Black Rooster Audio releases the VPRE-73

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

nicksohn wrote:copy protection?
They've rolled their own, online and offline catered for, a simple license key is all you need. Very easy and unobtrusive.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

SeeingInMidi wrote: You should also complain to Kush and IK and many other companies that use a steep high cut due to anti-aliasing :wink:
only to Kush, since all IK plugins I have used got anti-alias filtering only as option and I still think that it SHOULD be done exactly this way - because its the USER who should decide if some filtering is benefical or not for given audio source - but YMMV... :wink:
Last edited by kvaca on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

double

Slate FG-73 doesn't have a high frequency roll off - so it's either aliasing badly, or they just know how to do this correctly. Of course it doesn't cost 20 bucks either.

sfxsound3 wrote:Slate FG-73 doesn't have a high frequency roll off - so it's either aliasing badly, or they just know how to do this correctly. Of course it doesn't cost 20 bucks either.
i would go for the third option - it actually does have a HF roll off...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
sfxsound3 wrote:Slate FG-73 doesn't have a high frequency roll off - so it's either aliasing badly, or they just know how to do this correctly. Of course it doesn't cost 20 bucks either.
i would go for the third option - it actually does have a HF roll off...
It must be invisible then, because VST Plugin Analyzer says there isn't. Can you show it?

Regarding interpolation/aa filters in oversampling: It's true that it's impossible to design such filters in a way that they become entirely transparent. What does intransparency in that context mean though? We're talking about <0.002 dB passband ripple in the 20k region, linear phase. Guess what your converter does - yep, at fs=44.1k it applies an *analog* reconstruction filter in just that 20k region to suppress spectral images. Hard to achieve remotely comparable specs in the analog domain, especially the linear phase part. So to me, the whole debate of how oversampling itself - if done right - actually audibly affects your signal is more of theoretical nature.
Black Rooster Audio
https://blackroosteraudio.com
Wuppertal, Germany

kvaca wrote: only to Kush, since all IK plugins I have used got anti-alias filtering only as option and I still think that it SHOULD be done exactly this way - because its the USER who should decide if some filtering is benefical or not for given audio source - but YMMV... :wink:
The IK plugins don't let you chose whether to disable the "antialiasing" filter, they let you chose whether to disable internal up and down sampling (which very obviously also affects CPU usage). Of course, if you disable that, there is no need for a filter anymore.
If a developer uses up/downsampling it is his responsibility to provide a good antialiasing filter, because as far as i understood, the filter is the very down sampling process, and if you omit that, you'd only have an upsampled signal with possibly lots of frequencies content above nyquist which would, tadah, result in aliasing.
That is if I understood the whole aliasing/oversampling process correctly, @BlackRooster, please correct me if I am wrong! (Hey, you're from Wuppertal. I used to live there in 94/95. But to be frank, I wasn't very sad when I left ;) )

fese wrote: If a developer uses up/downsampling it is his responsibility to provide a good antialiasing filter..
correct...especialy if he forces you to use it /=oversampling is not optional in plugin/
but major problem still is - some devs force us to use oversampling all the time, even if there is no reason for it, resulting in wasted cpu cycles and filtered sound...or added latency and preringing, in case when linear phase filtering is used...

kvaca wrote:
fese wrote: correct...especialy if he forces you to use it /=oversampling is not optional in plugin/
but major problem still is - some devs force us to use oversampling all the time, even if there is no reason for it, resulting in wasted cpu cycles and filtered sound...or added latency and preringing, in case when linear phase filtering is used...
Well, if a developer uses oversampling, there is usually a good reason for it, most likely as a means to reduce aliasing in nonlinear processes.
And if the amplitude of the preringing is, as blackrooster stated, 0.002dB at ~20kHz, it is really a theoretical problem.
Latency, well, depends on how much it is and on the situation. For mixing, not a problem, for recording, depends.
CPU usage i agree with you, e.g. with the IK plugins I tend to switch off the oversampling, cause they use way too much CPU with it engaged, especially the channel strips. So, yes, it is nice to have an option for "low" quality, especially in things like guitar sims where you actually record through.
But "major problem" and "forces" seems a bit steep to me - I mean, nobody forces you to use these plugs, right?
ok, back to the plugin - is it any good ;-) what would I use it for?

I think folks should look again at Kush’s AA filtering. From what I’ve seen, the assertions made and repeated here are either dated or groundless.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cprompt wrote:
They've rolled their own, online and offline catered for, a simple license key is all you need. Very easy and unobtrusive.
It's one serial to unlock all your licenses isn't it? I like that :tu:

MogwaiBoy wrote:
cprompt wrote:
It's one serial to unlock all your licenses isn't it? I like that :tu:
That is right.
It's easy if you know how

So how does it sound ;)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”