Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
Den*
KVRist

262 posts since 7 Apr, 2015

Postby Den*; Tue May 24, 2016 10:06 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Naenyn wrote:Found this plugin while reading an article over on Synthtopia yesterday. Given my proclivity for exciters lately, I immediately tried it. It is pretty nice! :tu:

Anyone else tried it? What do you think?

Thanks for the link. This is really nice.
Lesha
KVRian

1215 posts since 17 Feb, 2005, from Serbia

Postby Lesha; Tue May 24, 2016 11:21 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.
There is no harmonic excitement at all, just a pretty clean transparent signal, so the name is misleading IMO.

https://imgur.com/a/3LcxG
It's easy if you know how
Den*
KVRist

262 posts since 7 Apr, 2015

Postby Den*; Wed May 25, 2016 1:39 am Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

lesha wrote:I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.
There is no harmonic excitement at all, just a pretty clean transparent signal, so the name is misleading IMO.

It depends how you define word exciter...

Perhaps the first real enhancer was the equaliser, a device that works by cutting or boosting a part of the audio spectrum to alter the overall spectral balance. EQ can help brighten sounds or change the relative balance of the bass and mid-range, but it can only work with what's already there -- if the frequencies you want to hear never existed in the first place, no amount of EQ will bring them out.

more: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... iters.html

Also maker of this plugin doesn't state "Aural Exciter" or "Phase Exciter" or "Dynamic Exciter" Harmonic, e.t.c.
Just plain simple "Exciter".

However..
Lesha
KVRian

1215 posts since 17 Feb, 2005, from Serbia

Postby Lesha; Wed May 25, 2016 1:54 am Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

It's easy if you know how
jens
KVRAF

18451 posts since 12 Jul, 2003, from West Caprazumia

Postby jens; Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

lesha wrote:I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's priceless - especially considering all the praise this thing received from the experts here in the thread. :-o
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey
Spitfire31
KVRAF

2650 posts since 18 May, 2003, from Sweden

Postby Spitfire31; Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Den* wrote:

It depends how you define word exciter...

Not really. 'Exciter' in this sense doesn't infer that you or the listener feel excited by the processing. ;-) It means that frequencies in the original material 'excite' = 'stimulate the creation of' 2nd and 3rd (and maybe more) harmonics.

So, to call a set of shelf filters 'Exciter' is, in fact, misleading since it infers something else than EQ.

That said, La Petite does sound quite good to my ears…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!
Autobot
KVRist

464 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Postby Autobot; Thu May 26, 2016 1:37 am Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Call me wrong but isn't the vst-analyzer using a static testone? I mean can it show you how a vst reacts with dynamic content?
Just want to clarify things. Maybe the exciter is somehow coupled to the dynamic. At afternoon I will try this plugin myself and will report my experience.

Cheers
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers
jens
KVRAF

18451 posts since 12 Jul, 2003, from West Caprazumia

Postby jens; Thu May 26, 2016 2:04 am Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

What do you mean? Doesn't the testtone peak at 0dB? Sure, the generation of harmonics could react dynamically on the program material, but if this is already at 0dB and there aren't any overtones, then from what signal level upwards would you expect overtones to be created? +10dB? :lol:
" It is a measurable fact. Not my opinion. And not even subtle. If you can't hear difference in tail between Valhalla and VSR reverb tail then again change your job dude." kmonkey
Bouroki
KVRist

112 posts since 16 Jun, 2013, from Morocco

Postby Bouroki; Thu May 26, 2016 2:52 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh
Zexila
KVRAF

1995 posts since 17 Mar, 2008

Postby Zexila; Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Bouroki wrote:If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh

Remember when Focusrite released same plugins all over again? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=430345
Gearslutz is simply a far more expensive version of people arguing about nonsense. Incubus
FineCutBodies
KVRer

19 posts since 22 Jun, 2004, from Los Angeles, California

Postby FineCutBodies; Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:28 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Bouroki wrote:If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh

after reading this thread, my friend almost killed me ;)

On a more serious note as some people in this thread pointed out not every exciter is using harmonic exciting and using VST analyzer sometimes can be misleading. So if someone defines exciter as a harmonic distortion device, then it is not an exciter, though I don't agree on that definition. This one uses some phase manipulation and dynamic equalization and based on the schematic of a classic 90s hardware. Lubomir Ivanov was the clever guy who transcribed from schematics as it is stated in the plugin info. I've ported his algorithm to C++ and although it's not a super complex algorithm, it's not a simple shelving EQ.

Hope this will defend me from my Ambrus' vendetta!!!!!!!!
Russell Grand
KVRian

545 posts since 22 May, 2017

Postby Russell Grand; Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?
FineCutBodies
KVRer

19 posts since 22 Jun, 2004, from Los Angeles, California

Postby FineCutBodies; Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:34 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

Russell Grand wrote:Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?

There is a couple of creative effects in the works, but I've been distracted by developing plugins for other companies and scoring some films. Hope I can get them out early next year!
Russell Grand
KVRian

545 posts since 22 May, 2017

Postby Russell Grand; Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm Re: Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

FineCutBodies wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?

There is a couple of creative effects in the works, but I've been distracted by developing plugins for other companies and scoring some films. Hope I can get them out early next year!

Nice! :tu:
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects