do is mimic the performance of others you'll never develop your own "style"

Subscribing to one or two youtube channels will do more for you than joining another forum. And while you may be in awe of a yt teacher it may as well as fall on deaf ears if you fail to apply what they are teaching you. It's not about you think you can do it. It's more about you did it. Organize your time. set aside time at a specific point where you aren't going to jump off to another video or run to fb. Allow the information to settle. Set aside time where you will go through and repeat the processes you were trying to learn. Make the daily effort.

This is the difference between RL learning and passive entertainment. I've had a few good teachers IRL who would prod me. The lesson started with proof I learned the last lesson before moving on to the next. If you can't be bothered to apply yourself then you'll never get any better. You may as well watch a documentary about something that interests you but you'll forget in a week. Very few have what it takes to push themselves to where they want to be. Most of us need encouragement to get there.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

KVR is all fora and all fora is KVR. It's people with opinions that have to share, sometimes they are informative, sometimes less so.

Mike's right, if the idea is learning, KVR et al is such mixed fare it's diffuse; focus, draw boundaries and see if you can bypass some of the noise.

As far as 'theory' and 'application', theory before you have experience with music and, well, apart from it is not doing anything. You have to apply it; you can ape your favorites, pick as much as you can directly off of/copy the recording but delve into it, focus on that 'style' or what-have-you and what you want is to develop your own modi operandi; you find that this 'technique' or move works the same way consistently for a style, and now you have 'music theory' at work. THEN when you delve into more codified, elaborated theory such as in a course study, you are working it, not merely bouncing off the surface of it. This [absence of concrete application] is why people get the idea that this or the other area of 'theory' is boring. It is boring, except when you see it work.

Return to “Music Theory”