Cubase 9.5 launch today!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

And by all accounts, there's more goodness to come in a v9.5.10 maintenance update, in just a few weeks time..! Its got lots of bug fixes, apparently...

:tu: :party:
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

VitaminD wrote:Elements gets the 64bit audio engine, automation updates, video engine, halion sonic 3 with some 'flux wavetable synth', and a couple other smaller things.
Love this update! Live Suite with Push 2 is my main DAW, but I always love to have a little taste of Cubase here and there. Both are German's and both have copies (Bitwig and Studio One < inspiring one another :D ) With my plugin collection the elements is perfect, don't need most of the additional synths and fxs, especially since I'm more into Falcon rather than Halion and own the Beat Agent 4 and Retrologue 2 already. Update from 8 is only 19.99 EU and gives 64bit mixing and another Wavetable synth to compliment the new Ableton's Wavetable.

The same with Wavelab Elements, update from LE 8 (Free) to Elements 9.5 is only 29.99 EU which can be used as a dedicated audio editor in both Cubase and Live. With an even cheaper upgrade price from 9.5 to 10, for just 19.99 EU usually. I own Ozone 8 Advanced, but started with Wavelab and for certain ocassions still love to do mastering in there. Both are complementing each other nicely for a mastering purpose.

I'm not updating with every version being released, only for a very interesting one. But so glad with the options. With Live Suite 10 and Cubase/Wavelab Elements 9.5 my life is complete. I started with the DOS version of Cakewalk, but currently have no interest with other DAWs, only those two. Both provide a very different approach and an exciting development that I really enjoy to catch-up with.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

thebutler wrote:And by all accounts, there's more goodness to come in a v9.5.10 maintenance update, in just a few weeks time..! Its got lots of bug fixes, apparently...

:tu: :party:
I really don't understand this logic of happy clapping shitty business practices.

Steinberg knowingly released a bugged paid update. They claimed they'd already fixed the bugs on release day so why then is the update not already released?

This stinks of Steinberg holding back fixes in order to thicken out their softube console 1 update for after the new year.

@wickfut wrote '..I really don't understand this logic..'

There's only so many testers, and only so many features/bugs each can physically test per day... what they've released, at this point, is perfectly good fun and stable; so that yes, they can earn some money.! Nothing 'shitty' about that.

And it doesn't 'stink' that a company holds-back some fixes, a certain feature, or some nice other tweaks to a later update. They'd never release anything if they waited for everything to be fixed/included before trying to sell you something.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote:
There's only so many testers, and only so many features/bugs each can physically test per day... what they've released, at this point, is perfectly good fun and stable; so that yes, they can earn some money.! Nothing 'shitty' about that.
that's pure speculation on your part about the inner workings of the software company.

It's "perfectly good fun and stable" so long as you don't trigger the bugs and crash the thing.

Claiming to know about bugs on release day, claiming to have already spent time fixing some of them, but releasing early with a version without those fixes is about as shitty as you can get.
And it doesn't 'stink' that a company holds-back some fixes......
and this is the point I'll just cut you off as it's not worth continuing any further discussion with you. This is £500 software we're talking about, not some free demoware junk.

Does the browser also show your 3rd party VST's as images?

cranium wrote:Does the browser also show your 3rd party VST's as images?
No. But it does show Halion 6, Dark Planet etc. Probably the same as in 9

Thanks.

The Direct Offline Processing window streamlines my workflow. Of course, the 'plugin process' key commands are quicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7WVKo3XDTk

vespesian wrote:It's as though Steinberg suddenly woke up, because 9.5 is really good. I'm actually kinda surprised.
Agree fully on that one - is there some new blood in management that really inspire all staff like never before, or?

I just had a look at my long awaited custom click patterns things - and absolutely love it.
This was a biggy for me - freedom to create any feel in clicks for any situation.
And how easy you create a click track as well - well done.
Then you always have it there no matter where you start transport.
Rather than using pre-roll or count-in I just make markers on a special recording marker track where I want to start - so could be in the middle of a bar. And using count-in you always jumped back to full bar.

Only things left - that is really needed:
a) full context help - and no need to be online to get anything.
It's pdf manual now - and even find that rather good in last years - but to just rightclick or a helpbutton everywhere in dialogs etc - and just get into help for that part.

ProTools made their own help system and it works really well. So they are independent on platform. So relying on Windows help - one can see the difficulty in redoing very different thing on Mac. Just make you own help system for Cubase.

b) restore support staff to levels it used to be
One thing to have peaks for certain period after release for a product - but constantly having almost unresponsive support is not what you expect if to aspire to professionals and for real compete with ProTools.

It could be staff more present on Issue-forum for a dialog - that would be superb.

We are all in this together - users/cstuomers and developers - and everybody wins.

The only thing I'm missing in Direct Offline Processing is presets! But that could be solved with Blue Cat Audio Patchwork.

kiezum wrote:The only thing I'm missing in Direct Offline Processing is presets! But that could be solved with Blue Cat Audio Patchwork.
Preset for DOP is a huge +1 ... I don't know why I didn't think of solving that with Patchworks. GREAT IDEA, thank you for standing in for my brain.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Really liking this update.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Romantique Tp wrote:There have been reports about 64-bit summing reducing ASIO/CPU load. This might depend on the plugins used.
Where did you hear such a thing? The 64 bit processing only happens with a the steinberg plugins and a couple others and has nothing to do with ASIO load. And, it takes a tiny bit MORE CPU.
Here's a quick test someone did: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 0&t=126461
5Lives wrote:So for those that have tried 9.5 and have other DAWs, how does Cubase compare now? To Logic X? To Pro Tools 12.8.2?

I feel these three all are pretty similar now in terms of features (maybe PT has less production-focused features, but that doesn't stop producers from using it). So which one to choose?
Cubase is the most fully featured DAW around, but its strongest points are MIDI, virtual instrument handling and other composer-oriented features.

Pro Tools is pretty barebones, and is almost entirely dedicated to audio recording and mixing. Cubase makes Pro Tools look freeware when it comes to MIDI or anything related to composing.

Logic is the DAW that's the closest to Cubase, but I feel that Logic has always been several steps behind. Cubase again does MIDI better, and audio editing is overall more robust.

Romantique Tp wrote: Here's a quick test someone did: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 0&t=126461
He's delusional. The 64bit processing isn't even being used in his scenario he describes.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”