Waldorf Largo + PPG Wave 3.V + Waldorf Edition: 64-bit/VST3/AAX updates

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo PPG Wave 3.V Waldorf Edition: Attack Waldorf Edition: D-Pole Waldorf Edition: PPG Wave 2.V

raymondwave wrote: I tried to load a few presets from both PPG Wave 3.V and 2.V and still 3.V loads some presets wrong. It's unbelievable.
Do you mean the parameters are different or they just do soudn different?

If they just sound different did you try to use the "2.V" True PPG mode in PPG Wave 3V after the 2-V presets were loaded?
The "2.2" and "2.3" True PPG modes were introduced with PPG 3V and they are closer to the real thing which includes the envelopes, filter behavior and other stuff like the playback bit-depth of the waveforms etc.

Overall PPG Wave 3.V is as close as possible to the real thing (closer than 2.V was) and it is possible that 2.V patches do NOT sound exactly similar, especially with teh 2.2 and 2.3 TruePPG modes.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
raymondwave wrote: I tried to load a few presets from both PPG Wave 3.V and 2.V and still 3.V loads some presets wrong. It's unbelievable.
Do you mean the parameters are different or they just do soudn different?

If they just sound different did you try to use the "2.V" True PPG mode in PPG Wave 3V after the 2-V presets were loaded?
The "2.2" and "2.3" True PPG modes were introduced with PPG 3V and they are closer to the real thing which includes the envelopes, filter behavior and other stuff like the playback bit-depth of the waveforms etc.

Overall PPG Wave 3.V is as close as possible to the real thing (closer than 2.V was) and it is possible that 2.V patches do NOT sound exactly similar, especially with teh 2.2 and 2.3 TruePPG modes.
Just noticed that there still seems to be a bug that is alraedy quite old and that i had mentioned to the Waldorf guys many times in the past.
Now with teh new develepr it might be finally solved.

Besides what i mentioned in my previous post which is true too the problem with imported 2.V patches was that after re-loading a host project or re-loading an imported 2.V patch that was re-asaved on PPG 3.V two of teh keytracking parameters in the MOD page are changed. To be precise those arte the filter and waves keytracking values and those indeed lead to a diffeernt sounding patch.

In the past i had used a workaroudnd that works this way:
- load the 2.V bank or patch
- save the bank or patch in PPG Wave 3.V format
- re-load the patch which now has the wrong keytrack parameters
- correct the Filter and Waves keytrack parameters at the MOD page in PPG 3.V
- in the DIGI menu change the "TruePPG" mode to "2.V" (see my previous post above this)
- save the bank or patch again in PPG 3.V

Now the bank or patch should be loaded properly.

For receiving the correct keytracking values you need to use PPG Wave 2.V for comparison or note the parameters after you loaded the bank/patch the first time (before saving and re-loading the bank/patch).
You could also use a second instance of PPG 3.V for that.

I'll also mention this to the Waldorf developer ASAP and hopefully this could be finally solved soon.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

That's the same bug. I reported it five years ago and was under the impression it should be fixed already. It's a major bug for me as it makes the synth unreliable, I don't want to use a synth that may or may not sound the same next time I load a project.

There's also a nasty bug that crashes Studio One when you drag anything over the GUI. May not sound like a big thing for users of other DAW, but since Studio One is heavily based on drag'n'dropping, it crashes very often.

I am not allowed to tell reasons why this bug was not fixed yet but you could be sure i dicussed this more than one one time in the past.
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

What's the copy protection these days for Largo? They've gone away from the e-licenser, right?

jsp1979 wrote:What's the copy protection these days for Largo? They've gone away from the e-licenser, right?
A simple serial number protection for all Waldorf plugins now. The old eLicenser protected plugins will no longer be updated and the eLicenser installers are no longer available at the official website.

If you got the original eLicenser activation code (not the license storeed at the dongle!!!) in the "MyWaldorf" account you could convert this to a new serial. Anyway the elicenser license will still work.
Ingo Weidner

I don't have a licenser nor do I want one, so this is good news.

Hi,
I got a question. I love the Waldorf Stuff and own a PULSE (original), ROCKET, STREICHFETT and BLOFELD. I love their older wavetable hardware Synth but I don´t want to own them because they are old, expensive and need maintanance. I already own a lot 80th hardware synth and it really is bocoming more pain than joy.

I love to buy the WALDORF PPG v3 as a plugin but holy moses, 149 bucks is a lot for a softsynth with indeed very small GUI items you cannot resize. I think that is a bit outdated.

Does WALDORF do sales sometimes?

Thanks a lot / Cheers

P.S.
very good news that no e-licencer is needed any more. I love that kind of philosophy some good companies have nowadays. Like KLANGHELM, VALHALLA DSP, U-HE and some more.

nichttuntun wrote:Hi,
I got a question. I love the Waldorf Stuff and own a PULSE (original), ROCKET, STREICHFETT and BLOFELD. I love their older wavetable hardware Synth but I don´t want to own them because they are old, expensive and need maintanance. I already own a lot 80th hardware synth and it really is bocoming more pain than joy.

I love to buy the WALDORF PPG v3 as a plugin but holy moses, 149 bucks is a lot for a softsynth with indeed very small GUI items you cannot resize. I think that is a bit outdated.

Does WALDORF do sales sometimes?
There was a 50% off sale until just 5 days ago (until 19th of November)...

For existing customers sales are usually mentioned in a newsletter e-mail and/or mentioned at Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/WaldorfMusic

Updates for the plugins have been alraedy released recently and more are work in progress while this at the moment mostly includes bug fixes.
Besides a new developer for the plugin updates (as mentioned earlier here) the beta testing process is currently changed a bit too while i am not allowed to tell details there..
Ingo Weidner

Hello. Thank you for the informative reply. Oh no. I am just a few days too late... what a pity. For about 75 euro I wouldn't think twice, I would have bought immediately. I think I have to sign up the newsletter and have to wait :)

Return to “Instruments”