Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New
mevla
KVRian

624 posts since 3 Nov, 2015

Postby mevla; Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 am HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

Hello,

I understand the concept and it works. Eg. as long as there's an assignment selection chosen the UI will be in assign mode all green. That works. The problem is when there's no assignment to be found. How then to get out of assign mode ?

For instance after clicking on macro (see below) there's no assignment to be seen at all. What I do is restart Biotek, which is very ungraceful and is certainly not the way to go back to normal edit mode.

biotek.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 pm Re: HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

Bump. How do YOU get out of assing mode once entered via a macro ?
Wolfram Franke
KVRer

21 posts since 25 Dec, 2009, from Germany

Postby Wolfram Franke; Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:40 am Re: HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

Hi mevla,

sorry for replying so late. I assume you wonder how to get out of the assign mode of this particular "Macro 004" assignment. The Assign buttons for the Macro parameters are in the Sources 1 and/or Sources 2 pages in the lower third of the UI. There you will find that the A (short for Assignment) button of Macro 004 is highlighted. Click it and you're out of the assign mode.

Some further info: the row in the middle of the UI with the dozen or so assignment buttons is there for quick access to the assignment mode for the most common modulation sources. Additionally, each modulation source has an Assign or A button in its edit section, i.e. the LFOs and envelopes.

But there are even more modulation sources like the Macro controls or those that don't have any settable parameters like Keytrack, Velocity, Release Velocity or Sustain Pedal. All these are assembled in the two pages I've mentioned above called Sources 1 and Sources 2.

Finally, I would like to give you another very important tip, since even some factory sound designers had missed it: you can activate not only one but two assignment buttons at a time. With this you can create modulations that are controlled by a second modulation source, i.e. a typical pitch vibrato controlled by the modulation wheel. For that, just click the Assign button of one of the LFOs, click the MW assign button and adjust the pitch modulation depth in the oscillator common section. This might sound a bit complicated at first, but after an hour of using it you will never want to edit your modulations in a classic matrix.

Best wishes,

Wolfram
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 am Re: HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

Hello !

Thank you very much for the reply on assign mode, as well as the other information. Biotek is a synth that has a special appeal for me. As I started exploring the design of factory sounds I stumbled upon this macro assign mode problem. It turns out to be a simple, if not obvious (!) solution.

I would like to know if there's a way to make our own acktionsample files. Can you say described in general technical terms perhaps how the interaction is made between Biotek and those samples ?

Tschüß !
mevla
KVRian

Postby mevla; Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm Re: HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

I have another question about backtracking to find the elements. In the 'Nocturnal Syntax' patch we find the following 'Arp Formant' :

biotek_ArpFormant.png

How can one find out about what makes this 'Arp Formant' eg. how to backtrack to see what it is about ?

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wolfram Franke
KVRer

21 posts since 25 Dec, 2009, from Germany

Postby Wolfram Franke; Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:24 am Re: HELP: Biotek - how to get out of assign mode ?

Hi melva,

hope my answer helped.

Regarding sample import:
BioTek understands single samples in WAV and AIFF format with arbitrary sample rate and bit depth. It is a good idea if the sample has the root key and a loop defined in the original file, since you can't edit this in BioTek.
It also understands multi samples in EXS (Logic EXS24 sampler) and SoundFont 2 (SF2) format with an arbitrary number of key and velocity zones. However, currently it loads only the first multi sample of a file so it ignores key or controller switches (e.g. for switching between legato and staccato string samples). This is not a real limitation, though, since you can set up key or controller switchtes by creating additional sound layers and setting the Trigger options accordingly.

Backtracking a modulation source:
Currently there is no shortcut to see all the assignments of a *source*, only of a *destination*. So, you must either press the respective Assign button and walk through the various edit pages to see what is modulated or have a look at the modulation matrix. The latter is a good idea since there might be assignments of two sources which you couldn't spot if you had only activated one of the assign buttons.

Best wishes,

Wolfram

Moderator: Tracktion Mods

Return to Tracktion