Slumps: Do you ever feel like giving up, as a sound designer?

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, as I've hit a real down period in my sound design, I don't sell many sets, recently. maybe three each, for my latest, (Zebra, Serum, and Synplant) I've working on a new site(while learning front end webdesign) so my site is really crap, at the moment. Even when it was better, my sales had become almost none. I feel I've gotten much better lately but still all most no sales. I have some bad habits, I've been trying hard to over come: procrastination, spending to much time spectating, on social media, look at mostly synths and art sites, and probably two of my biggest, and most damaging: posting projects I've started, and never finishing them and kind of lazy marketing. I've been trying hard to break these, and feel I've made some progress. Have you had these issues?
Thanks for any opinions.

Synth programming (sound design is for me something else) is fun but it can also be frustrating if you try to do this as a business.
I started my own little project over 5 years ago as a side thing and I've got some insight to share:
- Your presets must be the best you can come up with. If you think a preset not good enough, scrap it. No fillers allowed.
- Program the sounds you think people will want to hear or better, program sounds you love yourself.
- Don't announce a release date until the bank is ready. If you're late delivering, customers won't take you seriously.
- Presentation is very important to get sales. You need a good-looking website or use a platform. You need nice art but you also need great audio demos. If you can't make them yourself, have someone else do that for you.
- The price of the bank is secondary. People are more likely to pay good money for quality stuff than little for low quality. Don't forget who you're trying to sell to.
- You need to engage with your audience through social media. Pick your favourite platform and stick to it.
- Find some personal trick to keep you focused. I love to decide the name for a bank and design the bank art as I start programming. I also like to stick to a routine.

All of the above won't do magic. There are times when I get lots of sales and others when I get only a few. Still, I don't do it for money or fame. The day it's not fun anymore, I'll stop doing it.
Hope that helps get your spirits up.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

'Synth programming (sound design is for me something else) is fun but it can also be frustrating if you try to do this as a business.'...
Synth programming could be every turn of the knobs,but try to use it then in a project - sound design to me is about all useful,innovative,original,fresh,exciting new stuff you can manufacture and offer to a hungry for new sound people - unfortunately not so much are willing to pay and i am thankful to my old users which probably like my stuff and buy every new set i make.Cheerz :)

Thanks guys! Some great perspectives, and it is certainly a spirit booster to hear from the KVR family :hug:

Maybe the market is kinda oversaturated and modern pop music is rather generic and directionless at the moment? There does not seem to be a pushing trend in any direction like there was with edm 4 years ago where every one wanted to sound like Hardwell etc.

Price is definetly a factor and there must be a perceived value for money... eg Xenos presets are well priced in the genre that i want to do eg Synthwave eg Sylenth for Synthwave preset packs are about 9 to 12 Dollars but other designers sets for the same are incredibly high and not even worth a second look no matter what the quality and how awesome the demos are. Also if soundset is more than 20% of the plugins list price i automatically ignore it as it is way over priced. Reputation, personal consistancy and quality control is also a big factor for me.

Demos get my attention but price and perceived value and project requirements are definitely a buy factor.... then again Scott you are on my facebook and i have seen more of your artwork than your presets being displayed, so my perception is becoming that you are not doing sound designing anymore?? :scared:

just my 2 cents

Combine your sound design with your songwriting. Your finished tune can promote your presets. You'll be working on both at the same time, so you won't feel like you should be spending more time on one or the other.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

You may also pick a theme before you start. For example create 100 presets that evoke the vision of cold winter, english breakfast, a walkabout underwater exploration Etc. Kinda like you do with the art.

Seaking of art. What to do if you have NO art skills and NO budget?

Keep your chin up.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote:You may also pick a theme before you start. For example create 100 presets that evoke the vision of cold winter, english breakfast, a walkabout underwater exploration Etc. Kinda like you do with the art.

Seaking of art. What to do if you have NO art skills and NO budget?

Keep your chin up.
Thanks :) As for art, hmm, most of mine is free style, as I have no formal training, I'd say Youtube tutorials for skills, and a zero budget. Also, there is a good number of freeware programs for Android, and Iphone, I just switched to IPhone, but I still have an Android Tablet, and I use both.

Aloysius wrote:Combine your sound design with your songwriting. Your finished tune can promote your presets. You'll be working on both at the same time, so you won't feel like you should be spending more time on one or the other.

Certainly a good idea, making a song to make demo audio. Which speaks to another bad habit for me, which is patience, I start slowly and it seems to start fine, and sounds good, but I get antsy, and start rushing it, on both songs, and preset design.

In the end - go with your heart. Pay attention to what feels right for you. Not for any preconceived notion of a genre or audience.

Just do what is true - to you.

dnekm wrote:In the end - go with your heart. Pay attention to what feels right for you. Not for any preconceived notion of a genre or audience.

Just do what is true - to you.
Perfect! I found this out the hard way, I based my first Serum preset library, around some tutorials I watched, believing I had made some good versions of what were good versions of popular sounds, but probably ended up being to formulaic, thus it was a flop, I think I sold 4 sets. Bad idea! Seems the best sellers I've had, were just free style sounds. That said, a good idea of basic sounds, guitar, ARP, perc, organs, is probably a good idea, but only at a base level.

quality of the presets,their usability and innovations and the sells on the other hand are totally different story - increasing sells is difficult ,but if the set is well made users write feedback - it's sad that modern music don't requare serious new digital format and rules and try to sell mp3 - sound design should be industry but its more like hobby - i am happy to be able to make original sounds cuz gives me different perspective as songwriter and all i make from soundesign go for buying new soft synths and stuff so i guess its like we support developers more than dj and kids with milions views on youtube...respect to everyone supporting developers or develop something cheerz :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote:quality of the presets,their usability and innovations and the sells on the other hand are totally different story - increasing sells is difficult ,but if the set is well made users write feedback - it's sad that modern music don't requare serious new digital format and rules and try to sell mp3 - sound design should be industry but its more like hobby - i am happy to be able to make original sounds cuz gives me different perspective as songwriter and all i make from soundesign go for buying new soft synths and stuff so i guess its like we support developers more than dj and kids with milions views on youtube...respect to everyone supporting developers or develop something cheerz :)
:tu:

Don't consider myself to be a professional sound designer by any means, but as a junior hobbyist i might have two cents to spare.
abstractcats wrote: Certainly a good idea, making a song to make demo audio. Which speaks to another bad habit for me, which is patience, I start slowly and it seems to start fine, and sounds good, but I get antsy, and start rushing it, on both songs, and preset design.
Rushing any sound (set) design project can result into saving unfinished ideas and keeping them for the sake of moving on to another patch, and another until you have an entire folder full of sounds that aren't representative of your own creative goals. It ends up becoming a goal of numbers. Possible fuel for apathy (for me at least). Feel free to take your time. Even if a single patch/sound takes weeks or more to finish.
abstractcats wrote:So, as I've hit a real down period in my sound design, I don't sell many sets
Don't let a lack of sales detour you away from sound design or making commercial presets. Figures don't always reflect your skills as an artist. The demand for sound sets aren't exactly strong, which is one of the many reasons why i've always gone into it as a hobby. Something fun to do. A creative outlet of sorts.

As others and yourself have already implied.. presentation, marketing, and outward appearances do make a difference in sales and overall interest, but if you aren't focusing more on the former then obligation kicks in, and enthusiasm gets a good kick in the head. So, what's the use in the latter?

You might also consider offering a free demo of your sound sets. That way people can get a hands on experience of your product and more incentive to purchase the full set.

My dream was to be scientist and to discover or invent something...anyway it doesn't happened so probably sound design is the way old dream to come true for a while - but let's admit it ,its not business but personal ambition result of which can buy sometimes new synths :):):)Enjoy you time ...few days to new Star wars :)

Return to “Soundware”