Advice on a new laptop for music production

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsound wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Have a look at laptops by SCAN computers. I've been very happy with my 17" quad-core i7 Win 8.1 system built by them in 2015. I got 3 1TB SSDs & 24GB RAM put into mine ...
Thanks for the info.
How is the support for these laptops?
I've never needed support, but they were helpful and communicative during the ordering and building process.

T-CM11 wrote:
liquidsound wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I use a Thinkpad W540 for my CAD work with W8.1 OS.
I need to get a dedicated laptop for my music production for personal reasons.
I was shopping for a powerful laptop regardless of the operating system because ultimately Windows or Mac allows thousands of musicians to produce their music.
I'm interested in a good quality, sturdy, powerful laptop.
I'm looking at the 2015 MacBook Pro or the Asus Rog G752VS.
Somehow I have a pull for the Mac since I can also instal W10 if I need to.
I'm a little tired with the Windows drivers issues here and there and more.
I used Windows from W98 and I use Mac from the the Mac Se to the first blue iMac
So I'm aware of both world in a way.
I use Live and MuLab so I have no issue either way.
If you hate the Apple OS then your choice it's easier except the overwhelming choices in the PC world.
ASUS seems to be powerful but I read some horrible reviews and so for the Razer, MSI etc.
The good and the bad.
Not fun in buying a laptop lately.
Hopefully some one here will give some good advice
- Get a business laptop, they're made for reliability; e.g. the Thinkpad T-series (Same as the W-series, but without the expensive and unnecessary CAD/3D-rendering graphics card), Dell Latitude/Precision, HP Pro/Elitebook
- Or a "made for pro audio" one... e.g. https://www.adkproaudio.com/music-production-laptops
And whatever you pick, never go below 1920x1080 resolution.

Why is everyone looking at consumer or gaming laptops? :dog:
I'm pretty much sold on the ADK laptops.
These are exactly what I was looking for: quality, configuration, support, local USA, reputation, specialization for music production.
Thanks a lot :tu:
And thanks everyone else with their input.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:I've had very good experiences with MSI laptops for music. I'd consider something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152946
Very nice specs and price. How is the MSI support?
I still have an old ASUS B43J but the ASUS support was... :cry:
I've never had to use MSI support, so have nothing to report. But generally as soon as you need to contact support at all (whether it then be good or bad) things have already taken a decisive downturn.

Richard deHove wrote:
liquidsound wrote:
Richard deHove wrote:I've had very good experiences with MSI laptops for music. I'd consider something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834152946
Very nice specs and price. How is the MSI support?
I still have an old ASUS B43J but the ASUS support was... :cry:
I've never had to use MSI support, so have nothing to report. But generally as soon as you need to contact support at all (whether it then be good or bad) things have already taken a decisive downturn.
My case was not a problem but un upgrade fron XP to W7 and the one of my Thinkpads needed all kinds of drivers and Lenovo could not help.
Not something I want experience again.
ADK seems to have real support and tomorrow I will find out more.
The genius service it's really a luxury :love:

I've been buying HP laptops for years for music use. As long as you get a decent CPU and at least 16 gb of RAM, they are great. Oh. And as long as you don't spill water on them. Yeah. The hard drives are easy to switch out if the one that comes with it is too slow or small. And if you go with one of the 17" models, you can add a second drive very easily.

Also the HP Forum is the best if you want help downgrading OS or upgrading. Someone always seems to know how to get the right driver.

We used to use HP for our CAD business and they were fine, no issues then.
What I'm looking primarily is a Laptop with only the basic OS without the usual additional programs that Always comes with all the commercial brands.
I think MacBooks are kind of immune to this (?) and when I spoke to ADK this is exactly what I'm getting: OS w10, dedicate BIOS and nothing else! :love:
Plus some really dedicated and passionate dudes that are also musicians. 10 minutes with one of them and I know I'm going to be in perfect hands and a heck of a mean machine.

Now.... Should I be still drooling over the 2015 MacBook Pro? Maybe :hihi:
They look terrific :cry: but the future..... :scared:

I'd never buy a laptop for making computer music again!

Just my experience.

liquidsound wrote:What I'm looking primarily is a Laptop with only the basic OS without the usual additional programs that Always comes with all the commercial brands.
I think MacBooks are kind of immune to this (?) and when I spoke to ADK this is exactly what I'm getting: OS w10, dedicate BIOS and nothing else! :love:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”