Switching between Keyboard sounds and VIP Receptor VSTs

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got myself a Crumar Mojo 61 keyboard. I guess this would apply to any keyboard with it's own internal sounds. In a live situation, is it possible to switch between keyboard patches and then on the fly switch the same keyboard to control the VIP Receptor VSTs? It was suggested that a mixer may be part of the solution but the rep from Guitar Center didn't elaborate. I would appreciate if anyone can give me a hand with this.

Thank You

It looks like our forum doesn't have an answer to my question. If I'm able to get an answer from other sources, I'll be sure to post it here.
Thanks.

One thought came to mind...If I was to plug in my keyboard to the front input of the VIP Receptor as well as connect the usb cable to the Receptor, would I be able to accomplish my goal. I guess I'll try that out tonight.

Hello
just connect both of the audio outputs to a mixer.
For the midi connect the midi out of the mojo to the midi in of the vip.
Set the vip to recieve on midi ch 1 for if you only want to use i keyboard for the vip or set it to recieve on ch 1 and ch 2 if you want to use both the mo jo keyboards ( dont forget to set the mojo to send on ch 1 and 2)
the older mix mode on the vip is ok for this rack mode eill proberbly be ok to.
To toggle between your mojo and vp you can either use the mixer.or simply lower the vol on either the vip or the mojo depending on what instrument you want.
i am not familiar with the mojos midi spec so i dont knowe if it has master kryboard functions if it has you could use the vips midi learn function to change patches and vilumes etc.

Regards Andy

Thank you Andy! I really appreciate it. Looks good. I'm going to give it a try. Again, my goal is to use my Mojo 61 to control the VIP and switch between the internal sounds of the same Mojo. I'll let you know how everything works out :-).

Thanks again

Andy,

In regards to the mixer, I guessing a 2 channel mixer would be fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi
mixers arent that expensive nowadays!
Buy A good quality soundcraft 6-8 chanells .
You will need 4 chanels for your vip and mojo if you want to run them in stereo.Its allways good to have a couple of chanells spare on a mixer you may want to expand later or plug in a mic or something.
Good luck
Andy

Hey Andy,

As I have a T3io, I've never used the onboard sound card. Is it possible to run the L/R outs of the Crumar to the Ins of the Receptor? I don't know what software version he's running but both Rack and the earlier Mixer mode... well, are a mixer. I use a KMI Quneo as sliders for the volume levels for each channel.
Again, as a T3io user I have, and use all, 8 inputs of the accompanying Presonus1818. However I still use many channels of VSTs. I believe, musicmanstan, that you can choose the input of your sound card for one channel and leave it empty, insert an EQ, limiter, or any VST and will be able to fade between that channel or any other VSTi's that are installed on your Receptor.
I just don't know the Crumar and whether it can send MIDI CC's or not. Again, I love the KMI Quneo as it's indestructible, packable, small, and extremely versatile.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Thanks Andy!

That's some sound advice. Soundcraft is a quality product.

Fishoow,

Thanks for your input. I'm not familiar with T3io. I did a search and didn't find anything. I did find info on the KMI Quneo. You lost me at "I believe, musicmanstan, that you can choose the input of your sound card for one channel and leave it empty, insert an EQ, limiter, or any VST and will be able to fade between that channel or any other VSTi's that are installed on your Receptor." Can you please elaborate?

Well I have some good news...

As suggested by Andy, I bought a small mixer and hooked up my Mojo 61 and VIP receptor and and it worked perfectly. I used the channel volumes to switch between each sound source. Even better the standard midi assignments, ex. volume and octave switch on my Mojo were working without me having to mess around with the midi assignments. After a days rest, I woke up thinking about connecting my Morley "A & B" switch and see if it would work with my setup. Success! I didn't need the mixer afterall (but needed one for other music stuff). It works perfectly. Just a tap of the Morley button and I can quickly switch between my Mojo and VIP.

A side note...

I was getting hissing sound from my amp and solved that by connecting the out from my Morley switch to the IN of my Live direct box and XLR out to my amp. Hissing is gone!. I've never had such a clean sound.

Thanks for your help!!

Sorry. Since I bought my Receptor Trio I felt sidelined by the cool way that Muse spelled "Qu4tro". Since I've had it I've been spelling it Tr3o.

Of course all receptors are programable from the LED screen, but setting things up with a connected screen monitor will speed things along for this.
In either software version, whether the older mixer-style view or the later rack version it is possible to set up multiple tracks within the Receptor. My Trio came bundled with a Presonus VSL1818 USB interface. This bypasses the internal sound card that comes in every Receptor.

It should be possible, though I have not seen how the VIP, R2, R2+ interact with the 1/4" inputs, to have audio come in through those connections, apply those input channels to a virtual channel within the GUI and then route to the main output (in stereo). In the older mixer version you can insert three effects per channel. In the newer just one. Either way, if you need some kind of EQ, compression, verb or special effect you can layer that in or just have the signal be totally dry. To bypass the added VST effect you can map a MIDI CC to the trigger.
Also, and this is dependent on the MIDI capabilities of you keyboard, you should be able to MIDI map your keyboard to play other virtual instruments loaded into other channels simultaneously. To punch them in or out, again, would be mapping a MIDI CC message to toggle the mute for each channel.
Last edited by Fishoow on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Fishoow,

The Morley A/B switch pretty much accomplishes what I need. Like I mentioned in my previous post, my Mojo is already set up perfectly with the basic Midi assignments in place. It's a simple setup. Thankfully I didn't have to mess around with mapping Midi CC messages. Just hit the switch and I'm toggling between my Mojo and my VIP. It's just a matter of setting up my list of VSTs in live mode.

Thanks for the input Fishoow :-)

musicmanstan wrote:Thanks for the input Fishoow :-)
:tu:
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Fishoow wrote:Sorry. Since I bought my Receptor Trio I felt sidelined by the cool way that Muse spelled "Qu4tro". Since I've had it I've been spelling it Tr3o.

Of course all receptors are programable from the LED screen, but setting things up with a connected screen monitor will speed things along for this.
In either software version, whether the older mixer-style view or the later rack version it is possible to set up multiple tracks within the Receptor. My Trio came bundled with a Presonus VSL1818 USB interface. This bypasses the internal sound card that comes in every Receptor.

It should be possible, though I have not seen how the VIP, R2, R2+ interact with the 1/4" inputs, to have audio come in through those connections, apply those input channels to a virtual channel within the GUI and then route to the main output (in stereo). In the older mixer version you can insert three effects per channel; in the newer, just one. Either way, if you need some kind of EQ, compression, verb or special effect you can layer that in or just have the signal be totally dry. To bypass the added VST effect you can map a MIDI CC to the trigger.
Also, and this is dependent on the MIDI capabilities of you keyboard, you should be able to MIDI map your keyboard to play other virtual instruments loaded into other channels simultaneously. To punch them in or out, again, would be mapping a MIDI CC message to toggle the mute for each channel.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”