Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

iZotope Iris 2

atya
KVRist

155 posts since 17 Sep, 2014, from LPGC

Postby atya; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

Caine123 wrote:

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.

In Reaper you can externally modulate and automate basically any parameter to your hearts desire - maybe not quite as easy and quick as via internal modulators but it just take a couple more seconds and works like a charm .
I have no idea what the OP (Simon?!) meant by 'useable' but I've been modulating the delay times with the built-in LFOs more often than not and they do the trick for me. YMMV.

Nuff for now.
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF

4749 posts since 9 Dec, 2008, from Berlin

Postby ThomasHelzle; Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

Well, I find the logarithmic scaling of certain values extremely annoying as I wrote before, since making sensible modulations adjustments is close to impossible that way. I personally count that as a bug since it's just plain wrong.

The whole Iris 1 preset situation is frustrating and doesn't reflect well on izotope. I personally simply lost my trust in the company through the Iris 2 experience and even though they have some very interesting tools, I don't plan to invest in them since they seem to be too erratic for my taste in their business practices.

I use Iris 2 way less than I hoped because of all those issues already mentioned.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there."
Rumi

ScreenDream | Thomas Helzle
Sampleconstruct
KVRAF

13360 posts since 12 Oct, 2008, from Here and there

Postby Sampleconstruct; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:23 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

Caine123 wrote:this is the BUG list from Sampleconstruct! any more additions?

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

One more omission is:
*Modulation amount via velocity can not be modulated in Iris 2, so it’s either on or off.

In version 1 we have minimum and maximum modulation levels which can easily be assigned by right clicking on any parameter which can be modulated, this is missing in version 2 so assigning the max level has to be done by guessing. I enter the values numerically in Iris 2 if I need more exact levels, the graphic representation of min/max mod levels in Iris 2 is...problematic to say the least.
jackmazzotti
KVRist

286 posts since 18 Dec, 2006

Postby jackmazzotti; Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

You need to be able to modulate loop start and end and scrub sample.
Worshiping Jesus Christ with sounds and textures inspired by nature and cutting edge synthesis
http://soundcloud.com/jackmazzotti
http://www.spectrasonics.net/company/ar ... .php?id=22
Caine123
KVRAF

4618 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Postby Caine123; Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

Thx. Will forward those points. I guess it wont change but we can try
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen 18i20 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit
aMUSEd
KVRAF

28123 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:57 pm Re: iZotope Iris 2

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Caine123 wrote:this is the BUG list from Sampleconstruct! any more additions?

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

One more omission is:
*Modulation amount via velocity can not be modulated in Iris 2, so it’s either on or off.

In version 1 we have minimum and maximum modulation levels which can easily be assigned by right clicking on any parameter which can be modulated, this is missing in version 2 so assigning the max level has to be done by guessing. I enter the values numerically in Iris 2 if I need more exact levels, the graphic representation of min/max mod levels in Iris 2 is...problematic to say the least.

This is why I still prefer Iris 1
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments