searching for a cheap alternative to sylenth1 (yes it's another "alternate to" thread) but need help

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nielzie wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
braj wrote:Synthmaster One is on sale this month for $40, and if you do the demo and let it time out, it is only $32. It is a wavetable synth with lots of waveforms.
This. ^^^

For the money is a no-brainer! :tu:

SynthMaster One is a single layer UI, with 4 oscillators (counting the 2 subs).

You can load many waveforms, including single cycle waveforms, into the subs (except for wavetables).
Each SynthMaster One oscillator has an associated sub oscillator, for use as an audible signal generator or a main oscillator modulation source.
Waveform: Sets the sub oscillator to output a Sine, Triangle, Square or Sawtooth wave, one of eight
noise types, or a wave from SynthMaster One's Waveforms library.

I can't speak for the OP but I don't consider sub oscillators as oscillators because there is very little you can do with them.

And to answer somebody else, layering 2 synths with 2 oscillators each is not the same as having a 4 oscillator synth for obvious reasons that I'm not going to get into.
I know, but how many of your sounds use all 4 oscillators? Besides, I think mixing different synths is an interesting approach (and widely used afaik), because you can get sounds that you couldn't make with one of them.
Sure, I'm not saying mixing synths is a bad thing. When I was all hardware, I did it constantly. But my thinking is, I'd rather have something even if I don't always use it than need something that I don't have. Imagine every synth only came with 2 oscillators. I could never make a patch with a lead with a 3 octave spread where each oscillator covered a different octave. And that's a very basic thing. And I do a lot of 4 oscillator stuff on the synths that have 4 oscillators simply because I CAN do it. I mean not a lot of synths have 4 oscillators. So I take advantage of it when I can.

wagtunes wrote:
Well, I have SM One and I'm not saying that they aren't useful or that I don't use them, but they have limited functionality compared to a regular oscillator.
I don't really think that subs need the full functionality of the main oscillators. They can be useful for fattening up, or sweetening the overall sound. Exactly what they were designed for. SM One was designed for rapid sound design in a simple one layer layout and workflow, and it has enough oscillators to perform that role effectively.

If you need more, there are plenty of mega synths to choose from.

Sometime you can do more in less time with a simple sheet of paper and a piece of charcoal, than with a large canvas and a full set of paints and artist brushes ... :)
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Well, I have SM One and I'm not saying that they aren't useful or that I don't use them, but they have limited functionality compared to a regular oscillator.
I don't really think that subs need the full functionality of the main oscillators. They can be useful for fattening up, or sweetening the overall sound. Exactly what they were designed for. SM One was designed for rapid sound design in a simple one layer layout and workflow, and it has enough oscillators to perform that role effectively.

If you need more, there are plenty of mega synths to choose from.

Sometime you can do more in less time with a simple sheet of paper and a piece of charcoal, than with a large canvas and a full set of paints and artist brushes ... :)
I am not arguing with any of this. But the OP wants a fully functional 4 oscillator synth, meaning 4 "fully capable oscillators" and SM One is NOT that kind of synth.

It's like telling somebody who wants a 20 bedroom home that this 2 bedroom home is perfectly fine for he and his wife and their kid. Maybe it is. But if he wants a 20 bedroom home, he wants a 20 bedroom home and trying to sell him a 2 bedroom home is pointless.

Say he wanted a petrol car but you convinced him that an electric car would be just as good, if not better. He would still have a car but you could say you saved the planet.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Say he wanted a petrol car but you convinced him that an electric car would be just as good, if not better. He would still have a car but you could say you saved the planet.
:lol:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Aloysius wrote:Say he wanted a petrol car but you convinced him that an electric car would be just as good, if not better? He would still have a car but you could say you saved the planet.
Nobody is saving the planet by not buying a 4 oscillator synth.

Hey, I don't really care what the OP does. But trying to convince somebody that they don't need 4 oscillators when they want 4 oscillators is a waste of time. And for some people, like me, it's an even bigger waste of time because when I've made up my mind that I want a particular kind of synth, I'm not going to settle. End of story.

I'm still waiting for somebody to make a "not me too" synth that truly is so unique that it can do things that other synths simply can't do. Sugar Bytes seems to be the only company that truly goes in that direction. I honestly don't have one other synth that does what Cyclops does. Of course the synth is monophonic and it's kind of a one trick pony, but man it does that trick like nothing else.

Where are THOSE synths?

I'm still waiting.

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

A cheap alternative to Sylenth I would assume would mean cheaper, so that's why I said Synthmaster One. Yes, it does have 2 oscillators and 2 subs, but those subs aren't really subs, but more like co-oscillators. They may be limited but they are not that limited.

Again, it costs only $32 this month. I think it competes rather well as a Sylenth alternative.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:A cheap alternative to Sylenth I would assume would mean cheaper, so that's why I said Synthmaster One. Yes, it does have 2 oscillators and 2 subs, but those subs aren't really subs, but more like co-oscillators. They may be limited but they are not that limited.
I would agree. The OP did say cheap was a requirement. And since you can load ANY single cycle waveform into the subs, they are not that limited.

For the money, there is nothing else even close.

I would recommend at least a test drive with the demo to rule it out, before spending more...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

The OP also said they like Hive, which has a two main osc/two sub setup, so I think SM One is a good recommendation for them.

Well if the OP comes back and clarifies that sub oscillators count as regular oscillators for his purpose, then yes, SM One is a no brainer at that price. But for just a few bucks more you can get Synthmaster which is vastly superior as far as what it's capable of doing.

egbert101 wrote:Image
:lol:

wagtunes wrote:Well if the OP comes back and clarifies that sub oscillators count as regular oscillators for his purpose, then yes, SM One is a no brainer at that price. But for just a few bucks more you can get Synthmaster which is vastly superior as far as what it's capable of doing.
as you said in your previous post regarding the +/-3 octave spread of oscillates for making ear filling type sound
i consider them as co-oscillators as some one in the post had mentioned until it can be octave shifted till -3 with any simple waveform
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

by the way has anyone here used xpand2 seems interesting and is free on dontcrack's site
i am afraid to try it because the 1.8 gig on 128kbps network will take hours to download is it worth that much time ??
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Return to “Instruments”