One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

vitalker wrote:
] Peter:H [ wrote: Speech Samples: Created with Balabolka, Preprocessed with Wavosaur, Imported manually slot by slot into an Thorn-Osc, [...]
bjporter wrote:
*Lastly, do not use/load any custom samples* :tu:
Hi vitalker, good point. But as was pointed out, I have "loaded the samples" into the slots of one of the spectral OSCs, not the noise OSC. Check out the patch I have posted to drop box if you like. It's the patch "eins" (engl. "one"). Have fun and enjoy.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4py4aekcvwq ... eAqTa?dl=0

He he he...A tron choir on extacy...go and grab it!
Play a chord C2 -G2 - C3 - C4, keep the keys pressed for a while and enjoy.
I think you can make this patch go really crazy with a bit more love.

Cheers
] Peter:H [
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I want to have a track similar to the following in OSC#105 https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/the-entropy-clause
give me crazy ambient chills and I give you 5 points...

Has anyone else noticed that the WAV import function in the OSC spectral editor is totally wacked? I attempted to import single-cycle waveforms from, for example, the Adventure Kid pack (I'm not using these in the challenge. I just wanted to see how well it worked). The resulting waveform is nothing close. Every single single-cycle wav I try to import results in a sort of distorted sine wave, no matter what. I viewed the wavs in Audition and Audacity, both of which show me exactly what I expect, but nothing close to what Thorn ends up with. I also tried exporting to various types of wav (8-bit, 16-bit, etc.). All showed the same result.

I emailed Dmitry about it, hoping he can shed some light on this.

Also, in case anyone didn't notice, 1.0.4 fixes the voice-stealing issue where a voice still in sustain is stolen.

It really is tricky with that conversion. I don't yet know, if Thorn will actually first transform loaded waveforms to the length it will then convert into spectral components, or if it only takes a specified number of samples from a loaded waveform and then converts that. It's definitely a little mysterious to me, too.
I didn't do any rigorous testing, yet, but was a bit annoyed by the slightly confusing nature.
One thing I noticed was that only loading a single waveform would work. When I tried loading a folder, only nonsense got loaded. :shrug:

someone was saying the optimal length of each imported wavefile should be 256 samples, and that either side of that, the wave gets distorted upon conversion... i really haven't even imported anything yet myself so i don't know at all. I will start experimenting with these features as soon as I'm finished writing the OSC track, which i'm trying to keep pretty straight up kosher and all that.

Hi there,

here is my entry. I hope it is good enough to catch some likes. I used Reaper as DAW and 11xThorn, 12xReaEQ, 2xReaComp and Softubes Saturation Knob as Plugins.

https://soundcloud.com/ckoehlerberlin/c ... ts-to-ride

Anybody else experience Thorn not loading wavetables (both osc and harmonic filter) when reopening a project? Just about had a heart attack until I figured out what the heck was going on. It preserved the names, so they just needed to be reloaded.

Reaper 5.51 64bit, Windows 7

Mike
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote:Anybody else experience Thorn not loading wavetables (both osc and harmonic filter) when reopening a project?
Yup! Just noticed the same on my last added instance in harmonic filter section only.

Ableton live 9 64bit, win 7
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

No such troubles in MuLab. Though, I've only done one test with harmonic filter and it loads up fine.

Medniex wrote:
TheNeverScene wrote:Anybody else experience Thorn not loading wavetables (both osc and harmonic filter) when reopening a project?
Yup! Just noticed the same on my last added instance in harmonic filter section only.

same here

A little preview from me. :party: Trying to achieve a movie trailer feel. Might end up cheesy but from this piece I'll expand my idea further. :P

[DELETED] (Still available on my SC)
Last edited by Medniex on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

-- deleted --
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote:
kokotte wrote:
Medniex wrote:

same here
Same here for Cubase Pro, content of OSC was gone. Workaround: Please save everything as Preset. The State saving for "online edits" in some DAWs seems to have a bug.

BTW: Is anybody interested in how I have created my "Voice" Patches for https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/kraf ... -drei-vier?
One User pm'ed me and asked. I have tried to explain it... ;-) Please only say yes, if you can cope with a wall of weird text. I'm not going to do a fancy video tutorial.

But, but...don't say yes already now...I have to check out Cubase 9.5 first ;-)
Ho YES !

] Peter:H [ wrote: Same here for Cubase Pro, content of OSC was gone. Workaround: Please save everything as Preset. The State saving for "online edits" in some DAWs seems to have a bug.
Thanks for the workaround. When I opened it up and hit play, I thought "hmmm...I don't remember it sounding this crappy." lol It was a mess. Even the sawtooths weren't sawtooths, just the default sawtooth, which is just a sawtooth :shock:
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Return to “Instruments”